Buggy OpenAL

edited 2012 May 16 in Technical Support
Even though OpenAL opens and launches now, it is still very buggy. For example, I just played Doomsday using it a few minutes ago, and there is no music playing(although that has always been the case,since 1.9.0beta6 I'm guessing), the wrong sound effects are being played for the wrong things which includes but not limited to:
-moving up and down in the main menu gives you the sound of selecting something
-shooting your pistol at the beginning of E1M1 doesn't give you your regular pistol sound but rather the sound of alerting an imp and the sound of a dying pistol zombie as well as the sound of a door closing
that's all I've seen so far and any response would be nice :)
I have a X-Fi Titanium sound card, this should work fine w/o problems

Comments

• You can get music with OpenAL in the stable 1.9.8 using command line switches (-imusic sdlmixer is my favourite, since I can use soundfonts).
    As for OpenAL playing the wrong sounds...I'm getting that bug too, for example in Doom 1 I hear the switch sound whenever I pick up something. Some (maybe a lot of) sounds are playing from the wrong position in my 5.1 setup, like the menu sounds playing on the front right speaker only at the start and then playing on the front left speaker while actually in the game (I think they should be centered, but that one's not a big deal); and a number of monsters/doors/pickups playing behind when they're in front and such...I think my gun's fire sound is coming from behind too...
    Windows 7 x64 using an X-Fi Fatality Titanium and 5.1 speakers.
    Doomsday 1.9.8 stable.
  • The OpenAL plugin does not implement any interface for music playback, so as Bloodbat suggests, the best option is to use another audio API for that using the -imusic and/or -icd command line options.

There are presently a few issues with the OpenAL plugin which we are aware of, including a sample buffering problem that results in the wrong sounds being heard.

Btw: You can also use DLS soundfonts with FMOD, you just instead specify the path to your font with the console variable music-soundfont.
  • Yeah...I tried that...I even converted my .sf2 font to .dls...but...didn't quite like it...so I'm now using a mix of fmod and sdlmixer (for the music).