Doomsday 1.8.6 crash on exit[vista & probably 7]

edited 2009 Sep 20 in Technical Support
This is the one issue I have never been able to solve. Even in my "repack". I ignored it for a while because i thought "hey, your just exiting anyway" but i do find it annoying to have to use crtl alt delete only so often on exiting the program. I very highly doubt this has anything to do with snowberry just because the application closes and I notice significant improvement in performance and less crash on exit moments when running the doomsday.exe in compatibility mode for windows 2000[also for xp sp2 mode but only performance wise]. This has also been reported on windows 7 by TR2N aka "niko" on my Repack's thread. This seems to have nothing to do with sound, because I have changed the sound driver.

The most common occurrence of this, even in compatibility mode for 2000, is exiting quickly after a map is loaded for any reason. If i just fooled around for 10+ seconds and then exited I was usually fine. 3d models and resource packs/standard doom make no difference either. This also happened on my old 8600GT before i upgraded to a 9800GT, with drivers at their latest[yes including the "perfect" 182.5 at the time it was released.] so it can't be my video card either. I just have a gut feeling it has something to do with later OS's compatibility with 1.8.6. Any help would be greatly appreciated. So yeah... help?

[EDIT: Hrmm... I've just noticed that it happens even less when I turn compatibility mode off, back to its default state, and set threaded optimization to Auto on my video card. Still though, that doesn't help considering I want it off for the perfect 60 fps and it still happens.]

Comments

• Hi RiShooty,

i have also tested it yesterday, and i think there no regularity that the error appears when closing the game. I first thought it has something to do with the one of the packs, but deactivating does not help at all - but i have the feeling, that playing without any addon prevents the error better. In the event log is just a entry, that the Doomsday.exe crashes, but without any details.

I am on Windows 7 Professional [32-Bit] with the latest Nvidia ForceWare drivers installed for my 8800 GTS/640. All other system components like the Realtek HD audio are up 2 date.

I hope, this helps someone of the developers.
  • i have also tested it yesterday, and i think there no regularity that the error appears when closing the game.

Yeah, i know. It didn't run any better in compatibility mode AT all. I was just getting a lucky streak :/. Yeah like sometimes after it crashes, it wont crash after multiple tests. Yet with the same settings later it'll start crashing again. So compatibility mode doesn't seem to do anything. However, yeah in my EDIT of the last post i did notice a big difference in video card settings, so I'm pretty sure it is the video card. Not the drivers, not the card itself, but the default settings. Because doomsday automatically defaults to the highest anisotropic filtering possible[for cards like TR2N's and Mine, it'll default to 16 and you can see this in the startup console] I thought id try setting texture performance settings like "anisotropic sample optimization" or "negative LOD bias" and not much difference in crashing on exit. Same for extention limit, in fact its worse. Still though, because exiting the game is the only thing causing it, degrading the quality shouldn't be necessary so there has to be some setting in nvidia control panel or doomsday...

[EDIT] Significant improvement in gameplay and almost never crashes when forcing triple buffering through Nvidia Control Panel. The gameplay runs just as fast and smooth as the latest beta[being that the betas have no vsync, at least so far]. This was no luck streak. The only time i crashed was trying the last level of hell revealed and exiting when while i was being attacked by hundreds of monsters as opposed to hiding behind something before i save and quit like a normal person lol. Basically you would have to REALLY try if you wanted to crash it on exit.

So yeah since this seems to be a performance issue I think forcing vsync off would also work, but of course I wouldn't recommend it unless you got a good high refresh rate monitor or you have a bad video card that can render only so many frames that you wouldn't get tearing anyway. Still though, this only seems to happen on vista and windows 7 as far as reported so I would still rather find the source of the issue. Perhaps it is the way doomsday vsyncs 0.o? I'm not sure, anything could be possible.
  • Issue Resolved! I was right. It's the way doomsday Vsyncs. After forcing vsync on in nvidia control panel, I tested the final level of hell revealed with as many flameballs and objects on the screen as possible and that area about a couple times, plus other common places. NO CRASHES AT ALL. Also, performance is up like 2x! It runs at the same quality, if not even better than the betas. Its faster, but not too fast, it just perfectly locks it at 60fps with optimal speed and consistency. Basically it performs like it did on my crappy windows xp laptop when i ran it in 2-d back about 3/4 years ago when I got into doom or like any zdoom based port.

