Opening Taskbar / Console with tilde

edited 2014 Feb 6 in General
I have a few questions:

1- Has the taskbar officially replaced the console?
2- I tried pressing tilde and combinations of shift+tilde, etc. And nothing happens. Is this the default or am I missing something?
3- If so, How would I bind tilde to the taskbar?
4- What's the best way to reset all my keyboard binding to their default?
5- Or where are the config files located so I can make a 100% clean install. Both snowberry and the settings inside the engine.

Comments

• I hope this is what you are looking for.

To bring up the “Task Bar” use the "Shift+ESC" keys (together).

Once the “Task Bar” is up you will find a “Gear Icon” in the bottom right corner of the screen which you may click on to get a Menu of various functions that you can manipulate.

You may also click on the Doomsday Engine Icon to the right of the Gear Icon to get more functionality.

To escape from the “Task Bar” or any other info that you may have displaced on the screen use the “ESC” escape key repeatedly until all that you wish to remove are removed.

I hope this is all correct.

Good Luck
  • Makaki wrote:
    1- Has the taskbar officially replaced the console?
    Yes. The console is now integrated into the taskbar.
    2- I tried pressing tilde and combinations of shift+tilde, etc. And nothing happens. Is this the default or am I missing something?
    You must be missing the default binding for Tilde. It should open the taskbar and put keyboard focus on the console command line.
    3- If so, How would I bind tilde to the taskbar?
    Open the taskbar (Shift-Esc), and type this to the console:
    bindevent global:key-tilde-down+key-shift-up taskbar
    bindevent console:key-tilde-down+key-shift-up taskbar

This makes the Tilde key (with no Shift pressed) toggle the taskbar both when the console is focused and when the taskbar is closed.
    4- What's the best way to reset all my keyboard binding to their default?
    clearbindings; defaultbindings

5- Or where are the config files located so I can make a 100% clean install. Both snowberry and the settings inside the engine.
    If you're on Windows, Snowberry settings are under "(My) Documents\Doomsday Frontend". The files you'll want to delete are "runtime\persist.pack" and "runtime\configs\".
  • Thanks for the info.

I tried clearing the binds and setting the default, as well as the 2 commands given. And tilde doesn't work on my setup. I can however access the taskbar with Shift+Esc.

By the output given by the taskbar/console it seems the binds were already there, but the tilde button just doesn't work. And if the taskbar is already open, typing tilde actually shows the character.

The following may be of interest:
    After clearbindings, defaultbindings says:
    Deleting binding 41, it has been overridden by binding 113.

Is the defaultbindings script repeating 1 line?

Right after that, I did the 2 commands suggested. It deleted binding 13 and 14, and set them as 152 and 153. Which I assume means those binds were already there. (But they don't work for me)

I have Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit SP1 and my keyboard is standard US Layout. Could it be a Windows issue? I know most of you use Linux.

The keyboard is a Saitek Eclipse (first generation). Which other than the back-lighting and 3 volume control buttons, doesn't have anything special. eg: Macros, Function buttons, etc.
  • Makaki, I have the same experience as you (tilde key still not activating the taskbar after entering the two commands Skyjake gave). No doubt I am doing something wrong.

My operating system is the same as yours but my key board is a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 U.S. keyboard.

In addition, I did not clear my bindings first but the messages I received after pressing the “enter key” after each command that Skyjake gave out was the same as you received.

Sooner or later it will get figured out but everything still seems to be working fine including shift-Escape which still brings up the taskbar.
  • Note that the bindings skyjake gave will bind Shift+Tilde and not Tilde on its own.
  • I wondered about that so I had tried shift-tilde but it did not work either.

Would binding the tilde key alone be what Skyjake had but leaving out the shift-up words?
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Note that the bindings skyjake gave will bind Shift+Tilde and not Tilde on its own.
    Sorry but you are mistaken: the bindings I gave will specifically bind Tilde with the condition that Shift is NOT pressed also.

I will add a simple tool for us to determine what key code is actually being produced when you press your Tilde key, so we can see what should be done.
  • skyjake wrote:
    I will add a simple tool for us to determine what key code is actually being produced when you press your Tilde key, so we can see what should be done.
    I think this may solve the problem as I had forgotten that on all of my U.S. Keyboards (some other U.S. keyboards do differ on this however) that the key that I think of as the “tilde” key is really the “apostrophe” key. To get a tilde I need to use shift to get a tilde and without shift I get an apostrophe.

To try this out I substituted apostrophe for tilde in the two lines you gave to change the key binding and it now works.

Other keyboards in other countries may differ so your simple tool should prove helpful.
  • skyjake wrote:
    DaniJ wrote:
    Note that the bindings skyjake gave will bind Shift+Tilde and not Tilde on its own.
    Sorry but you are mistaken: the bindings I gave will specifically bind Tilde with the condition that Shift is NOT pressed also.
    Ah, I misinterpreted/misread.
  • There will be a new unstable build tomorrow with this:
    key_grabber.png

As you can see it shows both the key codes and Doomsday's symbolic name for the event, which can then be used in bindings.

EDIT: And here it is: build 1008. It would be interesting to hear how common this issue is, so that we could for instance change the default console shortcut mapping from tilde to apostrophe on Windows.
  • Thanks for the update.

on my keyboard it reports as key-apostrophe-down and key-apostrophe-up. (instead of tilde)

I guess it could be added as default binds too? and make it redundant? Also, what's up with the bind on line 41 that I reported before?
  • I use a standard EN-UK QWERTY keyboard with Windows 7 and the corresponding MUI pack and keyboard layout. The doomsday.exe binary is described as being for EN-US locale. Note however that I have no other languages setup.

As you'll see from the above link, "tilde" is actually physically next to the return key on my keyboard. However, Doomsday correctly deduces the key to the left of 1 should be mapped as "key-tilde" as this is the name of that physical key in the EN-US layout, which the binary is setup for (set during the "RC" phase of compilation, btw).

I guess the question is more whether it should behave like this (all keyboard layouts resolve to that of the binary), or whether the "correct" names of the physical keys for each layout should be used.
  • This is an EN-US keyboard, mapped as EN-US
    (Windows 7)

The button itself without shift is in fact an ` apostrophe (aka: backquote, backtick, grave accent)
    With shift I get the ~ Tilde
  • my game also reports it as key-apostrophe-down and key-apostrophe-up. I can't get the key binding to work though. I've typed it in trying both ways, apostrophe and tilde but so far am only able to make it close the taskbar if it is open, it won't open the taskbar.
    To open the taskbar I first have to open the menu using esc then go to options and then show taskbar.
    To be honest, I miss the old console so far.
  • This fixed it for me:
    bindevent global:key-apostrophe-down+key-shift-up taskbar
    bindevent console:key-apostrophe-down+key-shift-up taskbar

• I've a pretty bog-standard American English keyboard, relatively new install of deng, and had same problem.
    Key reports as:
    DD:39 Qt:0x60 Native:0xc0
    key-apostrophe-up

The bind commands SkyJake posted worked for me as well.
  • Yes I know it's a seriously old thread but never the less..
    Yes please make the tilde key set by default (without having to go in the options menu to enable it) why would we now have to bind a key for the console when we never had to before?
    Would be my only complaint about the UI, everything else about it IS pretty nice!