1.9.10 Candidate Testing

edited 2012 Dec 20 in General
The Candidate phase for 1.9.10 has started, with Monday's build 710 being the first candidate build. We have been busy doing numerous changes in the internals of the engine and therefore thought it would best to once again start a more formal candidate testing/feedback thread.

If you wish to participate in testing the candidates and helping us improve the upcoming stable release, please check the todo list and see if you can find something that is obviously broken when compared to our previous releases (particularly the previous stable version). You should post your findings here in this thread. Please do not resubmit bugs that already are in the SourceForge bug tracker; we'll get to those in time.

When reporting bugs/crashes, please include information about which OS you're using, which resource packs were loaded, and the game & map that you were playing. It's also very helpful if you include your doomsday.out log and run with the -v option for verbose log messages.

We are updating a to-do list of our tasks here: http://dengine.net/stable_to-do_list

Happy testing! :)

Comments

• Seems the texture/flat mixing ability has broken. It used to work in build 675. Textures used on floors/ceilings, will show the Missing texture. Flats used on sidedefs will bleed the surrounding floor/ceiling to be used instead.
  • The blank Map Info definition doesn't appear to be working in games with the ExMx map format; I tried placing a map outside of the original map groups in Doom1 and Heretic, but I couldn't warp to it in game. I tried the same with Doom2 however and I could warp to it fine.
  • Does anyone run into this error I've been getting? I tested it on both of my computers so it isn't exclusive to one computer.

If you change resolutions and quit Doomsday, you'll get this message of "Application terminated due to exception - no RTTI data!" and it will screw up your desktop as well (the taskbar won't extend to fit the entire screen and you'll see a lot of black background.

Also, I've noticed a difference between my desktop and my laptop. On my laptop, when loading screens, I get a black background behind the "loading map" circle before the screen melt. On my desktop, I don't get this black background, it does the screen melt exactly as it does in Vanilla Doom. My video card in my laptop is an Intel Graphics Processor 3000 and my desktop video card is an ATI RADEON X700 (256MB, PCI-Express).
  • If you change resolutions and quit Doomsday, you'll get this message of "Application terminated due to exception - no RTTI data!" and it will screw up your desktop as well (the taskbar won't extend to fit the entire screen and you'll see a lot of black background.
    I finally looked into this and found the cause for the crash. It was an issue specific to Windows's display mode change behavior (which is more immediate than on other platforms). This should now be fixed for Friday's build.
    Also, I've noticed a difference between my desktop and my laptop. On my laptop, when loading screens, I get a black background behind the "loading map" circle before the screen melt.
    This sounds like an issue with your OpenGL drivers and/or the version of Qt we are using on Windows. The black background should be a screenshot of the screen right before the loading circle appears (like on your desktop). As such there isn't much we can do about it right now.

(At least it isn't crashing; in the past, when we were using our own OpenGL screen grabbing code, it was not uncommon for the engine to crash in this situation.)
  • jHeretic crushed with jHRP (packaged) 2009.07.03.

When jHRP (packaged) 2009.07.03 is ON in addon list in Snowberry I have Dommsday crush.
    When jHRP (packaged) 2009.07.03 is OFF in addon list in Snowberry I have all right..

Reinstall Dommsday/Addon wasn't effective.

The last ver. of Doomsday I used was Doomsday 1.9.9 Build507 - Jheretic worked normaly in it with jHRP (packaged) 2009.07.03 ON.
  • Text definitions that replace existing text definitions seems to crash at the startup.
  • JCA wrote:
    Text definitions that replace existing text definitions seems to crash at the startup.
    Good catch, it is now fixed for tomorrow's build.
  • malice2k wrote:
    jHeretic crushed with jHRP (packaged) 2009.07.03.
    I tried the jHRP 1.01 / 20090703 both in Windows 8 and on the Mac, but neither crashed for me. Can anyone reproduce the issue?
  • JCA wrote:
    Seems the texture/flat mixing ability has broken.
    Fixed for tomorrow's build.
    Vermil wrote:
    The blank Map Info definition doesn't appear to be working in games with the ExMx map format; I tried placing a map outside of the original map groups in Doom1 and Heretic, but I couldn't warp to it in game. I tried the same with Doom2 however and I could warp to it fine.
    What did you name the map? Doomsday presently only supports maps named using either EXMY or MAPXX notation in Doom and Doom2 respectively.
  • malice2k wrote:

When jHRP (packaged) 2009.07.03 is ON in addon list in Snowberry I have Dommsday crush.
    When jHRP (packaged) 2009.07.03 is OFF in addon list in Snowberry I have all right..

