Demo Records

PVSPVS
edited 2011 Jun 3 in General
Greetings Doomsday Community!
Long time I'm looking for demos, recorded on this engine, but can not find anything.
Interested any demo records from jDoom, jHeretic and jHexen, recorded on any version of the Doomsday engine.
If someone will tell me - where I can find, or it can share its collection of demo recordings - would be very grateful!

A small question.
In older releases of the engine, I found this demo record: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16645572/UDemo2.cdm (this demo is working on Doomsday 1.9.0 beta-4 and older)
I'm interested - how create such demos? It is possible on the standard version of the engine?

P.S.
I badly write in English, sorry. If I am hard to understand - tell me, I'll try again.
:)

Comments

• If I remember correctly, demos can't be recorded or played on current version (1.9.0-beta6.9). Probably possible at beta4 and older.
    I don't think there's many Doomsday demos. There's not many ZDoom demos either - and ZDoom has many more "advanced" users - those who now how to record and play back demos. (I didn't count private demos).
  • On a general level, demo recording/playback is not very high on the project's priority list. The Roadmap pegs it as a post-2.0 feature, and I can say with 95% certainty that demos will not be enabled for the next stable release.

In the older versions of Doomsday, demo recording is started with the recorddemo console command (a game must first be started). For instance, "recorddemo mydemo.cdm". The stopdemo command stops the recording.
  • Thanks for the answers! And the main thing, I want to say many thanks to Skyjake, DaniJ and all others people, whom I do not know, thank you for your project! I wish you success in your work over the DoomsDay Engine!

To my question, I have no problems with play/record demos on DoomsDay. We can bind special keys for this. For example - bind keys for command "recorddemo", "pausedemo", "stopdemo" and use them. I'm doing well, very convenient.

I wanted to say, that I search a Doomsday demos for my collection. I like to watch them sometimes. And play the demos can be, for example - a simple InFine script. We can collect a good/fun/speed demo records for any DDay games, write comments to them and play using InFine. I was doing something, now called [jHeretic InFine]. Do not know, how to tell clearer, easier to show. I recorded a little video (59Mb), if anyone interested:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16645572/jHeretic-InFine.avi
    This is a small example - how it works. In this InFine script - menu control and start any demo records can be done by pressing buttons.

Why I wanted to ask - can anyone has kept any old or new demos from Doomsday Engine? And could share them for me? Version of the DDay engine on which they were written or need to play their - it does not matter. I'm using multiple versions of the engine along with some resources.

Of course, I understand, that today any DoomsDay demos already difficult to find...
  • Very cool! B-) :D
  • A small question - DDay has limits on the length ded-scripts?
    I write InFine script which now contains about 2500 lines with comments. All content located in one script (ID = "Title"). Today I was faced with the fact, that I can not add new lines in the script - DDay crashed during boot. Versions DDay do not matter, I tried to run on 1.7.15 up to version 1.9.0 beta6.9 and 1.9.7 - error is the same.
    I can not cause a log, because it contains no information, because DDay's crash without having to boot.

I can not understand what the reason, except that the script is too big for DDay. I hope for your help, I planned to unnecessarily add to the script a lot of new lines.
    ==========================================

On the topic of demos.
    A couple of days ago I first played in jHeretic DeathMatch! It turned out - it's great fun!
    I do not know guys, whether you are interested, but you can see for yourself, we recorded the demos with two cameras: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16645572/jHeret ... lantis.zip (DM-map Atlantis - included). Of course, these demos for old versions - 1.8.6 and below, but for me - the best show on version 1.7.15.

Maybe this demo - you laugh, where at the end - a war of chickens!
    B-)
  • I thought DaniJ removed the limit on infine def length at some point in the 1.9 Beta 6.x branch?
  • I remove a limit but there are others. For example, the net protocol presently takes a copy of the script when preparing deltas and embeds it in the packet - there is most likely a limit there too.
  • If I understood correctly - the limit really exists, and I see that the limit has only a single script with the same "ID"-name, not the file "MyInFine.ded". Ok, I'll try to break my big script to separate ID = "name" and switch between them...

