[NotFoundError] (in Record::operator []) Variable 'audio.soundPlugin' not found

I've compiled 2.0.1 and get the following error when I run doomsday:

[NotFoundError] (in Record::operator []) Variable 'audio.soundPlugin' not found

I've tried compiling both with and without both fluidsynth and fmod thinking perhaps that had something to do with it, but it changed nothing. I didn't report this as a bug on the tracker because it might be something wrong with my setup or the way I compiled it, and I wanted to eliminate that as a possibility before filing a bug.

Comments

• The Config.audio.soundPlugin variable comes from the client's "clientconfig.de" script. When you run CMake, the script gets packaged to the "net.dengine.client.pack" package. Installing this package is required, for example by running "make install" so that Doomsday can find it at launch.

Did you run "make install", and does the installed package have code similar to this in the clientconfig.de file?
        # Audio settings.
        record d.audio()
            soundPlugin = 'fmod'
            if Version.OS == 'macx'
                musicPlugin = 'fluidsynth'
                cdPlugin    = 'dummy'
            elsif Version.OS == 'ios'
                musicPlugin = 'fmod'
                cdPlugin    = 'dummy'
            elsif Version.OS == 'windows'
                musicPlugin = 'sdlmixer'
                cdPlugin    = 'winmm'
            else
                musicPlugin = 'fmod'
                cdPlugin    = 'dummy'
            end
            record fmod
            fmod.speakerMode = '' # defaults to stereo
        end

So, my guess is that either your net.dengine.client.pack is missing or is being loaded from the wrong place.
  • I'm stumped. I did use the install function, and /usr/share/doomsday/net.dengine.client.pack exists. I extracted it and opened up ./modules/clientconfig.de. It contained
        # Audio settings.
        record d.audio()
            soundPlugin = 'fmod'
            if Version.OS == 'macx'
                musicPlugin = 'fluidsynth'
                cdPlugin    = 'dummy'
            else
                musicPlugin = 'fmod'
                cdPlugin    = 'fmod'
            end
            record fmod
            fmod.speakerMode = '' # defaults to stereo
        end
    end

Also, I see the following line of output in the console when I type "doomsday".
    [AudioSystem > AudioDriver] FMOD Sound System (c) Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2013

I can start Doomsday with the "-nosound" parameter, but it segfaults after loading Doom ][ and trying to start a new game.
  • Hmm.... There must be some other issue going on. I extracted the Debian package onto my system and ran it. I got the same error.
  • OK. I somehow solved the issue. I recently upgraded my compiler to GCC 7, but my OpenAL library hadn't been compiled since June last year (probably with GCC 6) and probably wasn't playing nicely with the rest of the components which had been compiled with GCC 7. Anyway, I recompiled OpenAL, and that is apparently what did the trick.

As for the crash, that was solved with -nofsaa (probably because of the old, crufty Intel GPU).