New Addons Tab?

edited 2006 Aug 13 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>skyjake</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the category: Launchers.</i>

I've been thinking that the current Addons tree in Snowberry is rather awkward to use. I'm currently undertaking some reorganization in the Snowberry sources, and this would be a good time to get rid of the current tree. Its implementation is quite complex, and there are performance issues that cannot be solved easily because the Tree control is not intended for lots of dynamic changes.

I propose a new kind of layout for the Addons tab, where the categories are on the left, and on the right there is a flat list that shows all the addons of the category. The flat list would include addons from the subcategories of the selected category as well, so one could get a list of all the addons by selecting the root category.

The flat list would also show the version number of all addons, so that it wouldn't be necessary to add the version to the addon's name.

Here is a diagram of the new design:
<ul><li><a href="http://deng.sourceforge.net/new-addons-tab.pdf">new-addons-tab.pdf</a></li></ul&gt;

I think this would be quite a bit better than the current all-in-one tree. Any comments?

Comments

• Sounds ok to me. I'm quite happy with the current implementation to be honsest but if it can be streamlined, then thats great.
  • The file manager style should be more familar to users, so it might be better accepted. Shouldn't hurt to try it.