Why did they change Doomsday after 1.8.6

edited 2012 Jun 26 in General
Why all the changes to Doomsday after 1.8.6? I suppose the graphics are better and they got rid of the annoying timedemo in Doom with the use of the new model packs, but I get stuck on walls, there's no crosshair, and the wrong music plays for certain levels or no music at all. The readme is outdated too, so where am I supposed to put audio DED, MD2 textures, and PK3 files now? If ask me everthing worked fine until I tried 1.9.8.

Comments

• As I mentioned in this other thread of yours, it sounds like you are running with old out of date add-ons. There are a couple of really old add-ons which produce all the symptoms you have described.

The crosshair can be enabled from the HUD options menu.

The readme isn't outdated at all, in fact the last update was only three days ago.
  • Why all the changes to Doomsday after 1.8.6?
    On a general level, the answer is simply that standing still does not motivate any of the devs to work on the project. In order for the project to stay alive, we must move forward. Also, the rest of the software world is moving forward; 1.8.6 is quite outdated technologically and really was only ever intended to run on old versions of Windows (98/XP), whereas the newer releases target a wide variety of platforms including Mac OS X and Linux.

You are welcome to keep using 1.8.6 or some other old release if it suits your needs. Our intent is that the old stable versions will remain available indefinitely.
    so where am I supposed to put audio DED, MD2 textures, and PK3 files now?
    If you're using the Doomsday Frontend (a.k.a. Snowberry), you can place them anywhere you like and let the frontend know about the folders using the "My Addon Folders" setting. The recognized addons will then appear in the frontend's list and you can check which ones you wish to use.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    As I mentioned in this other thread of yours, it sounds like you are running with old out of date add-ons. There are a couple of really old add-ons which produce all the symptoms you have described.

The readme isn't outdated at all, in fact the last update was only three days ago.

That you this help. Now I just need to figure out where to get newer add-ons.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    As I mentioned in this other thread of yours, it sounds like you are running with old out of date add-ons. There are a couple of really old add-ons which produce all the symptoms you have described.

Funny you say that since the readme for 1.8.6 and 1.9.8 say exactly the same thing.
  • DaniJ wrote:

Funny you say that since the readme for 1.8.6 and 1.9.8 say exactly the same thing.
    The updated readme is in the unstable 1.9.9