Update for Doomsday 1.9.7

edited 2012 Mar 18 in News
We have released a stability update for Doomsday 1.9.7. It fixes a number of crashes and other incorrect behavior in the initial stable 1.9.7 release (build #425).

Download: build439 | Release notes

Comments

• Yay, bug fixes.

Though was the one sound at once from a mobj feature completely removed for this release?

I ask because it's marked as build 439, hence I assumed it would include everything since build 425.
  • A build number does not guarantee that all changes from earlier builds are included. It merely tells you the day on which the build started.

This updated release contains the most important bug fixes that have accumulated since the original 1.9.7 release. It does not however contain any of the work that has gone into 1.9.8 thus far.
  • Vermil wrote:
    Though was the one sound at once from a mobj feature completely removed for this release?

I ask because it's marked as build 439, hence I assumed it would include everything since build 425.
    The "one sound per mobj" rule is a 1.9.8 feature; please note that build 439 is a stable build of 1.9.7.

See the release notes for the list of fixes included vs. the original 1.9.7 (build425). When we make patch releases such as this one they will only include critical bug fixes; if you're interested in new features, you should use the unstable builds.
  • edited 2012 Mar 15
    That is very confusing then.

I.e build 425 seemed to include all the fixes and features from earlier builds
  • Vermil wrote:
    I.e build 425 seemed to include all the fixes and features from earlier builds
    Indeed, because all the builds preceding 425 were also for 1.9.7. Once a version reaches stable it can still continue to be updated, but the master branch will move on and all new work goes into the next version, in this case 1.9.8.

In patch releases we backport fixes from the master branch to the old version, which continues to exist in a separate branch in the repository.

We're looking into clarifying the website to make this clearer...
  • Yeah, this build regressed the fast loading time. Now it once again takes longer to load and it doesn't show the loading progress on the wheel pixel by pixel. Explain please. Sound quality is once again good though.
  • Perhaps the new Build Repository interface will help to alleviate some of the confusion. As has already been stated - build #439 is from 1.9.7 and does not include the optimizations implemented for 1.9.8
  • It doesn't explain much, but looking at the release chart makes me realize that you were just making the stable 1.9.7 release more stable since it wasn't stable enough for a stable release, and any 1.9.8 build is considered unstable since it is added code, and with added code comes added bugs. So the latest 1.9.7 is the release to default to if a person encounters serious bugs in an experimental 1.9.8 build. The numbering scheme was a good way to throw me off, but I recall a dev saying it means the date, but the numbering scheme doesn't look like the date. So how does the number represent the date the build is released?

I hope the later 1.9.8 builds will bring back the good sound quality that 1.9.7 has, otherwise it sounds awful with any soundpack.
  • The new page layout makes it much easier to understand what branch each release comes from.
    gary wrote:
    I hope the later 1.9.8 builds will bring back the good sound quality that 1.9.7 has, otherwise it sounds awful with any soundpack.

One can disable/enable the changes to the sound in the 1.9.8 builds with the console cvar 'sound-overlap-stop'.
  • Better yet, make more options selectable in the launcher as flags or ingame console options that you can toggle on or off and less command line usage. Also, if I disable the effect via command line, will it stay disabled (save the changes) when closing Doomsday or do I have to use the command everytime I execute Doomsday?

Anyways, thanks for letting me know I can shut it off with that command :)
  • gary wrote:
    Better yet, make more options selectable in the launcher as flags or ingame console options that you can toggle on or off and less command line usage.
    We will do that when we upgrade the Doomsday in-game UI. It is not our intention to force people to use the command line forever.
    will it stay disabled (save the changes) when closing Doomsday or do I have to use the command everytime I execute Doomsday?
    Like most console variables, it gets saved to your configs/doom/game.cfg. Yes, you only need to set it once.
  • Problem with today's build? There is no download link; just the list of what is fixed for this release.
  • Yes the build failed due to recent autobuilder changes. A new build has been scheduled for tomorrow.
  • gary wrote:
    Problem with today's build? There is no download link; just the list of what is fixed for this release.
    We report this sort of situations on twitter @dengteam and Facebook.
  • Neat...I didn't know Doomsday was on facebook.