The last ver. of Doomsday I used was Doomsday 1.9.9 Build507 - Jheretic worked normaly in it with jHRP (packaged) 2009.07.03 ON.
    Have you tried the latest unstable builds? Build507 is very old.
    DaniJ wrote:
    Vermil wrote:
    The blank Map Info definition doesn't appear to be working in games with the ExMx map format; I tried placing a map outside of the original map groups in Doom1 and Heretic, but I couldn't warp to it in game. I tried the same with Doom2 however and I could warp to it fine.
    What did you name the map? Doomsday presently only supports maps named using either EXMY or MAPXX formation in Doom and Doom2 respectively.
    I used ExMx and Mapxx names in my test.
  • Vermil wrote:
    malice2k wrote:

Have you tried the latest unstable builds? Build507 is very old.
    I made the test of builds from 700 to 714 for Doomsday crushing in jHeretic with jHRP (packaged) 2009.07.03:
    build 700 - work
    build 703 - work
    build 707 - crush & I got the error message: GL-PreparelySysFlareTexture: Error, flare texture 0 not found!
    build 710 - crush & the same error message
    build 711 - crush & the same error message
    build 712 - crush & the same error message
    build 714 - crush & the same error message

But in build 703 there is another problem (only in Doom2 and in Final Doom: Plutonia Experiment) - ammo icon is realy BIG in HUD -) (screenshot is in attachment).

I made the test of builds from 700 to 714 for BIG ammo icon in HUD in Dooms:
    build 700 - BIG ammo icon in ALL Dooms
    build 703 - BIG ammo icon only in Doom2 and in Final Doom: Plutonia Experiment
    build 707 - BIG ammo icon in Doom 2 & Final Dooms
    build 710 - normal HUD
    build 711 - normal HUD
    build 712 - normal HUD
    build 714 - normal HUD

So I need two buils for normal playng Doomsday -))) 703 for jHeretic & 714 for all others -)
  • malice2k wrote:
    build 707 - crush & I got the error message: GL-PreparelySysFlareTexture: Error, flare texture 0 not found!
    Thanks for the rundown, this is quote informative. We'll have to investigate what changed in 707 that explains this erroneous behavior.
  • Vermil wrote:
    DaniJ wrote:
    Vermil wrote:
    What did you name the map? Doomsday presently only supports maps named using either EXMY or MAPXX formation in Doom and Doom2 respectively.
    I used ExMx and Mapxx names in my test.
    I have just tested a map I created named E6M3 for Ultimate DOOM and was able to warp to it via the console as expected. There is however an issue with said map not being listed in the output of the listmaps console command (edit: fixed for Monday's upcoming build).
    malice2k wrote:

Looking at your doomsday.out log it would appear you have a somewhat broken installation; missing files, files in the wrong location, etc...

I suggest you completely remove Doomsday (you may need to manually remove any remnants which might have been left behind after running the uninstaller) and then re-install a fresh copy.

