Stuttering issues with 1.10.3?

ochoch
edited 2013 Jun 1 in Technical Support
So I've recently upgraded from 1.9.6 to 1.10.3 and now im having major stuttering issues with the game. The older version was running great, and so were many versions before that. I've been running doomsday for many years, I don't remember which version I started with but it must have been around 2006 when I first discovered it.

With 1.10.3 it seems that it loads every new texture, every new effect, every new object during gameplay, as objects are approached, causing momentary stutters. It only does it the first time that particular object is approached, once every object has been loaded the game is nice and fluid at full 60 fps. Is there a way to make it preload everything into memory to avoid this stuttering?

Comments

• By default Doomsday already does try to preload whatever resources will be needed for a map (you can see this happening by enabling a more -verbose level of logging). It is more likely to be some other issue.

Please detail your system specs and list any add-ons you may be using. There are known issues with certain display drivers, for example, which may significantly affect performance.

When you say you "upgraded" did you install the new version over the top of a previous version? I note that you cite "1.9.6" (presumably you meant either 1.8.6 or 1.9.0-Beta 6) - such an old version can't be upgraded from in such a manner, the correct way is a fresh/new installation.
  • Some quick things to try:
    • Disable antialiasing (with "vid-fsaa 0" or via control panel).
    • Disable texture compression (-notexcomp option or in the launcher graphics options)
  • Guys, first of all sorry for posting this in the wrong section at first.

I was using 1.9.0-Beta 6 to be exact. My CPU is 2600k running at 4.6ghz, 8gb ram and Radeon 6970 video card with Cat 13.4 drivers running on Win7 64.

I actually did a fresh install when I upgraded to the latest version. I deleted Doomsday Frontend from documents folder as well, only preserved WAD files for the new version of doomsday.

Im running the following addons.
    Resource pack
    UI pack
    Sound pack
    Music pack
    High texture pack

The stuttering mostly starts when I enable high res textures, although can be slightly observed even when thats not enabled.
  • Update:

Just disabled texture compression and everything is normal! The gameplay is as fluid as it was with older version!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
  • is amd vision cpu/apu's supported?
    I have the a6 and a8 and i get stutters sometimes I assumed it was due to the core-switching... since i have had this issue with other games and it looks similar.
    the texture compression disabling did help a little tho, thanks.
    any other tricks?
    is there a faq about the graphics options somewhere?
    thanks man
  • Hey guys....all this helped me fix a jitter issue as well. For me it was the anti-aliasing that I turned off that seemed to do the trick. So I wanted to pipe in and say Thank you.