Model Particles..? HELP!

edited 2009 Aug 11 in Technical Support
I can't seem to get these model particles to work. It works with texture particles, and I have everything else disabled to avoid problems.

Here's the definition for the model particle:
# Model Particles

Model {
  ID = "Particle20";
  Scale = 12;
  Md2 { File = "FX/Gibs/Stomach.md2"; Frame = "stand_1"; };
}

That same .md2 file loads properly elsewhere. I've tried this with and without the Frame definition, and with and without a Scale definition. I tried changing the ID to be anything from 00, the next after textures (06), and finally 20 to rule out any texture-model/ordering conflicts.

Here's the definition for the particle generator placed AFTERWARD in the queue; they're in two separate PK3s, and this one loads after the previous one:
### Explosion Gibs ###

Generator {
  State = "IMP_XDIE1";
  Flags = "gnf_static gnf_blend gnf_modelonly";
  Submodel = 0;
  Speed = 4;
  Speed rnd = 3;
  Spawn age = 17;
  Spawn radius = 1.5;
  Max age = 200;
  Particles = 100;
  Spawn rate = 7;
  Spawn Rnd = 0.3;
  Vector { 0 0 3 };
  Vector rnd = 4;
  Stage {
    Bounce = 0;
    Flags = "ptf_stagetouch";
    Gravity = 0.5;
    Frame = "stand_1";
    End frame = "stand_1";
    Resistance = 0.0;
    Radius = 12;
    Spin { 0.0 0.75 };
    Spin resistance = { 0.0 0.0 };
    Type = "pt_model20";
#    Type = "pt_tex01";
    Tics = 150;
#    Color { 1.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 };
  };
  Stage {
    Flags = "ptf_flat";
    Gravity = 0.5;
    Frame = "stand_1";
    End frame = "stand_1";
    Resistance = 1.0;
    Radius = 12;
    Spin resistance { 1.0 1.0 };
    Type = "pt_model20";
#    Type = "pt_tex01";
    Tics = 45;
#    Color { 1.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 };
  };
  Stage {
    Flags = "ptf_flat";
    Gravity = 0.5;
    Frame = "stand_1";
    End frame = "stand_1";
    Resistance = 1.0;
    Radius = 12;
    Spin resistance { 1.0 1.0 };
    Type = "pt_model20";
#    Type = "pt_tex01";
    Tics = 5;
#    Color { 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 };
  };
}

Color and Type are hashed out because I was alternating back and forth between models and particles to see if the particles themselves would work. I even tried using a combination of the two. Whenever the models were to be drawn, they were invisible.

I've tried to be a big boy and figure it out by myself for about four hours, but I must be missing or adding SOMETHING to the generator definition that isn't compatible with model particles.

And so I posted!

Thanks in advance,
-John
EDIT: My mistake - this must be a problem with deng right now, 'cause I notice that the barrel explosion model particles can't be seen either! Wow, I guess this has been an on-going problem then? Either that or it's just me... :((

Comments

• I don't know too much about this but thought i'd mention, have you been all through the Particle Generator docs + examples on the Wiki?
  • JonusC wrote:
    I don't know too much about this but thought i'd mention, have you been all through the Particle Generator docs + examples on the Wiki?

Well... The example I noticed was the one from the barrel explosion with the chunks of barrel. I was suprised that it was gotten around to, 'cause the last time I had downloaded the packs before the computer went down before, I hadn't noticed jDRP 1.1 Alpha, so I started up Doomsday to see how it looked, but the model particles didn't draw there, either...

So I figured that it's either something with the engine or something on my end...

System Specs:
    Windows Vista 32-bit, E8800 Wolfdale Core 2 Duo PIII 3.0 Ghz, 2 x 1Gb Transcend aXeRam PC9600, dual 1GB GeForce 9800GT in SLI, nForce 780i 3-way SLI motherboard, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio, etc.