So 1.8.6 users, front end/OS regardless, who experience any crashing or slowdown:

1. Go to Nvidia control Panel
    2. Go to Manage 3D settings
    3. Add doomsday.exe in your doomsday/bin directory.
    4. scroll all the way down to the bottom and change it from "application controlled" to "force vsync on"

And then your done. :) . But some other options to consider...
    1. Make absolutely sure you have threaded optimization disabled, as this was stated in only so many previous threads.
    2. Other alternatives to doing this are forcing vsync off[haven't tested but probably works considering the betas are in this state by default] or turning on triple buffering[not perfect, more framerate unstable, but won't crash unless you are really trying to.]
    3. These should probably also apply to other video card control panels and video cards [ATI] just look around for the options.
  • I was gonna say, adding an exception to DEP (Data Execution Prevention) for the EXE usually solves thread-termination crashes.
  • I was gonna say, adding an exception to DEP (Data Execution Prevention) for the EXE usually solves thread-termination crashes.
    Hrmm. Even though I solved my issue, I am still very interested. How exactly would you go about doing this and what is it? It could help me for other applications in the future, or as an alternative for people who don't have access to these video card options at all.[for example anyone using intel integrated graphics]
  • RiShooty wrote:
    I was gonna say, adding an exception to DEP (Data Execution Prevention) for the EXE usually solves thread-termination crashes.
    Hrmm. Even though I solved my issue, I am still very interested. How exactly would you go about doing this and what is it?

If you are running 32-bit Windows, don't worry about it as it hardly ever causes any issues :) The only way to add an exception is deep within the Advanced System Settings (WINKEY+PAUSE), and you have to choose the "Enable DEP for all programs except those I specify below:" option, when the default *should* be "Use DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" - XP x64 and I think even Vista x64 have a default of DEP enabled for all processes.

For that reason, AFAIK, DEP can only cause problems if you are on 64-bit Windows XP or Windows Vista, and are running a hardware-DEP capable CPU (such as the Athlon X2 series). Windows 7 x64 is not affected by this bug as long as the setting is kept at the default.

Actually, you can safely ignore all that tech jargon above. Basically, next time you get an AppCrash popup (Blah blah has stopped responding), press the 'Details' button. In that bunch of even-more-technical data, look out for this specific line:
    Problem Event Name:	BEX

The "BEX" means that the hardware-based Data Execution Prevention (i.e. in the CPU) was triggered. But as I said, I think these errors are 99% occuring in 64-bit OS's before Windows 7.

FYI: Some trivia for you from the cyber underground ;) Programs which are cr.acked, i.e., "warez", which have their protection removed with a specific method - memory pointer modifications as an example - usually always trigger this in Windows 7. But I don't know anything about that... =))
  • edited 2009 Sep 19
    Heh funny part is, I am running vista 32 bit. Though I do have an Athlon X2 processor, so maybe that'll do something idk. Since this still happens in 32bit, video card settings are the way to go i guess. However, because I've learned a lot about solving 1.8.6 problems since before i released my repack and after, I am going to make a troubleshooting file pretty soon that I'm going to include with my repack and with a separate download for people who still want to use kick start for any reason. I will certainly include your solution and tips for 64 bit users out there. Not to mention, the more options of what a user wants to do the better. So thx for the info. :)
  • Well i'm not too sure if it is indeed a DEP problem at all. I assume you started typing that reply until I edited my post and added the extra bit about checking for BEX :P Turn VSync back off and see if you get the BEX error, if not I don't think it's really worth mentioning as it's unlikely a DEP and Doomsday 1.8.6 problem :)
  • K ill try that right away.
  • Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
    Application Name: Doomsday.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 41e024d7
    Hang Signature: 2089
    Hang Type: 1
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Hang Signature 1: 8849e97bc9960543be95f119d5851767
    Additional Hang Signature 2: 62a9
    Additional Hang Signature 3: f2bf0c9d01ca6620cd4cfb583c8ef1fb
    Additional Hang Signature 4: 2089
    Additional Hang Signature 5: 8849e97bc9960543be95f119d5851767
    Additional Hang Signature 6: 62a9
    Additional Hang Signature 7: f2bf0c9d01ca6620cd4cfb583c8ef1fb

Nope, no bex.

Thanks anyway though.
  • Ah OK, no worries. Thank you for checking :)

Oh - are you using the 190 Forceware drivers? I started a thread here that might interest you (and pretty much any nVidia user) - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=180