I would like to ask another - whether it is possible to load an external ded-file from InFine script? At the moment I get only load Wad-file from InFine.
  • The "load" console command can probably be called from infine. Though the command is a bit buggy in all released versions of DDay, as of writting (i.e in 1.8.6 it has a tendancy to mess up the status bar graphics).
  • While it might be technically possible to do that, one should observe the intention and use of the "load" console command: it is not intended as a means for mods to dynamically change the users' runtime environment.

Note the use of term "user". When a mod starts changing anything belonging to the user, thats when the mod has stepped over the line; its no longer a "mod" in the traditional DOOM addon sense.
  • Thanks for the answers.
    I use the "load" command in my script for to view demos which are record on custom (not standart) maps. If user choose to view these demos - the script first loads needed for her map (wad file) and then - plays demo record. When the demo end - script unload custom map. It's works fine.

I showed the work of the script [jHeretic InFine] earlier in this thread (a message from 19 Apr 2011). This is a simple script, but in this moment - very big. I attach my script so you can watch yourself, I think - so it's easier to understand what I mean.

Now, I did not get to split my (ID = "Title") script into separate (ID = "Names") scripts. It turned out, but I do not know how to do it. I'm trying, but it is impossible for me. To proceed to the second script - we need to stop the current?

I planned to do this by following these steps in InFine script:

cmd "after 5 startinf script2" - transition to the second script via 5 tics
    cmd "stopinf" - stop current "Title" script

I wanted to check - will it work? And that the engine will recall that need to move to the second script, after the main script is stopped. But I can not find the correct syntax for command: (cmd "after 5 startinf script2"), I tried different variants with quotes - but all not correct. I think the problem is given command contains name (ID) of script - "script2", and I do not know what should be the correct syntax for this command, so it worked in InFine script.

Maybe I am wrong, and this way not correct, but the other way I have not found. I was very grateful if anyone will be able to prompt the correct way! If I can switch between different ID-scripts - I will continue.

P.S.
    If anyone will watch this script - it can connect as a regular addon for game jHeretic. The script works on any version of DDay higher than 1.7.15. To view the script - just run the DDay and wait about 10 seconds. In this time in jHeretic InFine work only "Demo Arena" section, just for easy viewing of demos he had written.
  • The after console command takes 2 arguments, the delay and the command string to be executed. If your command string contains spaces then you need to surround it by scope delimiters (either double quotes or curly brackets).

Try this:
    after 5 "startinf script2"

I wouldn't advise chaining together InFine scripts using console commands executed from within them. That is a seriously ugly kludge. Can you not split it up into subscripts? It seems to me like most of what you are doing is queuing console command sequences from within InFine. If you extract the command sequences into say, aliases, you might be able to significantly reduce the character count.

Although, how come the script is so long in the first place? I must say this is the first time I know of where anyone has actually breached this character limit...
  • Thanks DaniJ! I forgot about curly brackets. Now is working from a InFine script: cmd "after 5 {startinf script2}".
    One way working, even though not very good. But of course, in this case, script requires a large amount of rework.

I do not quite understand at the expense of subscripts. If I have one script (ID = "Title") - I can create subscripts inside it? Settings and names from the main script - work in his subscripts? Where can I find a small code example of such a script?

Another question, if I understood correctly - DDay has a limit on the number characters in one ID scripts and not by the number of lines in it?

P.S.
    Once, I found a package of demos for jHeretic that are recorded Andrey Budko in 2003, which contains about 30 demos. To see them - we need to put them in the correct folder, open console, write command and right filename for each demo record. And if you do not know or have forgotten over time - how to do it right, it's not easy to do. Then I thought, that these demos I can browse and run by InFine script writing to him once. At the moment - this task and executes the script [jHeretic InFine] and nothing more. While in this form as you can see yourself. Of course - it can be better and nicer to issue in the future. Just a pity that these demo recordings are no longer compatible with new versions of the DDay.

We can develop this theme further, such as a text description, some pictures of the game itself, information about the authors, monsters, weapons, just some interesting information, demo records with a description for them, etc.. Put it all in the addon, and it will all be available to the player directly from the game. In my opinion - it would be nice addition for DoomsDay.

Today I have about 70 demos for jHeretic, each can be run using this script. Demos are divided into groups, to each have a small text description, various options for viewing - probably on this script turned out so long. I'm not a great expert in ded-scripts, all I know - taken from the DDay documentation. So, of course, I think that my InFine code is not good.