I spent last week on miscellaneous cleanup work after the big Qt merge. Notable fixes include a crash during startup on Mac OS X 10.4, grabbing mouse and keyboard input at startup, and the FPS counter. I also tied up some loose ends with the refactoring: Qt is now used for threads and timing, too -- SDL is all but ready to be dropped completely.
Thanks to the flexibility provided by the new underlying platform I implemented a few new useful features:
- ”releasemouse” command: relinquishes control of the mouse pointer so one can access the rest of the desktop or manipulate the game window.
- ”vid-fsaa” variable: enable or disable GL multisampling at runtime.
- ”vid-vsync” variable: enable or disable vsync at runtime.
The default binding for F11 was changed: instead of cycling through software gamma correction levels, it will toggle fullscreen mode. Alt-F11 releases the mouse pointer.
This week I will continue the cleanup with a few minor details and then focus on the stable 1.9.8 to-do items.
Last week didn't quite go to plan for me. I ended up spending a large amount of my Deng development time on bug hunting in the new framework, rather than developing the BSP node builder as I intended to. Since the Qt merge there have been a few minor regressions which have impacted on my own development work, however I'm sure these will be ironed out over the coming week (we've got some solid leads now).
As open development time is beginning to run out on 1.9.8 I have decided to postpone the half-edge data structure integration until a following release. The remaining time will be spent on upping the map coordinate space precision to double floating point and other ancilary improvements to map data loading/pre-processing.