Two Clipping(?) Bugs in b6.6 *UPDATE*

Running 1.9.0-b6.6 on Mac OS 10.4

While playing around in Ultimate Doom, I've encountered a few bugs worthy of note.

First, occasionally upon contact with walls, the player jumps through the wall to a nearby section of map, or sometimes into the nullspace surrounding the map. This happens randomly and infrequently, and is does not seem to be connected to any particular section of a map. It feels like a physics engine launching the player out of a solid object.

The second is much more precise, and occurs in E1M7 and E4M4. In E1M7, there is a column with a few Shotguys on top that is supposed to lower when the player passes the nearby trigger, but it does not. However, killing the Shotguys on top (through the "kill" cmd or by noclipping) will cause the column to lower. Alerting the Shotguys through noclip and causing them to move also allows the column to lower. In E4M4, there is a similar section of wall with three Pinkys on top. Here, only killing the enemies allows the wall to lower, possibly due to the larger enemies. Enemies seem to be able to handle all other lifts fine - just malfunctioning when they start out embedded in the ceiling.

Comments

• Hey, I got a possible idea about the first bug. It happened to me too, in Hexen.

Well I'll tell you what happened but it's probably no news: I started on Wastelands, killed all the enemies on the first ledge, then I went to the stairs down to the open ground between the ledges, and all of a sudden I got 'warped' to the middle of the open ground. I was running down the stairs. Now here's what I think might have happened:

http://img180.imageshack.us/i/possible.png/

In this image, you see that seam there on the texture? When you run through it at certain angles, it pushes you away from that wall while you keep on running. You keep on running forward, but momentarily you get some left speed (if you're running down the stairs). Not sure why it does so, but it does.
    However, sometimes, and that's quite rare and can only be done at certain angles I think that go more like parallel to the wall (but not entirely, or else I think it'll just not touch the wall & the seam), sometimes instead of getting pushed away, you get pushed back, even if you're running forward. It's somewhat rare, because even if I don't change my character's angle after getting bounced back, if I try to run through it again I'll not get bounced back. It's kind of difficult to do it because I don't know why it happens, I just know that running against the seam will push you away and sometimes it pushes you back. I'm thinking that when you hit the seams at a certain angle, and maybe even doing some stuff because when I got warped I wasn't aware of it so most likely I was looking around, strafing, etc... they'll give you one hell of a boost that will send you to some other part of the map (somehow ignoring collisions I guess?).

Well, that's my two cents on trying to identify the source of the problem. Bye!
  • I have found two spots where I can consistently reproduce the warping bug.

In D2 MAP18, when the player is teleported to the large room with about 7 Cacodemons and a few Pinkys/Spectres, strafe to the left. The player is ejected out of the map.

In D2 MAP20, entering the room with a staircase with a plasma gun at the top (penultimate room before the exit) at a run and scraping the right wall a little shoots the player to halfway up the staircase. Note: this may not happen the first time. The teleporter near the entrance may have to be opened first.