Problems with dedicated server settings

edited 2012 Aug 3 in Technical Support
I have been able to get the lan server for ultimate doom working, but i'm getting really frustrated trying to get it set up they way i like it. i'm trying to lan this with all my friends but this is making it not possible.
some of my cvars in autoexec.cfg load but they will start with wrong values, its wierd this is how i have it set up

net-ip-port = 13209
net-master-port = 13209
server-name "jacknifesvilla"
server-info "hardserver"
server-game-skill 4
server-game-respawn 0
game-fastmonsters 1
server-game-respawn-monsters-nightmare = 0
server-player-limit 4
server-public 1
net init tcpip
net server start
game-fastmonsters 1
server-game-coop-nodamage 1
server-game-episode 3
server-game-map 1

then when i run the server, in the server box it will load up as
net-ip-port = 0
net-master-port = 0
game-fastmonsters 0
and other wierd behavours that i just cant figure out how to get them to work properly! very frustrating it took me so long for it to be able to be registered on the master server! any help or input would be nice i just want a lan server on nightmare difficulty with no respawning monsters AND so that the players cant respawn each level. that would be very fun

Comments

• JACKNIFE wrote:
    I have been able to get the lan server for ultimate doom working, but i'm getting really frustrated trying to get it set up they way i like it.
    I feel your pain. At present the UI for running your own servers is quite abysmal, and I wouldn't recommend it for everyday gaming. We're still effectively in Multiplayer Testing mode; the recommended way to play MP is to connect to the "deng team" public test servers and report any issues here on the forums. (Although it's not possible to customize the game settings on the public servers.)

Some notes about your .cfg file:
    net-ip-port = 13209
    This is the default incoming server port for Doomsday, and is equivalent to setting it to the value 0.
    net-master-port = 13209
    You should never touch this variable unless you've set up your own master server. Leave it at zero when using the master at http://www.dengine.net.
    net init tcpip
    Remove this. Manually initializing the TCP/IP subsystem is not needed any more. It was used back in the day when Doomsday still had alternate network drivers like for serial COM lines and modem over telephone line. Nowadays there's only TCP/IP and it's always enabled by default.
    net server start
    If you're starting the dedicated server from the Snowberry launcher, also remove this line. (If you're starting from the command line, use "-dedicated -server".)
    game-fastmonsters 1
    After the server is started, any variables set will take effect only after a new map gets loaded.
    server-game-episode 3
    server-game-map 1
    There's a bug with these: the actual episode and map that get loaded are +1 the values set here. E.g., "server-game-map 3" actually means map 4. We'll fix this later.

I'll try to arrange some time in the coming months to focus more on improving multiplayer. It's been a while since I did that previously...
  • That would be awesome if you devs kept developin! this is a really sweet project and i wish i could help develop.

anyhow i tinkered with it and revised things and all is almost well, its really easy to connect to from anywhere cause of that handy dandy master server browser and its fun but the last two problems i am having is that you can re spawn in coop, and on nightmare the monsters are like they are in any other skill, slow slow slow, dodging missiles and such is not a challenge. if there is any way to fix these two things, i would have one kick ass coop game going and it would be played at every lan party :D here is my autoexec

server-name "jacknifesvilla"
    server-info "hardserver"

server-game-skill 4 <- it seems like they do nightmare damage but without the speed
    server-game-respawn 0 <-- i think this is a single player cvar or something but i really don't like that you can respawn in coop, feels too much like deathmatch and that dying has no consequences you know?

server-game-jump 0
    server-game-coop-respawn-items 0
    server-game-respawn-monsters-nightmare 0 <--- they don't re spawn which is good :)
    player-move-speed .75
    server-game-mod-damage 1
    server-game-mod-health 2

server-player-limit 15
    server-public 1

server-game-episode 2
    server-game-map 0
  • nobody has the answers eh? :(
  • Player respawn can't be disabled in a network game. It wouldn't make much sense if your server filled up with dead players who can't play. What would you have happen?

It is a known issue that the monsters don't move fast on the nightmare skill when playing co-op.