sitters monsters and decorations for doomsday?

edited 2011 May 27 in Addons for DOOM
hi all,

i also like to play risen3d sometimes cuz it has the sitters 3d models for monsters and decorations, and i was wondering if anyone has repacked them for use with doomsday? and if yes, where i can download them. i love sitters models cuz they look a lot more detailed and hi-res compared to the ones in the current jdrp.

when trying to search to see if there was a pack of them available too for doomsday showed no results, so i thought id ask here if anybody knew if they were re-packed for doomsday too?

and if not, it would be awesome if anybody could re-pack them so i could use them with doomsday

Comments

• The Risen 3D models and deds are, last time I checked, usuable as they are (Risen3D's object model abilities are indentical to Dday) with Dday; it's the folder structure that's slightly different, something easilly fixed.
  • yeah i know. risen3d is based on old doomsday code, so they should indeed be compatible with doomsday as well.

the only thing would be that they would have to be re-packed for doomsday, i dont wanna have to copy the folders straight into doomsday, then they will be always loaded and i dont have the options to choose which models to use.

but that wasnt my question.... the question was, if anyone know if they were repacked already for doomsday by someone?

and if not....if someone would be willing to do that, cuz i would love to be able to use the sitters models with doomsday, sitters models look amazing compared to the ones in the latest JDRP
  • I believe Magnum was working on something like that. Unfortunately, he has disappeared recently.
  • ah shame....

id try it myself if i could, but i have no clue how to re-pack it, i have seen that you need to put the right folder tree in the pk3 for everything, but you have to change anything to any files? like changing values or whatever?
    or adding files or such? i know risen3d is based on an older doomsday build

id be up to try it myself, if someone could help me by explaining how to repack, and if i need to change anything beside folder-trees, and which files i need to put in each pk3 for each monster and for each decoration, and how i can turn it into a box like the JDRP.

i love the sitters models and decorations, so if i could get some help explaining how to repack the sitters models for usage with doomsday i would try it myself
  • mystique - give me a link to this package, I'll look and may be able to help.
  • sure, it can be found on the downloads-page from risen3d:
    http://risen3d.drdteam.org/downloads.htm

the one i meant is the 'Risen3D models pack 2' in the list, the revised models by sitters and abbs

althought that pack is put in a self-extracting archive,
    but you can of course easily define another folder to unpack it too rather then the pre-defined risen3d folder
  • I looked this new packages - Risen3D models pack 1,2. Little modifying they structure - packs run, but I think, they are not compatible with DDay. Too much undefined flags, states, "jpg"-textures, etc. That may be used in new versions of Risen3D and there are not present in DDay now.
    May be able to tell the more experienced people, I am attaching my file Doomsday.out. Then I run the port only with the Risen3D model packs, all other add-ons disabled.

Perhaps these addons can be converted for use with DDay, but I do not know how much time it would take. I can not help, sorry, because now I plan to be near jHeretic.
  • Well, the jpegs would be easy enough to convert to png's or an image format Dday supports.

As for the three unknown flags, "attackskin", "doublespin" and "cull", they could be negiable depending on what they actually do;

"doublespin" may literally be spin at double the speed of the "spin" flag, which exists in Dday and Risen3D

"attack skin" sounds like a alternate way of changing the models skin specifically for it's attack states. Dday and Risen3D can change the skin used state by state in the models defs.

"cull" sounds like a way to disable parts of the model from rendering at certain points.
  • The "cull" flag is unnecessary in Doomsday. Risen3d uses it to pre-declare which models should use an alternative algorithm for clipping (this is unnecessary in Doomsday, as we have since extended the core clipping algorithm).
  • if I have any advice on it, it would be to, if you are new to it, look in the zip and see what declarations are made with which models. If you recognize the skin being specified in "attack skin" for instance, and you see where it shows up on the model while playing, then you'll understand its function. These models are all relatively simple, aren't they? But some things seem a little more behind the scenes than others. If we come to understand them, though, then it's like language. Another language is impossible until you learn, but once you know, you can speak it with your eyes closed.