Happenings at the DEW

edited 2006 Jul 22 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>skyjake</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the categories: Blog, Documentation.</i>

I've found myself pretty much unable to work on much code during my summer vacation thus far, and this state of affairs is likely to continue. It's been a long time since I've really been able to take a break from the coding (at work or at home), and it is quite refreshing. Instead, I've been channeling my energies into other, no less valuable tasks, such as improving the documentation.

Currently I'm undertaking some major renovations at <a href="http://dew.dengine.net/">DEW</a>.

I have a proposal for Dani and the rest of the gang: I think we should dispose of the namespaces currently in use at DEW. With TWiki they made sense, since TWiki is a much less advanced wiki system. But MediaWiki is so fuller-featured that it is only a hindrance to us (the article writers and the readers), if we continue to use the namespaces and require "Doomsday:" prefixes everywhere, and links with practically required explicit alternate names.

There aren't yet too many pages in the wiki, so this kind of an operation should be quite doable at this stage.

Comments

• I went ahead and moved most of the articles from the Doomsday namespace. The XG line classes still remain, but I'll move those too.
  • Yes I agree with removing the namespaces. When I set them up originally they seemed to be the ideal the way to seperate content between the projects (DEW, Doomsday, Snowberry) but as you mention - the neew to qualify each link and thus provide alternate labels is much more of a hinderance.

Once all the articles have been moved I'll get rid of the Doomsday and Snowberry namespaces.

From the DEW:Community_Portal article:
    <blockquote>* We should create a template for creating Troubleshooting articles. It would take the symptoms, workarounds, and discussion as parameters.
    * A template for creating Notes. The template should include an icon that is shown in the left margin.</blockquote>
    Agreed.
    <blockquote># Install the Cite extension to enable footnotes and references.
    # Consider upgrading to a newer version of MediaWiki.
    # Configure LaTeX for rendering formulas? (e.g., Sector wind)</blockquote>
    I'll get these setup over the weekend.
    <blockquote>How is the wiki being backed up? (Hopefully somehow.)</blockquote>
    Yes it is. The database is backed up automatically every night by our host. I also backup the FTP contents once a week using a script on to my local machine.
  • <blockquote>Once all the articles have been moved I'll get rid of the Doomsday and Snowberry namespaces.</blockquote> OK.

<blockquote>We should create a template for creating Troubleshooting articles. It would take the symptoms, workarounds, and discussion as parameters.</blockquote> It appears that parameter substitution in templates isn't working for some reason. My local 1.7.1 MediaWiki seems to work with the syntax I used for the template (Template:Troubleshooting).

<blockquote>The database is backed up automatically every night by our host. I also backup the FTP contents once a week using a script on to my local machine.</blockquote> Excellent.