Update for Doomsday 1.10

edited 2013 May 2 in News
We have made a patch release for version 1.10 that fixes some incorrect behavior.
  • Map Renderer: Fog was not drawn for the sky at all
  • Disabling weapon psprite lowering with Values was not correctly applied when using sprites
  • Music: Symbols (like ~) were not expanded in the SF2 soundfont path, causing the FluidSynth plugin to not find the soundfont
  • Updater: If never checked for updates, don't print an invalid time
  • Dehacked: Potential logic error when parsing weapon numbers
  • Ubuntu: code.iki.fi is again the primary APT repository
Download: build837 | Release notes for 1.10.1

Comments

• Thanks for the Sky Fog!
  • Relating to fog. If turn on the fog in Heretic - the skins of Dragon Claw 3D-model are not displayed properly for me.
    http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5632/624 ... 1db_XL.jpg

This occurs only with this 3D-model, without fog - it works fine. The first time I saw it on 1.9.0 beta 6.9 and remains so in the current versions.
  • @PVS Do the grey blocks on the Cross Bow model suffer the same loss of texture?

I'm wondering if it's Shiny Skin related as the entire Dragon Claw model is shiny, IIRC.

Certainly, long long ago, I had a video card that rendered all Shiny Skins as pure white, meaning I couldn't have the feature on.
  • Cross Bow model work fine with fog:
    http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5642/624 ... d53_XL.jpg

If I remember correctly, some time ago, I checked all the models in all other games - all works fine with fog, only Dragon Claw in Heretic has this problem for me. Today, I tested: engine versions 1.9.0 beta 6.8 and below - works normal, versions 1.9.0 beta 6.9 and above - have this problem with Dragon Claw.

Vermil, for you Dragon Claw work fine with enabled fog? Maybe it's only my system problem? Strangely, I look and I can not find anything unusual in this model. I removed Shiny skin, tried to modify the main Skin files - does not help.
  • The Dragon Claw model skin doesn't display for me, with fog on either.
  • Vermil wrote:
    The Dragon Claw model skin doesn't display for me, with fog on either.
    Taking a look at the defs for HUD-Dragonclaw in jhrp+psy-20100928
    State = "BLASTERREADY";
    Scale XYZ { 120 160 200 };
    Offset XYZ { 0 50 2500 };

The huge Z offset+scale pushes the model fully into the fog. If you adjust "fog end", you can see that the model eventually appears.

Does anyone object if fog is always disabled on HUD models?
  • If fog is turned off - all Dragon Claw model objects and effects works fine for me. Sorry, if I do not correctly understand the last question.
  • Why does the offset of the model in the model editor/ded have effect on whether it is affected by fog?

Shouldn't the physical position on screen should control that?

I.e if a model maker for some reason set the Z position of the model to -3000 and the Dday ded for it has a Z offset of +3000 to handle that. The end result is that the model appears to be visually at '0' in Dday, not +3000. My apologies if that was difficult to read; I wasn't sure how to write it and I'm not knowledgeable on models.
  • On the subject of Heretic; the Powered up Wand Crystal has been partially broken since Dday 1.10 (maybe earlier).

When firing straight forward at nothing, the weapon behaves as normal; firing two projectiles with a small horizontal distance between them, that grows larger as they travel further. However when it auto aims up/down beyond approximately say 30 degrees either way, only a single projectile is fired directly at the target (maybe both projectiles are incorrectly being spawned on top of each other?).
  • skyjake wrote:
    Does anyone object if fog is always disabled on HUD models?
    What I meant is that even though fog is on, does it matter if HUD models are never affected by it?
    Vermil wrote:
    Why does the offset of the model in the model editor/ded have effect on whether it is affected by fog? Shouldn't the physical position on screen should control that?
    The amount of fog on a particular surface is determined by its distance from the camera. It is important to note that objects can be moved away from the camera and still appear the same size on screen, if they are equivalently scaled larger.

In the case of the Dragon Claw, the definitions specify large scale factors, meaning when the model is rendered, in 3D coordinates it is a huge object somewhere below the floor in front of the player. This is why the fog covers it; it is being rendered as though it's a faraway, large object instead of a small, nearby object.

Its position on the screen is totally irrelevant to the amount of fog, as the fog calculations occur in 3D coordinates and not in the 2D screen space.
  • Personally I think it would be fine to simply disable the fog on HUD models.
  • May be possible to modify Dragon Claw 3D-model itself in the model editor? The problem is only with one model for all games - maybe not touch the engine? Maybe someone who works with 3D-models say - is it possible?
  • I agree with skyjake and DaniJ that fog shouldn't affect the HUD models as this means updating those models is not required and it seems like a more logical decision.
  • I asked for help from veirdo. He found a new parameters for Dragon Claw 3D-model:
    Scale XYZ { 1.2 1.6 2.0 };
    Offset XYZ { 0 0.5 25 };

For me it is now working normally:
    http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6426/624 ... 370_XL.jpg

If anyone checks - for you Dragon Claw model now work correctly with fog?
  • In the soon-to-be-released 1.10.2, fog does not affect the weapon psprite models any more. The reasoning is that because the psprite models do not share the same space as the 3D world surfaces (one cannot stick a weapon into a wall, for example), and the fog configuration does not specify fog parameters for psprite 3D space, we cannot use fog with the weapons.

In the future we can introduce a model flag that enables fog in this situation if it ever becomes necessary.