Running Snowberry as normal user in XP

regreg
edited 2011 Mar 8 in Technical Support
I recently re-installed Doomsday (build 66), and Snowberry refuses to work: all settings are lost upon exit, and when i click "Play" or try to close it, an error window appears, complaining that it was denied permission to write into a file somewhere in Program Files. What's the purpose of installation, if it assumes that Program Files is writable? (Which isn't, for the normal user). Should I run the install as normal user, or should I give the write permissions to Snowberry folder, or something else?

Comments

• On XP the default for Snowberry is to run in the "homeless" mode, which means it attempts to save its files under the "\Program Files\Doomsday\Snowberry" folder. In other words, it only works for admin users.

When Snowberry is started with the "-home" command line option, it will save its files under the user's home folder, and only accesses the Program Files in read-only mode (as is proper).

I guess Snowberry should be a bit more clever in determining its default mode on Windows, so that it would know when a non-admin user is running it. (Or it could be a setup-time option.)
  • "-home" option seems to work, thanks.