Bug in Hexen - painted window not breaking (Bright Crucible)

edited 2016 Jan 16 in Technical Support
DE 2.0-1832
Hexen - Hub-1 - Bonus Level - Bright Crucible.
Playing as Mage at maximum difficulty.
When I already have D'Sparil's heart and went through another corridor, where his heart should be installed into a column in the middle of the room - entrance to the room is blocked with a painted glass, which was not braking with my shots (basic Mage's wand).
Projectiles just flew through without braking it.
Without braking this glass - it is impossible to proceed further through this level.

Finaly i was able to brake it, when I came direcly to that window and shot NOT in the middle of it, but in the very RIGHT side, where it connects to it's frame. Shooting in the left side not braking the glass either.
Same thing with the other painted glass, blocking the other room's exit.

Quite strange - Can the problem be in DE or it is in Steam version of Hexen's resources?

Comments

• This is a glitch present in the original Hexen, and it remains unchanged in Doomsday. The easiest way to break that window is with punch damage, however the Mage only has projectile weapons, so it can be a bit tricky.

Here's a quick video from the original game showing the odd behavior with the window: Glitchy window in Bright Crucible.mov
  • SkyJake, thanks for the explanation.
    Seems to be another bug, which blocks game progress.
    Hexen - DeathKings, Map Sump (Map 43).
    Third Mask seems to be unreachable. As 2 moving columns in the left coridor - do not move, like the other two - in the right corridor with the second mask.
    So level can not be completed.
    This happaned on 2 attempts.

There's some warning in DOOM Wikia - WARNING: do not use the "kill all monsters" cheat (either the Hexen one or the console one provided by your source port). If you do, you will make this level (and hence the game) unwinnable.
    But there's no explanation - why.
    I did not, but still stuck on this level. :(
    Any ideas, guys?

UPDATE.
    Loaded earlier save and found on the map that they WERE moving. But when it comes to pass through them - they're stopped, blocking the way.

UPDATE 2.
    Tried another sequence of installing masks in the columnm while checking column movement on the map.
    At some point the other 2 columns (now - right ones) stopped, hopefully I've already taken that right mask and was able to complete the level.
    After some time, the other columns also stopped.
  • It's another bug in the vanilla game I believe, though I have to admit it has been a long since I've played that map in Vanilla HeXen DK, that I've experienced myself while playing in Dday; if something walks between the columns from the right angle/position, they can cause them to stop moving.

Unfortunately, it's pretty likely that a Centaur or Slaughtaur will do this while you are somewhere else on the map.