Afrit

edited 2009 Aug 14 in Addons for Hexen
EDIT - You can download the most recent version here:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/22/ ... 090814.pk3

Hey, I was thinking of messing around with the Afrit then...
I was curious as I was looking through the state definitions, but I was a little confused as there's no entry in the Wiki (I could write one if just a couple of things were made clear, but I don't think I'd need to ask about just one) about them...

With the Imp in Heretic, there was a specific state change for when it charged at you, so then I made the frames for it doing that. With the states for the Afrit, it doesn't appear that there's any specific "states" for when it dodges from side to side or backwards. Is that the case? And if so, will that ever change? I was just wondering if I should pose frames for it if I do the afrit, that way in case the .blend is lost, at least they will be done; even if it's not, at least no extra work would have to be done later.

I just think it would be really cool if he looked like he was actually swooping left, right, or pushing back in such cases. Otherwise one might ponder if he was really moving, or if the whole world was moving around him! ;)

I just realized that this might be a redundant question, what with the new definitions stuff for 2.0...
If not, please hit me back! :D

Comments

• I wish I could help you with this but I know nothing about it. I would like to make some observations about the xccp model of the Afrit. 1. it shouldn't have horns, the face is more rat like. 2. it shouldn't be so lean and lanky. more stocky I think. 3. The attack stance isn't quite right.

I don't mean to knock anyones work, what they did was (for me) far better than sprites. But keeping the feel of the game is important. BTW, Hexen is my favorite of the ID wad games so most of what I post will be about Hexen. At one time I had probably the most beautiful Hexen you'd ever see but lost it in a hard drive crash. I may try and duplicate what I had if the models for Hexen continue to improve. And of course I will share it this time for insurance against another crash. Keep up the good work.

P.S. I don't know what the limits of the Deng is but I'm sure they are way higher than the original engine, and with todays comps and vid cards some higher poly models would be welcome as far as I'm concerned. I would say push it and let's see what happens.
  • PostFatal wrote:
    I wish I could help you with this but I know nothing about it. I would like to make some observations about the xccp model of the Afrit. 1. it shouldn't have horns, the face is more rat like. 2. it shouldn't be so lean and lanky. more stocky I think. 3. The attack stance isn't quite right.

Yeah, I was on touch with you about these things. I think those are horns that he has, but they're straight and back, unless those are ears. I figured they were horns, though. The face is already somewhat rat-looking just by messing around with it so far. Just got a little ways to go, though. I usually work mainly on stuff during the week, since on the weekend is "family time", so to speak. :)

Yeah, the attack stance is basically the same one from the gargoyle, and I think the original model was either from a Quake II multiplayer model or something like that. Maybe Heretic II... I'm not sure, I don't remember.

Yeah, the new animation should be accurate to the original: spread eagle triple fireball attack!
  • These aren't at all as clear as I'd like but looking close I believe they are ears.
    http://www.panelmonkey.org/sprite.php?id=486&theme=3 . It mostely looks like a firey batfaced flying monkey thing.
  • PostFatal wrote:
    These aren't at all as clear as I'd like but looking close I believe they are ears.
    http://www.panelmonkey.org/sprite.php?id=486&theme=3 . It mostely looks like a firey batfaced flying monkey thing.

I already made them into horns... :(
  • lol, horns are fine. Do you expect to have it out soon? Can't wait to see it in action. Maybe you can post a shot for us to drool over until you're ready to release it.
  • PostFatal wrote:
    lol, horns are fine. Do you expect to have it out soon? Can't wait to see it in action. Maybe you can post a shot for us to drool over until you're ready to release it.

Well, because of the nature of the animation for flying, and how it only has three frames, I changed the way that he moves while flying. The legs don't move as much and it's almost like the idle animation for the gargoyle/imp.

What I'm stuck on is how to do the fire. I think it would benefit more from some kind of transparent fire texture on strips, but I'm still trying to figure out a good way to animate fire. I could do it by hand, I guess, but that might take too long. It should at least look decent, you know? I think that will be tomorrow's thing...
    I have the animations tweaked and the skins are almost done. The tone has to still be adjusted a little (without completely destroying the contrast in the legs) and I still need to make a frozen skin (tomorrow) and ash piles for when it dies; those and the fireballs.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/22/1007617/IMGs.zip
  • WOW! Even though you made horns instead of ears, He has the perfect look. The face is great, ratlike and evil looking. If the animation lives up to the stills then you have a winner. Feel free to contact me, I would love to test this for you. As for the fire, I really had no problem with what the last afrit model did for fire but if you have an idea that makes it even better then go for it. I think my email is in my profile but if not then it is postfatal at either yahoo or hotmail dot com. My messenger is also postfatal at yahoo for yahoo messenger and postfatal at hotmail for their respective messenger services although I do not connect very regularly ( I will be more active if you wish to communicate with a complete novice) thanks for your answers and reply's to my observations.