Let us know how you get on.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    I suggest [malice2k] completely remove Doomsday (you may need to manually remove any remnants which might have been left behind after running the uninstaller) and then re-install a fresh copy.
    This will likely not help -- I've been investigating the issue and have now been able to reproduce it. It is one of those elusive, infrequent random glitches that is likely related to multithreaded (mis)behavior. I will look into this now in more detail, but there is no guarantee we'll get it fixed in time for 1.9.10.
  • skyjake wrote:
    DaniJ wrote:
    I suggest [malice2k] completely remove Doomsday (you may need to manually remove any remnants which might have been left behind after running the uninstaller) and then re-install a fresh copy.
    This will likely not help -- I've been investigating the issue and have now been able to reproduce it. It is one of those elusive, infrequent random glitches that is likely related to multithreaded (mis)behavior. I will look into this now in more detail, but there is no guarantee we'll get it fixed in time for 1.9.10.
    I made the pure intallation of Build 714 & ....yes - crush was there -)
    Developers, thank you very much for answers & your work! I'll be waiting for new builds...
  • malice2k wrote:
    Developers, thank you very much for answers & your work! I'll be waiting for new builds...
    Be sure to try tomorrow's build 717. We've found and fixed a memory access violation in the model (skin) loader.
  • @malice2k: Your use of the word "crush" instead of "crash" makes me smile. :)
  • @malice2k: Your use of the word "crush" instead of "crash" makes me smile. :)
    But his English is still far far better than my zero knowledge of Russian ;)
  • Vermil wrote:
    @malice2k: Your use of the word "crush" instead of "crash" makes me smile. :)
    Well, today the word "crush" (meaning set of words "impetuous love" + "crunch" + "craunch" as "fracture") for me is more preferable to computer games with their complexity and a heap of bugs... But I have low knoledge of English. So if it makes you smile - good. I mean smile is always good.
    In Russian (and it is language of sensations and feelings) the same word can have different values not only from a finding in different parts of the sentens, but also from intonation and even mood.
    And the majority of Russian words have the second, spiritual sense. For example:
    "Thanks" in russian means "Спасибо" (Spasibo)
    But in second sens Спасибо = Спаси (Spasi) Бог (Bog). Спаси means Save & Бог means God.
    So Спасибо means Thanks and at the same time God save you..
    But we often forget about second senses. And it's realy hard to learn Russian..

But it's offtopic.. My apologies to developers!
  • Ok. I have tested new build 717.. Well, jHeretic works fine with "jHRP (packaged) 2009.07.03". All other jGames work good too. -)
    Thanks again for great work!
  • Vermil wrote:
    Agreed - and his English is far better than many English people I know! :))

@malice2k: I'm glad today's build helped to resolve your issue - happy gaming.
  • Build 717 test

Sound Drivers:
    Fmodex: flawless
    SDL mixer: No title music playback the rest is fine
    OpenAL: No title music playback the rest is fine
    Direct Sound: No music playback at all! Performance slowdown too!??

btsx_e1.wad: First stage where the first nukage pit Ive seen AASHITTY textures under the floor in front of me and other areas as well. Looks very out of place.

2002ad10.wad: Wrong map info!! E3M5 blood and guts finished instead says E3M3 stronghold of damnation finished. Next stage halls of ebola when it should be obituary written!

The direct sound bug is the weirdest one Ive had for awhile. My system uses Realtek AC97 Audio for a sound driver. It may has to do with being old.
  • I've just remembered this posted by Sonicdoommario in the 1.9.7 candidate testing thread. I'm reposting it because, as far as I am aware, it was never turned into a bug report at Sourceforge and, as of the latest 1.9.10 build, 717, hasn't been fixed.

http://www.dengine.net/forums/viewtopic ... 805&#p5805
    On the episode 2 intermission screen, after finding the secret exit in E2M5, the Fortress of Mystery building on the E2 intermission map is already halfway faded onto the screen when the game is tallying your kills/items/secrets. Of course, the Fortress of Mystery doesn't appear and fade onto the screen until after you press the spacebar to continue and show the "You are Here" screen.9
    To add something to this; the Fortress of Mystery's fade in animation is completely missing in Dday 1.9; it remains stuck on the first frame of the fade in.
    EDIT #2: I found several errors on the episode 3 intermission screen, including:

-No blood splat on E3M1 building (lowest building on screen)
    -No "you are here" arrow on E3M4 building (skull building on east part of map)
    -No "you are here" arrow on E3M6 building (top right building on the intermission screen)
    -No blood splat on E3M6
    -No "you are here" arrow on E3M9 building (skull head on bottom right of map)
    -No blood splat on E3M9
    EDIT: ok, the E3 blood splats were reported on Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/p/deng/bugs/982/
    DaniJ wrote:
    I have just tested a map I created named E6M3 for Ultimate DOOM and was able to warp to it via the console as expected. There is however an issue with said map not being listed in the output of the listmaps console command (edit: fixed for Monday's upcoming build).
    Maybe I am doing something wrong without realizing it, but unfortunetly, I'm still not having any luck at loading ExMx maps outside the original.
  • I'd also like to bring up the bug I encountered on my laptop, where the white player arrow on the automap is completely missing. I mentioned that when I reverted to an older driver of my video card (an Intel graphics processor 3000) the white arrow showed up in the automap again, but went missing after I went back to the latest driver.

