jDUI (jDOOM User Interface pack)

edited 2017 Mar 5 in Addons for DOOM
What is the jDUI?
The jDUI is a DOOM community effort to recreate the original DOOM,DOOM2, and Final DOOM Hud and Menu graphics in high resolution, while keeping the same style and feeling of the originals.

Comments

• And the post ends there? I don't understand the point you are getting at.
  • Guess I might as well link to my related post:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=905&start=170#p6012
    The JDUI needs updating to work fully with the newest DDay.

The 'FONTAxx' graphics, which are used for the small font, in it, need renaming to 'STCFNxx'.

Also, the JDUI download on the DDay site seems to lack graphics for all the main menu options except the Nightmare skill, so those won't be replaced.

There does however appear to be an issue that the full screen hud numbers aren't being replaced by the JDUI; I'll see if it's another naming issue or an actual bug.

To elaborate a bit, the FONTA to STCFN rename is a straight forward rename; 'FONTA15' needs to become 'STCFN15', FONTA20 to STCFN20 etc etc.

The JDUI did once include graphics for all the menu items, either as graphics or done via a values def. However at some point they were removed (maybe when Dday started up sampling the original menu graphics; the Nightmare graphic may remain because it's the only menu item that Dday doesn't up sample). Personally, I think they should be re-added or the Nightmare graphic removed, for consistency.

Finally, there does appear to be a bug that the full screen hud numbers aren't replaceable in the new builds (in 1.8.6 they were).
  • i have tried renaming the fonta files, but the ingame letters (main menu) are not replaced
  • well if using the doom setting not ultimate or doom2 or final doom the menu fonts work witch is strange.
  • In the latest beta it works with ultimate doom and doom 2 too.
  • 0815Jack wrote:
    i have tried renaming the fonta files, but the ingame letters (main menu) are not replaced

FONTA, is the message font and has nothing to do with the main menu graphics.
  • Vermil wrote:
    0815Jack wrote:
    i have tried renaming the fonta files, but the ingame letters (main menu) are not replaced

FONTA, is the message font and has nothing to do with the main menu graphics.

ok but i remember that the jdui replaced also the menu graphics..... why isnt that working anymore? and why is nobody caring about it? :(
  • The menu font works fine for me. It's the smaller font in the game (and inside some sub-menus) that doesn't work. I'm using the latest build, 409.
  • The menu font works fine for me. It's the smaller font in the game (and inside some sub-menus) that doesn't work. I'm using the latest build, 409.

which jdui version are you using?
  • Probably the latest since one hasn't been release in I dont know how long. Probably the latest was years ago. You can go to the addons page connected to this forum by clicking 'dengine.net' at the top of this forum and click 'addons' at the top of that page. I just checked out the version on the page and it is 20080614, which is probably the latest.
  • I really need to know where to put this pack for the Doomsday 1.8.6 version. I use Kickstart 2.09 to launch my games, and in the Doomsday folder, there's nothing that says "addons" or anything, just things like Bin, Data, etc.

And I can't get the pk3 file manually from the Add-Ons tab in Kickstart because it automatically 'detects' them.
    Any help would be appreciated :)
  • 20080614 + latest snapshots dosent bring bacj the menu graphics........ any further ideas?
  • What if you create an addon folder like any folder and then paste the pack in there?
  • gary wrote:
    What if you create an addon folder like any folder and then paste the pack in there?

Thanks gary, but it didn't do anything :/ I figured it out however. I read some of the docs and it said that pk3 files can be loaded in the command line, which is located in the Misc tab. In order to use the pk3 file, i had to make a folder called Auto in the Data/jdoom directory. Then, in the command line, I had to type "-file #Auto/jdui-all-20080614" and then click play. It loaded it and looked flawless.

