Starting each level with just basic weapon

edited 2013 Jan 24 in General
When I reach a new level on Heretic, the first thing I do is die to restart with just the basic weapon. I started doing this for an extra challenge after I finished the game on the hardest level and realised I still wanted to play it some more.

Is there a setting on Doomsday Engine which makes me automatically start with only the basic weapon and no items, as if I had died and restarted the level? I've had a look but can't find it but the options seem fairly comprehensive so there's a good chance I've missed it.

Comments

• There isn't.

But you can always use the level warp cheat to 'restart' a level with starting equipment.

Either type 'ENGAGExx', where xx is the episode and level number respectively.

Or open the console and type 'WARP x x', where the x's are the same as the above.
  • Cool, I never knew about the 'engageXX' cheat code :)
  • Well yeah, all the original games came with their own cheat codes, that Dday retains:

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Cheat_codes
  • I didn't know about the cheats. Thanks. I will have fun with these. <:-P
  • for doom/doom2 it's idclevXX
  • The 'suicide' command. You type that word in the console at the beginning of the level. I also like starting with just the basic weapon, and years ago when I asked how I can do this without always having to die, I was told this and I do use it. Also, after typing it once and using it, next time you want to restart, you can use the up or down arrow key to select 'suicide' in the console. That is faster and better than 'warp' and then the number and is always the same command (a word and no number that changes).
  • You could go one further and bind a key to suicide - tap and ya dead!!

bindevent key-k "suicide"

I used the 'K' key as an example as its on the other side of the keyboard, it would suck indeed to accidentally press it :(
  • I forgot about the suicide command. Doh!

Dday (unlike ZDoom) displays a confirmation asking if you really want to suicide, so accidently pressing it isn't so much of an issue.
  • Which reminds me that we need to add a 'confirm/force' argument to the suicide command to suppress the confirmation dialogue.
  • bcwood16 wrote:
    it would suck indeed to accidentally press it :(
    Unless you bind the command to a key on the far right edge of the keyboard that isn't commonly pressed, like a key on the mumberpad.