wow
  • Psychikon wrote:
    PostFatal wrote:
    lol, horns are fine. Do you expect to have it out soon? Can't wait to see it in action. Maybe you can post a shot for us to drool over until you're ready to release it.

Well, because of the nature of the animation for flying, and how it only has three frames, I changed the way that he moves while flying. The legs don't move as much and it's almost like the idle animation for the gargoyle/imp.

What I'm stuck on is how to do the fire. I think it would benefit more from some kind of transparent fire texture on strips, but I'm still trying to figure out a good way to animate fire. I could do it by hand, I guess, but that might take too long. It should at least look decent, you know? I think that will be tomorrow's thing...
    I have the animations tweaked and the skins are almost done. The tone has to still be adjusted a little (without completely destroying the contrast in the legs) and I still need to make a frozen skin (tomorrow) and ash piles for when it dies; those and the fireballs.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/22/1007617/IMGs.zip

do you think maybe the fire would be best done with particles?
  • KuriKai wrote:
    do you think maybe the fire would be best done with particles?

Well it would certainly be easier, it's just that it'll take alot of them... You know what? I just got a good idea to go along with another idea that I had... The first idea was that I figure I should use either an alternating-start particle system for the fire and smoke, or two dedicated ones, depending on whether or not the blending would look better as blendadd or blendsub. When I was experimenting with fire for torches and braziers before(but lost the pack), the soft-and-subtracted smoke looked REALLY nice and billowy. I'll experiment and see what happens, then.

It should be done soon enough, God-willing!
  • PostFatal wrote:
    WOW! Even though you made horns instead of ears, He has the perfect look. The face is great, ratlike and evil looking. If the animation lives up to the stills then you have a winner. Feel free to contact me, I would love to test this for you. As for the fire, I really had no problem with what the last afrit model did for fire but if you have an idea that makes it even better then go for it.

Well, it's just that the fire really lacked a flickering detail that we know that fires have. Also the bubbling and ribboning of the ionized gas... Without rotation of texture particles, it would require quite a few to get a random look, but two or at the most three with rotation would give a very cool look to it! Not only does it take more types, but as it is, I think it just also means more particles in general. With lower counts, it didn't look proper... I only use the one fire texture that was intended to be for the brazier in Heretic originally. It doesn't look as good as it could, but I think you might agree that the fire at least looks a little better like this; it looks better animated, too. It's like the gargoyle, but a different generator.

In addition to looking better, if we had rotating particles, that would certainly cut down the need for as many certain animated smoke particles (and fire as well) and allow for spinning snowflakes/sparkles etc. I don't know why the XCCP doesn't have the snowflake texture particle for the snow particles after the iced creatures get smashed. It must be older than the actual texture pack or something.

http://img43.imageshack.us/i/img7w.jpg/
  • This is one that would have to be seen in action to fully appreciate I think. On another note, I tried to pm you but I must not have done it right or you didn't check for pm's. If you have yahoo messenger feel free to add postfatal.

The body and face are really looking good, I wonder how much the fire will obscure his good looks.
  • http://rapidshare.com/files/267770009/X ... 090814.pk3

there you are! if it doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you...
    it said it uploaded!

EDIT: Oh yeah! I almost forgot... make sure you uncheck the afrit from the jxrp if you're using this afrit, because for some reason it doesn't overwrite everything properly (if I remember correctly), even if the load order for it is last.

EDIT(2): Afrit model updated to take advantage of an extra submodel on the ice states so that the mobj fire generator doesn't CONTINUE WHILE IT'S FROZEN like it loved to do earlier. The DED was cleaned up a little in the generator sections as well. Lastly, the PNGs for the texture particles were reduced to greyscale PNG with an alpha channel.

The DED for the ice fix is here in case you don't want to redownload the whole PK3:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/267770305/Afrit.ded

EDIT(3): Afrit original .blend file is up for grabs for anyone who wants to look, learn from it, etc. here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/268215641/afrit.blend
    the skins I used for it are the ones I used from the get-go