Since this is a video card driver issue, would DaniJ or skyjake need a laptop with this video card to address this bug, or is it something they'd be able to find in the code (probably brings back memories of the MIDBARS error on ATI cards, lol)?

If anyone else here has a laptop with an Intel video card, let me know if you run into this.
  • No music playback at all using DirectSound/OpenAL
    Not all audio plugins support music playback. If you want to use DirectSound for sound effects then you should specify the plugin to use for music playback with the -imusic command line option. For example, -dsound -imusic fmod would use Direct Sound for sound effects and FMOD Ex for music.

At some point this will be revised so that doing this manually is unnecessary.
    Slowdown using DirectSound?
    I've not noticed significantly worse performance using Direct Sound. Can you provide more info?
    btsx_e1.wad: First stage where the first nukage pit Ive seen AASHITTY textures under the floor in front of me and other areas as well. Looks very out of place.

2002ad10.wad: Wrong map info!! E3M5 blood and guts finished instead says E3M3 stronghold of damnation finished. Next stage halls of ebola when it should be obituary written!
    Both fixed for tomorrow's upcoming build.
    I found several errors on the episode 3 intermission screen (missing splats/you-are-here indicators)
    Fixed for tomorrow's upcoming build.
    Vermil wrote:
    To add something to this; the Fortress of Mystery's fade in animation is completely missing in Dday 1.9; it remains stuck on the first frame of the fade in.
    You're right, I'll see what the problem is...
    Vermil wrote:
    DaniJ wrote:
    Maybe I am doing something wrong without realizing it, but unfortunetly, I'm still not having any luck at loading ExMx maps outside the original.
    Send me a msg via ICQ next time I'm on and we'll go through it.
  • When I started playing the btsx_e1.wad with directsound, the performance was very choppy in the first stage. I switched to SDL_mixer and the problem vanished. I retested it to see if I can uncover more about it and the performance is fine!?? Well.. my computer slowed to a crawl in the moment I was testing direct sound and fooled me into thinking there was a problem like that with the sound driver. I should of double checked it to make sure.
  • Do you think there's any chance this bug (#1056) gets resolved in time for 1.9.10?

http://sourceforge.net/p/deng/bugs/1056/

That's the only reason I don't use a 16:10 resolution on my widescreen monitors, and I use 1024x768 or 1152x864 instead.
  • Vermil wrote:
    On the episode 2 intermission screen, after finding the secret exit in E2M5, the Fortress of Mystery building on the E2 intermission map is already halfway faded onto the screen when the game is tallying your kills/items/secrets. Of course, the Fortress of Mystery doesn't appear and fade onto the screen until after you press the spacebar to continue and show the "You are Here" screen.9
    Fixed for today's upcoming build.
    Do you think there's any chance bug (#1056) {Flash state models offset incorrectly in 16:10} gets resolved in time for 1.9.10?
    I'd say its unlikely at this stage (requires non-trivial changes). Until such time you can tweak their position manually with the cvars rend-hud-fov-shift and rend-hud-offset-scale.
  • I would like to offer these deds for Chex Quest and HacX; the Chex Quest one being a modified version of the one included with Dday and the HacX one being new.

They add defs for the weapon names, so the control menus for the games no longer list Doom's weapon names.

Also new 'death by X weapon in MP' defs for both games, so they no longer refer to Doom's weapons.

In Chex's case, I also removed an unused def from the ded; Chex has no Super Shotgun weapon, so no need for a pick up def for it.
  • Build 717. Map E2M5 (Command Center).
    On the attached screens:
    Screen 1: We see spears with heads on'em. But jDoom Resource Pack (jDRP) 04/04/2007 is OFF.
    Screen 2: Spears with heads on'em are invisible. And jDoom Resource Pack (jDRP) 04/04/2007 is ON.