Question about 3d stereoscopy

edited 2015 Dec 17 in General
Hi there. I've been noticing for quite some time now that a lot of graphic engines (like Doomsday itself) and emulators started to add 3d stereoscopy. So, the question is: in your case, did you developed the entire feature yourselves, or there is some sort of free opensource generic code, library or something like that, that enables the 3d? If there is, could you point me where I can download it?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• you mean oculase rift support? that needs you to have the rift and the code needs to be developed as a plugin to the software it's self.
  • Hi there. I've been noticing for quite some time now that a lot of graphic engines (like Doomsday itself) and emulators started to add 3d stereoscopy. So, the question is: in your case, did you developed the entire feature yourselves, or there is some sort of free opensource generic code, library or something like that, that enables the 3d? If there is, could you point me where I can download it?
    I'm not aware of any open source libraries specifically for this purpose, although some probably exist. Doomsday's basic stereoscopy support was contributed by cmbruns and I've been building on it from there.

Here's an overview:
    • You need to have the concept of rendering the scene from both the left and right eye of the viewer. This may be as simple as determining the typical distance between one's eyes in the real world, converting that to game world units, and applying it as an offset when rendering the scene.
    • For displaying stereoscopic content, there are a few alternatives depending on the display technology. TVs oftentimes support split-screen modes where the left and right eyes are either horizontally or vertically stacked in the same frame. Then you have anaglyph views where the left and right frames use non-overlapping color channels. Finally you can have hardware support where the video card itself provides separate left and right eye frame buffers, or you have a specialized viewing apparatus like the Oculus Rift.
  • Thanks for the answers. Boomer, I really had hoped there was an opensource code I could download. But thanks for the answers anyway. I'll keep looking.
  • Thanks for the answers. Boomer, I really had hoped there was an opensource code I could download. But thanks for the answers anyway. I'll keep looking.

Maybe I'm missing the question... but DE _IS_ open source! Of course you'd have to extract the pieces you need, but still it seems like a pretty big head start!

Maybe I'm missing the question... but DE _IS_ open source! Of course you'd have to extract the pieces you need, but still it seems like a pretty big head start!

The thing is, I'm looking from opensource code for a friend who is developing a game, but I'm not sure if he'll release the game for free or he'll sell it. Therefore, well, I believe it wouldn't be right to use your code in a project that will be used for sale, that's the thing. I'm looking for opensource code because my friend doesn't have a lot of money to buy expensive enviroments that would make the developing of the game a lot easier. But his project, I don't know if he'll even release it ever, and if he does, either for free or for sale. Bottomline, I'm looking for opensource code because of money lacking, but for a project that may be for sale. That's the reason I'm not using the Doomsday Engine's code.
    Of course, if you give me permission to use it, that would be great!!! That would be absolutely fantastic, it'll solve all my problems. But I will NOT use without your permission.
    So, would you give me permission to use your code?
  • So, would you give me permission to use your code?
    Doomsday's 3D/VR code is actually split in two parts:
    • The libraries are available under LGPL, meaning you can use them even in commercial projects. The main limitation is that you have to release any changes you make to the libraries, but you can keep your app closed source. The relevant libraries are libgui (OpenGL stuff) and libappfw (particularly vrwindowtransform.cpp).
    • The Doom-derived code is under GPL because it is partially based on id Software's and Raven Software's code. This comprises the application level functionality in the client, e.g., head tracking input mappings for Oculus Rift.
    (Although it must be noted that the current Doomsday OVR code is a bit obsolete.)

So to summarize, while I can't give you any additional permissions to use the code, some of the valuable parts are available under LGPL.
  • Got it. Thaks for the info. I don't entirely understand all the types of licencies, but my friend surely will. We'll both have a look at your answer, skyjake, and then, according to it, we'll decide what to do. We won't do it right now, though, but sometime in the future we will. Thaks a lot for your answers ;)