Figuring out things is so much fun :D
  • You probably should just use snowberry and upgrade to the latest build. That would make things even better looking + at this point, no segmentation violations that I remember were common in 1.8.6. The newer builds from about beta 6.9 onwards have glowmaps, shine maps, etc, that the older builds didn't have.
  • gary wrote:
    You probably should just use snowberry and upgrade to the latest build. That would make things even better looking + at this point, no segmentation violations that I remember were common in 1.8.6. The newer builds from about beta 6.9 onwards have glowmaps, shine maps, etc, that the older builds didn't have.

I actually tried out beta6.9 but for some reason it made my controls lag a whole hell of a lot. I could hardly kill anything since every time i pressed left or right, it waited 5 seconds to do so lol. I reverted to 1.8.6 because it plays seamlessly on my laptop, even with hi-res textures. Perhaps when the stable version of the 1.9 series comes out (1.9.7) I'll look into getting it :)
  • The latest build is no doubt pretty stable. I didn't get todays build, but I will shortly. The last several builds were very stable, and with each build, it only gets better, so I'm pretty sure today's build is even more stable than #409.

Edit: Maybe not since the links to today's build for some reason are greyed out and not clickable. Too many issues maybe?
  • Today's build failed due to some minor errors that were only revealed upon rolling a release build. Those issues have been fixed and I think the current plan is to re-run the build tomorrow.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Today's build failed due to some minor errors that were only revealed upon rolling a release build. Those issues have been fixed and I think the current plan is to re-run the build tomorrow.
    You wouldn't happen to have an ETA on when the stable v1.9.7 will be released do you?
  • Hard to know since new bugs keep getting added to the to-do list. I think as of December, they were expecting to release around this time, but of course in life, things don't usually go as planned, and when they do, not when you expect. So delays for anything like this are to be expected since it isn't what they do for a living and a deadline isn't required.
  • Gravespawn wrote:
    gary wrote:
    What if you create an addon folder like any folder and then paste the pack in there?

Thanks gary, but it didn't do anything :/ I figured it out however. I read some of the docs and it said that pk3 files can be loaded in the command line, which is located in the Misc tab. In order to use the pk3 file, i had to make a folder called Auto in the Data/jdoom directory. Then, in the command line, I had to type "-file #Auto/jdui-all-20080614" and then click play. It loaded it and looked flawless.

Figuring out things is so much fun :D

doesnt work for me.... the menue is still low res....
  • I reinstalled Doomsday recently after completely removing the frontend and all else, and I had to re-impliment the settings. I realized that the menu was low res, but I fixed the problem by putting a check mark in the 'allow external with PWADs' check box under settings/graphics and right below the texture options catagory in the launcher. I always have that selected.
  • gary wrote:
    I reinstalled Doomsday recently after completely removing the frontend and all else, and I had to re-impliment the settings. I realized that the menu was low res, but I fixed the problem by putting a check mark in the 'allow external with PWADs' check box under settings/graphics and right below the texture options catagory in the launcher. I always have that selected.

big thx.... that fixes it :)
  • I have been working on the jdui with vermil, and I should be releasing an updated version within the next week
  • Awesome. Changelog?
  • KuriKai wrote:
    I have been working on the jdui with vermil, and I should be releasing an updated version within the next week

dont forget about the changes regardiung FONTA / FONTB :)
  • Well, this particular torrent download is slow right now (less than 12kb/sec and not much better than dial-up). Probably because there is only one seed. My fiber optic connection is usually around 1.3mb/sec (more than 100 times faster). Why 50 minutes just to download a 28MB file? Well, at least I get to download it :)
  • As you say, its probably because there is only one seed atm (i.e., me). Hopefully when more people step forward to seed it will be faster. Sadly the vast majority seem to simply download what they want and then don't reciprocate by seeding.
  • I renamed some files and also duplicated some and renamed them so all the fonts are correctly made high res by the doomsday engine. I removed the worst looking doubles of certain textures. I touched up the doom2 title screen to resemble the original one more closely.