About multiplayer in 1.9.7

regreg
edited 2012 Jun 13 in General
set up a public open server so that everyone interested can join in on testing the revised multiplayer code. However, while this allows me to stress-test and debug the server, it doesn’t give me much to go on with the improving the clientside experience (as I’ll practically have a zero latency if I join the game)
I think that creating artificial latency is a better way. DarkPlaces, for example, has settings for artificial latency and packet loss. Also, putting an artificial rate limit to test how it would behave on slow connections may br useful.

Comments

• Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Simulating a realistic network connection will go a long way, but we will need to do testing over the actual real network, too. Truth be told, I can only hazard guesses at how an actual internet connection behaves in real world scenarios... It boils down to bandwidth, latency and packet loss, yes, but there's an awful lot of random variables in the system, and simulation may not catch all the issues -- or it may focus on an insignificant subset of the real problem.

But yes, I will most likely do plenty of simulation before the real network testing can begin.
  • Is it so, that with 1.9.7 or 1.9.8 I cannot host and play a network game on the same host/machine? Is doomsday now dedicated only?
  • yannara wrote:
    Is it so, that with 1.9.7 or 1.9.8 I cannot host and play a network game on the same host/machine? Is doomsday now dedicated only?
    Yes and yes. (Really. Just run dedicated server on the same machine.)
  • At some point we'll add an in-game menu option for starting a dedicated server on the local computer. Before that happens, you have to start the dedicated server manually yourself.