Can't start any game [#535]

edited 2012 Jun 19 in Technical Support
I need help. I just updated from I think build 525 to the latest one and now whenever I try to start any game, I get an error that says "Couldn't open message output file: Doomsday.out". After I exit out the error it takes me to the console. If I try to use the load command for any game, it tells me that the .WAD file is missing.

Comments

• i am able to load games but some of the resources do not load. where do you have your wads located?
  • in a separated folder placed on the desktop labeled "Games". I have had them there for as long as I have had DE installed on my computer.
  • i would test the wads in the game specific j directory and see if that dose not work
  • edited 2012 Jun 19
    tested the Ultimate Doom WAD the way you said it. It still gives me the same error and takes me to the console. However, I am able to load the .wad file afterwards but then leaves me without any of the addons loaded X(
  • possibly but from loading doomsday with -v option i found that it's searching for the wads in there respected data folder witch is why Hexen-dk works for me
  • I have the verbose settings in the shared options set to level 2 so as to detect anything wrong, but at the same time, I am not able to scroll to the top of the list because there are so many lines of text.
  • then look to the doomsday.out file as thats what is created
  • Where is it usually found? I use Windows 7 64-bit
    EDIT: scratch that, I found it in the my documents folder. however, is there anyway I could attach the doomsday.out file to this thread?
    EDIT 2: opened it with Notepad, OMG ITS LONG
  • use the code tag and then copy it in to the post
  • :\ Could you guide me as to how to do it. I know nothing of the programming side of things but rather I know about the parts that power a computer and the specifications behind each part.
  • there is a button when posting call code copy and past the contents of the doomsday out in between the code tags (code]Contents of doomsday.out[/code)
  • now we just need the actual Contents as the doomsday out is just a text document
  • The whole thing or should I start at a certain point?
    EDIT: I know what to do now but I still need an answer for the question above
  • ah the who thing would be nice
  • Tryed that and the forum gave me:"Your message contains 1865758 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000."
    EDIT: I typically use the JDRP 1.01, Slide's skyboxes, Hi res textures and the classic doom music pack
  • so there is a limit but i would try having all the wads in the jdoom directory if you plan on playing doom and having the resource packages in jdoom/auto. no sub folders as i do not thing there is support for them.
  • Cerebus wrote:
    I need help. I just updated from I think build 525 to the latest one and now whenever I try to start any game, I get an error that says "Couldn't open message output file: Doomsday.out". After I exit out the error it takes me to the console. If I try to use the load command for any game, it tells me that the .WAD file is missing.
    There's a bug in the Windows build of #535 related to how command line options are passed from the Snowberry frontend to Doomsday. I've just started a new build #536, hopefully it will fix the issue.
  • Thank you, starts up normally now.
    :\ but now the heads of the two zombies at the beginning of E1M1 on doom are blue
  • Cerebus wrote:
    Thank you, starts up normally now.
    :\ but now the heads of the two zombies at the beginning of E1M1 on doom are blue
    That is a separate issue that will be addressed a bit later.