Diagonal line visible when turning

I got a new laptop for Christmas, and I decided to try Doomsday on it. Whenever I make a turn, I see this diagonal line split in the middle of the screen. It disappears when I stop turning. Kind of hard to get a screenshot of it because of that. I tried reinstalling Doomsday and my video card driver. My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M with driver 361.43. I am on Windows 10 Pro. If I switch to the Intel video card (Intel HD Graphics 530) on the laptop then the problem disappears.

Is this a bug or is there something I need to change with my video card settings?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hmm, could you describe the line in a bit more detail, please? Is it dark or light? Thick/thin? The same color all over? Does it span the entire width of the game view?

Does toggling the VSync and FSAA options make any difference, or running in windowed mode?
  • It goes diagonal across the screen, from the top left to the bottom right. It looks thin, and it's kind of hard to give a color, but you can see a clear split in the screen.

If I disable VSync, the problem largely goes away, and it only seems to be visible if you turn really fast. The same happens if I also disable FSAA.

Of course I try to get a video capture of it with Fraps and it won't show up if I have that running.
  • Now, this is a screenshot from ZDaemon, but the line you see in the picture is pretty similar to what I was getting in Doomsday on Windows 10 (he was also experiencing this on Windows 10). Only real difference was that mine was diagonal, not horizontal. Like me, he was also getting the line whenever he was turning.

Hope this helps.

http://85.214.149.120/images/Win10_ZD.png
  • That screenshot shows a well-known graphics artifact called "tearing". It occurs when the monitor refresh is not synced with the software redrawing the contents of the
    screen, and can be fixed by enabling the VSync option. It is most visible while turning due to the way the contents of the screen are moving, but it is actually present all the time.

I haven't seen diagonal tearing before, though...
  • but you forget he says the problem goes away when v-sync is off except for super fast rotations this leads me to believe that it's a gfx problem on his end or the renderer but i have not encountered such a problem.
  • Yes, as Gordon was saying, the problem goes away if I disable Vsync, not leave it enabled.

Could it be the OS? The video card? Or strangely, the screen of my laptop?
  • This problem sounds pretty unusual, and I don't really have any further suggestions about how to fix it. Since it only occurs with the Nvidia and not the Intel graphics, it suggests to me some sort of driver/hardware issue related to how the Nvidia is refreshing the screen. Do you have any external monitors to see if the same problem occurs with those, or only with the laptop's own display?
  • considering nvidea dose not make the drivers for the laptop vid cards you need to go to the manufacturer to get the latest vid drivers
  • Go to google home page. At the top of the page click images. Type in diagonal screen tearing. There are several examples. Click on most any pic and click the vist page button on the right. In almost every case it is a laptop/notebook with GTX 960M graphics. I didn't read through to look for a cure, it's early morning and I need to get to bed. Hope this helps.
  • it should help OP and thanks for the info.