Skyjake's PPA and stable version

I am a Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS user. I added Skyjake's PPA, updated sources and installed Doomsday:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sjke/doomsday
sudo apt update
sudo apt install doomsday --no-install-recommends

Above method installed the unstable version. Is there any way to install the stable version via PPA?

Comments

• The stable version is in the same PPA but the package is called “doomsday-stable”. You can only have either “doomsday” or “doomsday-stable” installed at the same time, so be sure to uninstall “doomsday” first.
  • edited 2017 Aug 10
    Thank you for quick reply!

I removed the unstable version and autoremoved some clutter: libqt5x11extras5, libsdl2-2.0-0, libsdl2-mixer-2.0-0 and libsndio6.1
    sudo apt remove doomsday
    sudo apt autoremove

Then I installed the stable version.
    sudo apt install doomsday-stable --no-install-recommends

Nothing else was installed. I could not find doomsday to launch from dash. So I removed doomsday. There was no need for autoremove any debris.
    sudo apt remove doomsday-stable

So I reinstalled the unstable version.
    sudo apt install doomsday --no-install-recommends

Some packages were co-installed: libqt5x11extras5, libsdl2-2.0-0, libsdl2-mixer-2.0-0 and libsndio6.1

Now I can play again the unstable version :blush:
  • Hmm, you are correct, the doomsday-stable packages for 2.0.x do appear to be broken. I will need to investigate what has gone wrong with the build.
  • I took a look at the build scripts, and indeed there has been a problem with preparing the stable source packages for Launchpad. I have applied some fixes, so the next stable release (2.0.4) should be good to go on Launchpad as well (also added Zesty for future builds).
  • edited 2017 Aug 22
    Thank you for your work!

I think that
    sudo apt install doomsday

should always install the latest stable version and
    sudo apt install doomsday-latest

should install the latest development version. Just a proposal..
  • edited 2017 Sep 1
    There was an updated stable 2.0.3 build today, however from the looks of it the Launchpad builds still wouldn’t generate proper DEBs. The build rules are probably broken in the stable variant. I’ll keep looking...

When it comes to changing the package names, I don’t have enough experience in Apt package management to know if renaming packages is allowed. If I set up a new PPA the names could be changed, though. I’ll leave it as it is for now.

EDIT: I noticed the Launchpad builds have actually been successful also for the stable versions, however the built files have not been included in the produced DEB packages. I will do another build tomorrow to see if I managed to fix the scripts in the correct way.
  • Seems to be working correctly now in build 2435: https://launchpad.net/~sjke/+archive/ubuntu/doomsday/+packages