Last week we took another significant step forward on our roadmap as I merged my Qt-based changes
to the master branch. Since then I've been cleaning up various small issues caused by or brought to attention by the merge.
I added a new Mac OS X build targeting 10.6 or newer Macs with 32-bit/64-bit Intel binaries. However, I haven't yet had time to do any QA on it so some things might still be broken. Let me know if you find it malfunctioning in some way. This also means Windows is now the only remaining platform where we aren't providing 64-bit builds. This should be rectified sooner or later. Presently I haven't got a suitable machine to act as a 64-bit Windows autobuilder, but other options exist
My plan for this week is to continue cleaning things up in the master branch and gradually shift my focus to the stable 1.9.8 to-do
list, as we are getting closer to the 1.9.8 candidate phase. With my Qt work branch closed, I don't intend to add much additional new code or functionality for 1.9.8. Instead, I'll primarily focus on the bug tracker and the todo items.
Last week saw the completion of the refactoring work to our BSP node builder. The BspBuilder class now constructs the final BSP objects we use in-game, rather than producing an interim representation which would then have to be translated.
This fundamental design shift mandated some significant refactorings in order to instill the concept of ownership throughout the algorithm. This work is largely complete other than a temporary kludge whereby BspBuilder modifies the GameMap on which it is working, for the purpose of linking sidedefs to half-edges (violating the ownership model). Once the half-edge data structure has been implemented this kludge can be removed.
On the whole I'd say my work for 1.9.8 is running a little behind where I'd hoped to be at this point. I had intended to have the map-hedgeds branch completed and merged to the master some time last week.
The BSP builder implementation is now at a point where it is ready to accept the half-edge data structure. This is what I intend to work on over the coming week. With luck this work will progress smoothly and it'll be ready for merging back to the master by the end of the week.
In addition to the BSP builder, I also pushed out the revised design for dengine.net There are a few issues in older web browsers (nothing critical, however). These issues will be resolved in time. I think its looking a lot better now.