old DSG savegames not converted to new format

Hi all,
this is the issue:
on my desktop PC I was using an old version of Doomsday engine (I don't remember exactly which, but a 2010 or 2011 version I think) and updated it to the most recent stable version (1.15.4.0).
So, I noticed that not all savegames were converted into new format (in Doom II and Plutonia savegames folders, there are .DSG files only, not .SAVE ones; it seems that the new version converted Ultimate Doom and TNT savegames only: in TNT savegames folder there are both .DSG and .SAVE files now).
For instance, I was playing "Plutonia 2" (with the default Plutonia wad + additional PL2.WAD), I had 4 savegames and none of them was converted so I lost my progres (I need to downgrade to play them again...)
Doom II savegames are from original Doom II (no additional Pwads) and were not converted too.
So, is there a way to manually convert them or no hope for certain files?

(I've never changed original folder path... all is default and I use frontend)

Thanks!

Gatto

Comments

• What does doomsday.out (see note at the top of this forum) say about the conversion - does it offer any hints as to why these particular savegames won't convert? We'll likely need to see a copy of the old .dsg save file(s) in question in order to investigate further.

Most versions of the old savegame format(s) can (and should) be converted automatically (as you noted). There are however a couple of cases where the converter needs a little guidance in order to do so - hence we also provide both manual conversion at runtime (from the interactive Doomsday Script console) and a separate command line savegametool (in the bin/ folder of your Doomsday install).
  • Hi,
    thanks for your answer, I don't know if it's useful, but in my Doomsday.out file I found this:
    ^ : Starting conversion of "/legacysavegames/doom1-ultimate/DoomSav5.dsg" using Savegame
        Tool
    ^ : Starting conversion of "/legacysavegames/doom1-ultimate/DoomSav6.dsg" using Savegame
        Tool
    GLFramebuffer: Texture-based framebuffer failed: [ConfigError] (GLTarget::validate)
                                                     Incomplete attachments
    Trying again without depth/stencil texture
    ^ : Color texture with unified depth/stencil renderbuffer failed: [ConfigError] (GLTarget:
    :validate) Incomplete attachments
    Trying again without stencil
    ^ : Renderer features unavailable: sky mask, lensflare depth
    ^ : Texture-based framebuffer failed: [ConfigError] (GLTarget::validate) Incomplete
                                          attachments
    Trying again without depth/stencil texture
    ^ : Color texture with unified depth/stencil renderbuffer failed: [ConfigError] (GLTarget:
    :validate) Incomplete attachments
    Trying again without stencil
    ^ : Renderer features unavailable: sky mask, lensflare depth
    SavegameConverter: Starting conversion of "/legacysavegames/doom1-ultimate/DoomSav7.dsg"
                       using Savegame Tool

Same result in Doomsday.out when looking about Plutonia or other...

So I tried the savegametool.exe (Dos prompt) too, to manual convert .DSG files (playing Plutonia + PL2.WAD): the program could generate the .SAVE files, but when I copied them to the savegame folder of Plutonia and then ran Doomsday Engine,
    no one was showed there: ("empty slot").
  • Hmm. Please submit a report to our bug tracker (linked in my signature) and attach one of those old problem savegames, so we can test the conversion and the resulting .save file in a debug environment.
  • Just submitted, I attached one of the .DSG too...
    Thanks!
  • Thanks. I'll take a look at it shortly and update that report (Issue #2119) accordingly...
  • I've just seen your comment on bug tracker... so I will wait for a fix to use the savegametool.exe, since at the moment it can't "resolve" the ambiguity ... correct?

• Yep, that is correct.

I'll be committing the fix momentarily but I'll have to arrange with skyjake to schedule the autobuilder to produce a new patch release for the current stable branch, in a day or two (maybe longer if we decide to include any other recent fixes).
  • We've tentatively scheduled a 1.15.5 (patch) release for the end of the month (2015-11-01), as there is a couple of other more minor issues we'd like to address at the same time.
  • Perfect :-)
    Now I can continue Plutonia 2 from my progress and I will wait for the next update (end of the month).
    Nice job and thanks again!