Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Doom 2 "Missing data files"

edited 2017 Sep 27 in DOOM
I've looked everywhere for a fix to this and it looks like I'm the only one that's ever had this problem. When I try to play Doom 2, the default entry says "missing data files" and will not play. If I create a custom entry using the same .wad file it works just fine. Anyone know what's going on? (Also, covered in a previous post, I cannot turn left while sprinting, but I can turn right)

Comments

• edited 2017 Sep 27
    Delete the two files listed below. Doomsday recreates them on the next start and reparses its subfolder ".\Doomsday\data" for any available DOOM/DOOM2/Heretic/Hexen main WAD file.
    "c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Deng Team\Doomsday Engine\runtime\persist.pack"

"c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Deng Team\Doomsday Engine\runtime\configs\game.dei"

If you have installed any of these games in different locations you can setup each game path via the DataFiles menu, available from Doomsday's TaskBar.

QiJvFFp.jpg

Regarding your keyboard issue check my post here.
  • edited 2017 Sep 27
    Done. No change. As far as the keyboard thing goes, I can turn left when I'm not running, I just can't turn when I'm holding down the shift key. Or if I hold down the left button first, then I can't run.
  • If not already the case try copying Doom.wad and/or Doom2.wad into Doomsday's \data subfolder, then again delete the two files I mentioned in my previous post. If Doomsday still does not detect the games there's a chance that you do not have the proper main WAD files available.

Regarding your Keyboard issue please continue in the related thread.
  • Have tried that already. They won't work with the default menu item, but if I create another one for Doom 2 they work.
  • Which version of Doomsday are you using, and which version of Doom2?
  • Latest stable, and I don't know. How do you tell what version your wad file is?
  • Caboose30 wrote: »
    How do you tell what version your wad file is?
    The file size is maybe the easiest way. This should help you identify it: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/DOOM2.WAD
  • I have version 1.666g.
  • edited 2017 Sep 28
    That's the initial release of DOOM2 - German Version. Doomsday is not aware of this version and therefore does not detect it as a valid game file.

You can patch DOOM2.WAD to the latest official release v1.9 using this tool: IWADPatcher v1.2

How to patch DOOM2.WAD to v1.9:
    1. copy iwadpatcher.exe to your DOOM2.WAD location
    2. run iwadpatcher.exe with the following command line:
      iwadpatcher.exe -Odoom2_new.wad doom2.wad

3. optionally backup your old v1.666g DOOM2.WAD (e.g. copy DOOM2.WAD to DOOM2_OLD.WAD)
    4. overwrite your old DOOM2.WAD with DOOM2_NEW.WAD (rename DOOM2_NEW.WAD to DOOM2.WAD)

To verify that Doomsday detects the new DOOM2.WAD you've just created, simply delete the two files persist.pack and game.dei, as described in my first post above.

Happy DOOMing! :)
  • Hey, it works! Thank you so much! Now I just need to solve the keyboard issue and I can play this game with impunity.