:( I don't think the stuff is out-of-date, and I don't see why a video card (especially as nVidia is what Jake and Dani use) that's as up-to-date as the 9800 GT would make a difference anyway, and even if it would just affect the particles. :|
  • Yeah I don't think it's your computer. THat guy couldn't get "Cheb's More Blood" addon working either, something to do with particles. I'm sure skyjake and DaniJ would know about it already, but they've got a lot of things on their plate to release for Beta7.

I guess it's a bad time to be modding for Deng right now... or you could always make more models haha (i'm gonna try your Garg' shortly!). Maybe one of us should learn C... :P
  • JonusC wrote:
    Yeah I don't think it's your computer. THat guy couldn't get "Cheb's More Blood" addon working either, something to do with particles.
    The weird thing is that I could get Cheb's thing to work on my computer, and I posted a pk3 of it and he said it wouldn't work on his! Very odd stuff going on!
  • Psychikon wrote:
    The weird thing is that I could get Cheb's thing to work on my computer, and I posted a pk3 of it and he said it wouldn't work on his! Very odd stuff going on!
    Agreed. I just booted up Beta6.5 for the first time, firslt I found that my 'relative path to IWAD' trick no longer works, and for some reason the .out logfile doesnt get created in the runtime folder. I did do an upgrade though, so I deleted my entire Doomsday folder and did a clean install, but upon starting all my settings were still the same....

Since when did Doomsday/Snowberry store configuration outside it's own folder? I can't find anything in AppData (Local or Roaming), Registry (HKLM or HCKU) and even dug into the Windows and ProgramData folders... where is Snowberry keeping its configuration now?

EDIT: Nevermind I figured it out. My settings are stored at C:\Users\JC\Documents\Doomsday Frontend\ but my REAL "Documents" folder had it's location changed to E:\JC\ so it's a bug.
  • EDIT: Nevermind I figured it out. My settings are stored at C:\Users\JC\Documents\Doomsday Frontend\ but my REAL "Documents" folder had it's location changed to E:\JC\ so it's a bug.
    Yeah thats a known issue. Its not a bug per say because Snowberry is simply just using the typical default instead of asking the system. Most likely it won't be fixed now though as Snowberry itself is being dropped.

As for the model particle problem, please submit a bug report if there isn't one there already. Kurikai informed me about there being an issue with them a while back over ICQ but clearly, I forgot.
  • Done!

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=542099

I put it under "Resources", is that ok?
    The only other one I could find on model particles was where stretching didn't work on them. Surprisingly, no bug report had been made apparently!

Question:
    Can the model particles be used to represent blood splats, and does ptf_flat stick them to the wall like that? Or are we still waiting for the decals to come out for that? I noticed that ptf_flat had no effect on texture particles.
  • Psychikon wrote:
    Can the model particles be used to represent blood splats, and does ptf_flat stick them to the wall like that? Or are we still waiting for the decals to come out for that? I noticed that ptf_flat had no effect on texture particles.
    Yes model particles can be used to represent gibs and blood splats but if you're thinking of using them for say the gibs the Heretic gargoyle I would advise against it. In Heretic there are special things for this very purpose.

Textured particles can indeed be drawn flat on walls and ceilings (you need configure the particle stages with the stage_touch flag(s)) but I don't think this works with model particles. When implemented, the proposed decal system will take over from the current flat particles by automatically converting them to decals when appropriate.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Yes model particles can be used to represent gibs and blood splats but if you're thinking of using them for say the gibs the Heretic gargoyle I would advise against it. In Heretic there are special things for this very purpose.

Well, the idea was to have model particle gibs that, when they hit walls, they changed states (stagetouch) and the new particle type would be a texture that would be flat against the wall. You know, rather than just having them bounce around and then disappearing. It would probably help save some framerate too, no? Whenever the model particles start working again, I guess I'll go back to the gargoyle (and if I make anything else during the time) to rework the DEDs. Most notably the gargoyle, since I did it with a lot of unnecessary garb(ala version 5).
  • Write-back texture modification (!?)