Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

doomsday2 builds assimp despite being provided by system

Despite assimp being provided by the system, and found(?) by cmake, doosmday nevertheless tries to build its own copy.
[   28s] -- Building a non-boost version of Assimp.
[   28s] -- Looking for ZLIB...
[   28s] -- Checking for module 'zzip-zlib-config'
[   28s] --   Found zzip-zlib-config, version 
[   28s] -- Found ZLIB: optimized;/usr/lib64/libz.so;debug;/usr/lib64/libz.so
[   28s] -- Checking for module 'minizip'
[   28s] --   Found minizip, version 1.2.8
[   29s] -- Enabled formats: 3DS COLLADA IRR MD2 MD3 MD5 MDL OBJ BLEND FBX
[   29s] -- Disabled formats: AC ASE ASSBIN ASSXML B3D BVH DXF CSM HMP LWO LWS MDC NFF NDO OFF OGRE OPENGEX PLY MS3D COB IFC XGL Q3D Q3BSP RAW SMD STL TERRAGEN 3D X
[   29s] -- Configuring libgui...
[   29s] -- Found Open Asset Import Library: $<TARGET_LINKER_FILE:assimp>
(…)
[   36s] … /usr/bin/c++   -DASSIMP_BUILD_BOOST_WORKARO(…)   -o CMakeFiles/assimp.dir/Assimp.cpp.o -c /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/doomsday-2.0.0/doomsday/external/assimp/code/Assimp.cpp
(…)
[  109s] /usr/bin/c++  (…) -shared -Wl,-soname,libdeng_gui.so.2.0 -o libdeng_gui.so.2.0.0 (…) ../libcore/libdeng_core.so.2.0.0 /usr/lib64/libQt5OpenGLExtensions.a /usr/lib64/libQt5Widgets.so.5.7.1 -lz -lminizip assimp/code/libassimp.a -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lXext /usr/lib64/libQt5X11Extras.so.5.7.1 -lXrandr -lXxf86vm /usr/lib64/libQt5Network.so.5.7.1 /usr/lib64/libQt5Gui.so.5.7.1 /usr/lib64/libQt5Core.so.5.7.1 
[  109s] /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/doomsday-2.0.0/doomsday/external/assimp/code/FBXParser.cpp:571: undefined reference to `inflateInit_'
I can't tell if TARGET_LINKER_FILE:assimp is the right thing, but seeing that Assimp.cpp gets compiled tells me cmake is refusing to use the system-provided assimp.

Comments

• That is correct, Doomsday has been configured to always build Assimp from "doomsday/external/assimp/" as a static library that gets linked into libgui.

The custom version of Assimp is compiled because I'm using a handful of my own patches in there (mostly minor tweaks to MD5 and MD2 loaders), and this way I can control which format importers are enabled and thus supported in Doomsday.
  • edited 2017 Apr 27
    Then it seems to have truly forgotten adding `-lz` and `-lGL` after assimp.a: https://build.opensuse.org/build/games/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/x86_64/doomsday/_log
  • I did a test build on openSUSE Leap 42.2 with GCC 5, using the Doomsday master branch. (The default GCC 4.8 is too old for Doomsday.)

There was a build failure because CMake did not detect which compiler was being used. I applied a fix, after which the build succeeded.
  • Note that the build service (the "automated" environment) always builds with the equivalent of `-Wl,--as-needed`, which is not activated in a normal ("desktop") installation. Library symbol satisfaction happens from left-to-right, so the "-lz" in the command line does not satisfy assimp.a; this must be reversed. First assimp.a, then -lz and -lGL.
  • I'll look into it. However, the command line flags are entirely produced by CMake, but I believe it should respect the order the libraries are requested to be linked.

Of course, if you have any patches for me, would appreciate it. :)