Doomsday Engine on Win98SE

edited 2012 Nov 28 in Technical Support
Hi,
I have a Win98SE computer. It's an old Gateway P4 1.8 gHz which was originally sold with Win98SE installed. I have basically cleaned it up and made sure everything works. The only "new" item added was a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card. I also installed my old Diamond Monster 3D II (Voodoo 2) for glide games.

I installed DE 1.9.9 but at the very end of the install I received an error referencing a file linked to a DLL that could not be found. Unfortunately I was not able to copy and save the details and the Win98 computer is not connected to the Internet. I tried launching the program after a reboot and got a message to look at the Snowberry log.

I also have a WinXP Pro computer and a Win7 Home Pro computer. I'm wondering if DE was not intended to be installed on Win98SE. Can I get further information please? I did a forum search on Win98 but found nothing.

Thanks

Comments

• Sorry but the Doomsday Engine no longer supports Windows 98. Maintaining support for such an old platform would have held back development on modern and much more widely used platforms, so we took the decision to discontinue support.

However, older versions of Doomsday are still available. You could try Doomsday 1.8.6 and see how you fare with that :)
  • Thank you for the reply. After posting, I found the answer on the Wiki and will be using my WinXP box. I'd rather use newer equipment if it's available. I set up the Win98SE box specifically for games that do not work anywhere else without a lot of trouble. A good example is MicroProse M1 Tank Platoon 2. There seems to be no other way to run it (and I still get to use glide!). I was not aware of ports such as the Doomsday Engine which has been a real game-changer (no pun intended).