DE Hates my hardware

This engine has a record on giving me headache when is comes to running it. I just can't sit back and enjoy it like everyone else since it began crashing my video hardware every time that dreadful loading wheel shows up to start the game. All of the 1.10 stables do not work at all! And none of the 1.11 releases.

AMD catalyst mobility drivers SUCK!!! The most inconsistent hardware in existence! NVIDIA's hardware will always stomp all over AMDs buggy and abysmal graphic drivers.

I am venting a lot of steam, I have the doomsday.out to help.

Comments

• Could there be something wrong with your HeXen.wad?

If you own Doom or Heretic, do they also crash?
  • Vermil wrote:
    Could there be something wrong with your HeXen.wad?

If you own Doom or Heretic, do they also crash?
    My Iwads work fine in GZdoom without any problem and worked fine in other ports. They worked fine in DE form 1.7.9 to 1.9.10. This problem came around in the 1.10 late canadate faze. My finger is pointing at my AMD driver.

Edit: Doom2 at first was working fine, I saved my game and weird lines appeared on screen and crashed my driver. And this only happens with the loading wheel on screen. Played build 892, the same problem still persists.
  • The latest build still gave me that bug and got much worse. My computer always recovers once I close the doomsday exe from my task bar. This time stays black with the MIDI playback giving out eerie sounds thus crashed my computer. Could this be because of the renderer changes being so heavy?
  • The symptoms you describe sound very much like your video card is overheating. Whether this is down to it being pushed harder by the later builds or not is up for debate. Could you perhaps install a GPU temperature monitor and see what sort of values it logs whilst you're playing? Does this happen with any other games at all?
  • DE exclusively has this problem. I downloaded the latest build right after playing hell revealed 2 with brutal doom for hours. Even after just booting up my computer doomsday still suicides. This is isolated when the loading wheel appears at starting a game after skill select, saving my game and turning on the smart texture filter.

I can sometime play doom or heretic, It's just out of my ability to figure out what is causing this. I update my AMD catalyst driver religiously, I use their beta drivers since they way better and faster for some reason. I want to download their next release to see if this is a driver issue.
  • The fact that this problem is intermittent and you can sometimes play without issue suggests to me this either a hardware or a driver problem. More so given you say you use Beta video drivers.

Have you tried another driver version (e.g., a non-beta)?
  • DaniJ wrote:
    The fact that this problem is intermittent and you can sometimes play without issue suggests to me this either a hardware or a driver problem. More so given you say you use Beta video drivers.

Have you tried another driver version (e.g., a non-beta)?
    Even there stable 13.4 is doing the same. I used to play DE without any issues on my laptop. Whatever AMD did to there drivers recently made this port too unstable to play period.
  • what os and do you have SP1 installed? the new drivers requires W7 SP1
  • I do have W7 SP1, it came with my laptop. I'm curious if anybody else is having this problem with AMD's A series hardware Radeon HD G adapters. I am running out of info to share and I just cannot get even the slightest clues.

The last I can do is post the bug in action on youtube.
  • i can't help you as i am running an XFX ati card with no problems but i have not updated my drivers but do not need to atm
  • My old video card, an old-ish ATI Radeon which I used catalyst drivers with, use to struggle with dlights when antialiasing was added to Dday.

Though admittedly I didn't get a crash or anything, just a huge drop in FPS when Dday had to render dlights with antialiasing also turned on. I had to turn antialiasing off.

Could be your card or drivers are 'really struggling', with a certain combination of visual effects, done in a certain way (i.e the way they are coded in Dday) it might not be able to handle well, to the extreme degree it's overheating or something.

What is your general performance in Dday like? Any sudden slowdowns?

I'm aware the above may sound crazy; but helps not to rule anything out.
  • I played and beat Reverie on the late 1.10 candidates and DE ran very smooth. In general it runs very beautiful in gameplay, it only slows when there is a retarded number dynamic lights on screen. Town of witchcraft in heretic treasure chest was even playable, DE slowed down when I had the whole stage in screen view.

It only chokes when its in busy mode{I think that what's it called} with a 1/3 of a chance happening, thus killing my display driver.

I'm naming this bug the loading wheel of death.

Edit: I should of said before I had this problem when I was explaining on how doomsday performs. My computer just stopped DE from being playable all of the sudden. The bug began plaguing me in the earlier 1.10 candidates and when I unistalled and reinstalled my drivers the bug vanished letting me play it just a little longer until it resurfaced again! I can uninstall reinstall all I want and it will NEVER go away. NO MATTER WHAT I DO!!! I CAN'T EVEN USE THE 1.9.10! SAME BUG SAME PROBLEM! And it used to work flawlessly.. I can't test the 1.11 candidates since all of the 1.11 builds crash in busy mode and I know the stable might pull the same stunt. My computer is forcing me to never use this engine at all and this is just unfair. I know the bug is in the busy mode wheel.
  • I found the problem, my amd catalysts opengl triple buffer is crashing DE for some stupid reason. I switched it off and now it never crashes at the loading wheel. :)

I had a similar problem with doom legacy with opengl triple buffers on my old system, it blue screens every time I launched it with it on. Anyways I thank everyone who posted on my thread very much!