Can't deactivate lookspring

edited 2011 Jun 22 in Technical Support
I've been using the SpaceNavigator http://www.3dconnexion.com/supported-software/anywhere.html
with Doomsday 1.8.6. It works great except one problem:

The pitch is always snapping back to center (lookspring) whenever I look up or down.

I tried disabling lookspring, but that didn't seem to work. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks awesome Doom engine!

Comments

• Can you post your jdoom.cfg so we can take a look? Its very likely a configuration issue.
  • Hi, thanks for the response!

I'm a bit confused. I tried removing jdoom.cfg and jdoom-bindings.cfg in hopes that it would forget all my settings, but it still remembers them when I close then restart the application.

I deleted those from these locations:
    C:\Users\Username\Documents\Doomsday Frontend\runtime\
    (main directory)\Run\jDoom\

Is it using the registry for settings, or another file?

I tried disabling the mouse axis, but that didn't seem to fix the lookspring using the joystick.

I have the same issue with jheretic and jhexen.

I could take the jdoom.cfg out of the recycle bin and post the contents, but I'm not sure if this is the one it is using.
  • did you post your jdoom.cfg if not then we can't help you
  • edited 2011 Jun 22
    (deleted, did a reinstall , see next reply)
  • Ok I did a re-install. Starting from scratch, 1.8.6, default jdoom.cfg. Same thing.

However, I discovered something though. If I set the SpaceNavigator's Rx axis to output 'Joystick Throttle' instead of 'Joystick Rx' in the SpaceNavigator control panel, then set joystick slider1 in jdoom to look, it functions normally, except for being ultra-sensitive (difficult to aim with.)

I'm wondering why turn (yaw) works fine, but look (pitch) has these issues. Throttle axis I assume keeps sending a value, even when the user lets go of the controller. So Jdoom only maintains a non-level pitch, I assume,if it keeps having a pitch level sent to it. Is this true? If so, can it be made to work like yaw instead?

Thanks
  • If I remember correctly (this was years ago), then I had the same problem with an Axis controller I had. It would constantly be turning when it seemed straight. You may have to set the deadzone to be a little larger if I understand correctly. I'm not sure exactly how the pitch works with the SpaceNavigator, but if the problem is with the program, try to see if you can set the deadzone a little higher.
  • It doesn't appear to be a deadzone issue in this case. Using 'joystick Rx' from the SpaceNavigator nothing happens if I don't move the axis. If I move, it pitches according to how far I push the axis, but immediately after I let go it 'springs' back to level. Even if I have lookspring disabled in the gameplay menu.

Having SpaceNavigator's Rx axis output 'joystick throttle' information instead of outputting its usual 'joystick Rx' infomation via its control panel seems to work, although not very smooth.

How SpaceNavigator's 'joystick throttle' works in the game Descent is that it has the axis emulate a joystick slider (it doesn't have a physical slider.) You move the axis a bit, then let go, it keeps the 'virtual slider' in place, constantly sending the value that you left the 'virtual slider' at. 'PItch' in Doomsday seems to work with a joystick throttle, but not a regular axis which goes back to sending '0' when you let go of it.

I suppose you could think of the mouse pitch control the same way, as if the mouse movements are moving a slider, when you let go of the mouse, the slider stays put in the position you left it, and the slider keeps sending that pitch angle according to the slider's position. Same goes for the mouse turn control, except in this case the slider would be a ring that rotates around.
  • I'm not familar with this SpaceNavigator myself but try opening the in-game console (tilde ~, by default) and set the cvar "ctl-look-joy-delta 1" (it looks like the kind of device for which delta mode is needed).
  • Thanks, that works!

Now that it is working, I just need to tweek the turn speeds.

I noticed a ctl-look-speed variable. However, I couldn't find a ctl-turn-speed variable for yaw speed (and I noticed ctl-look-speed doesn't affect yaw speed.) I also noticed that player-move-speed affects both move and strafe.

Is there a turn speed variable under a different name by chance?

Thanks again for the help!