Engine support 2-sided normal?

edited 2009 Aug 10 in General
Pretty much what the title says, I'm toying with some modelling for the engine, and I'd like to know if the engine supports 2-sided normals or if I'd had create back faces as seperate elements.

Comments

• Kresjah wrote:
    Pretty much what the title says, I'm toying with some modelling for the engine, and I'd like to know if the engine supports 2-sided normals or if I'd had create back faces as seperate elements.

Normally i dont think it does, as far as i know, its beacuse its much slower to render 2 sided triangles rather than one.
  • It supports anything an MD2 model format can support (you have to save them as MD2 to use them in Doomsday - currently).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD2_(file_format)
  • Kresjah wrote:

If you notice or maybe you don't... I had what appeared to be 2-sided normals for the wings on the gargoyle/imp for jHeretic. What I did was model it and skin it, but before animating, I selected the faces that I wanted 2-sided, duplicated them; while they were still selected, I flipped the normals. As long as they're selected by your bones etc. and as long as the modeler you're using doesn't automatically delete them when faces share the same vertices, you should be good to go. Just make sure that before you do it, you have no double vertices (or else you'll have to duplicate the faces again when they're destroyed), and then duplicate them when it should be your last editing on the mesh itself. This way you don't have to go through the crap I did refixing the faces later a few times... :)

EDIT: If you're using all 2-sided faces, there's actually a Flag for that in the models that's not written in the documentation: "twosided"