Filename of wad is ignored

After a long time I finally started Doomsday Engine again, it's version 1.9.0.beta6.9
I have the Doom game installed, the game data file is set to path/to/file/doomUltimate.wad
Everything is fine.

But then I updated to 1.9.8 (also tried 1.9.9) the game data file is still the same but now deng tells me it couldn't find the doom.wad, so I copied the wad and named the copy doom.wad and it worked. So it seems the file name in the game data file setting is ignored in the newer versions.

Comments

• For the 1.9.x series there were some fundamental changes in the way games and their resource files are managed. This was necessary in order to give the user the ability to dynamically change games at any time from the in-game console (and so that the engine can recognise data files and attribute them to a game component without user instruction).

Essentially, the user no longer tells the engine "play game XYZ using game data file ABC" and instead, says "I want to play game XYZ. Here is a game data file ABC that you might need OR, you can find game data files in directory ABC".

In a future version, once all configuration can be done at runtime within Doomsday, we will then re-introduce support for users who wish to rename the games' data files.
  • I see, ok then.
    But, when started for the first time, Deng (1.9.8) asked me for all the wad files for all the games instead of ask me for one folder with all the wads which seem to be more user friendly if the file name is ignored anyway.
  • Yeah, that is a legacy artefact... The frontend is being retired very shortly and will be replaced with runtime configuration in the engine itself. We decided that because this was imminent that it wasn't worth spending any time on updating the frontend.