Sapphire Wand

Comments

• Addon v 1.01 available. Some visual tweaks in HUD models + new Crystal Vial model as a bonus. ;)
  • Wow, it would be really great if you make the other pickups - mana, artifacts, keys. You are doing really amazing work. I like your models. Keep up the good work.
  • Everything is amazing however I've come upon what appears to be a graphical error with the bloodscourge.

http://i44.tinypic.com/vhqneo.png

At first I thought it was strictly in the hexen expansion but then I reverted to the original game and lo and behold it's the same. I tried different screen resolutions as well since 4/3 ratio shows more without adjusting hud.

Currently tested with same stable build the author used.

Addons on in addition to this one were jcxxp_123.pk, a hexen64 music file and an item pack. None of which should cause changes in weapons.

Thoughts?
  • TyranT wrote:
    Addons on in addition to this one were jcxxp_123.pk, a hexen64 music file and an item pack. None of which should cause changes in weapons.
    Isn't this a model pack, that includes several weapon models (abeit not Mage ones, as no Mage weapon models have ever been made before IIRC)?

One notes that the graphical bug in question actually looks like a part of the Red Globe part of the Wraithv erge Model.

One assumes that there might be a def naming conflict or it's one of the sub model bugs that possibily occured when Skyjake removed the fixed limit on them; a few bugs were introduced in the process, at least one of which won't be fixed until the next unstable build (916).
  • I went back and checked it was indeed a conflict with an item pack but not the jxccp_123 turned out to be a different one I was using.

As to the specifics of what might have caused the conflict I can only speculate at this point I might look into it at a later time.
  • This situation is precisely why the Info metadata format was introduced. When applied correctly by the add-on author(s), this information empowers the end user to dynamically manage their add-ons more easily with the frontend (which has built-in conflict resolution management features).

Hopefully veirdo will look at this some time to improve usability.
  • 2 TyranT
    There are my bloodscourge model over an old Cain's model on your image, as I see. The jxccp_123 and the pack from this thread cannot work together, as they used to replace visual of the same "things" each in their own way.
    I used to compile the jxccp_123 some time before and it already included some models from this pack, except of bloodscourge.
    Maybe now it's time to compile new jxccp_124 ;)

2 DaniJ
    Your article cannot give me any clues how to make an info file to resolve such conflicts. I would like to get a working example. And can I use that "info" file inside "all_in_one" .pk3 or only in disassembled .box?
  • All the information you need is available on the wiki (though do feel free to ask if you want something clarified or you get stuck). The addon bundle article for example describes how one would organise an .addon. If you want a working reference then take a look at the jDRP which uses them extensively.
  • Hey veirdo,

I just recently downloaded your pack, and I wanted to make a small critique:

Now, I haven't checked out everything yet, as I forgot the passwords (for now) to get all weapons. However, from the wand puff, the last frame pauses, and it looks a little unnatural, like it freezes in time for a moment. I tried to mess around with Interpolate to see if I could get an example of what I was going to show you, but I can't seem to get it to work right for some reason.

Do you know what I'm talking about, though? For instance, you could either slow the stretching down at the end, and have the last frame end at a later inter value, or perhaps have it fade out (if you even can, with the brightness and all of that applied).
  • Hi, Psychikon
    That's in current todo list for polishing. I can't get it work with fade out (Transparency parameter isn't working), so I'll do the same with scale_to_zero animation. Or with Model particles where the transparency working ok.
  • New version 1.10
    - Wand Puff animation fixed
    - Bloodscourge World Weapon with new design
    - Quartz Flask model
    - small other fixes I can't remember
  • i really love your weapons, but could you perhaps split the weapons and the items into two pk3s?
    i always use psychikons items and they collide with the one in your pk3, and the way you made it you have to use both your weapons and items or neither.

so could you perhaps split them and make 2 PK3s out of them, one with the weapon-stuffs and one with the vial and flash?
  • i really love your weapons, but could you perhaps split the weapons and the items into two pk3s?
    i always use psychikons items and they collide with the one in your pk3, and the way you made it you have to use both your weapons and items or neither.

so could you perhaps split them and make 2 PK3s out of them, one with the weapon-stuffs and one with the vial and flash?
    On the topic of additional skins if you're going to continue to produce them (which I think is wonderful) I'd recommend starting with the armors falcon shield etc, the trees on areas like shadow woods, or perhaps the fireballs that you see in the flaming pits/traps/heresiarch summons. I don't believe anyone has ever bothered to bring those up to the current standard of the texture, weapons packs and so forth. Anyway just thought I'd toss that idea out there in the event you decide to put out more additional textures. Keep up the great work!

Might be time for someone to put together a new Jxccp pack with all the latest and greatest.
  • The time of the new jXCCP will come pretty soon. It will be a .box with all existed models for Hexen to choose.
  • Just a quick note to say that I've now featured this and added the XCCP to the add-ons listing on the homepage.

Do let us know if the download location changes or you'd like some other aspect of it updated. At some point we'll have screenshots up there too.
  • That is great, DaniJ! But I think the people can be frustrated if they run XCCP and a pack from this thread simultaneously, as they are incompatible. They have different particle indexes and different relative paths. In addition this pack will grow beyond mage weapons and it's more like a sandbox for new XHD pack where only my models and textures will be present.
  • Won't Snowberry interject in such cases and present the user with the conflict resolution UI? If so I don't see this being a problem personally.
  • Addon v 1.13 available. It's really small. Only mana pack is added.
  • No matter the load order I'm finding the current 1.13 not working when used with the xccp community pack. This is on build 975. Hopefully they can be integrated together soon.

Completely forgot the new xccp is in box format and I could disable the xxxp mana, gosh I had a dumb moment :))
  • Its strange, but i can't see your models in the game.
  • Addon v 1.2 available.
    New version of the Arc Of Death World Weapon, and improved version of the Frostshards World Weapon.
    Naykin wrote:
    Its strange, but i can't see your models in the game.
    Which version of the engine you used? I suggest you to use tested version from the first message of this topic.
  • The new Arc Of Death World Weapon looks fantastic.... a huge improvement to the previous version....

can't wait to see you next wips :)
  • Naykin wrote:
    Its strange, but i can't see your models in the game.
    See this. http://dengine.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1268&hilit=fov I had the same problem with all model replacements for weapons. (except for the top of some weapons) I like to keep my fov set to 90 though, with the 16:9 ratio.

Also to reduce the scaling of the weapon, use rend-hud-offset-scale. I think the reason some might use higher fov is to achieve a similar effect.
  • Hey veirdo, how's the progress? Can't wait to see more of your models :)
  • Hi Milten! I spent some time to learn SideFX Houdini dynamic tools, as my primary software is Maya.
    I needed to gain more knowledge in that tools to create a good looking explosion effects for flechette for all three classes. There not much progress yet, but I have initial mesh animations for throwing and explosion.
    Like that. Do not treat it as a final result.
    bottle.gif
  • Ah, good luck on your task on learning them. I am not familiar with modelling, since I do not have the patience to learn it mostly.
    Even if it is not the final result, my ideas to the current animation.

IMO the liquid inside should be "water-like" instead of "slime". Maybe because it's not the final one it looks slime-like atm? A water-like liquid would make more sense to me for Cleric, that his flask explodes (or breaks) and the liquid evaporates into gas. Though I can imagine that animating all this stuff is not easy.

Anyway, keep up the good work :)

And I wanted to ask a question. For private use I wanted to make some models of yours usable for GZDoom, which worked so far. But I noticed that the Frost Shards are suddenly mirrored, that means you shoot with the left hand. Did you mirror the model in Doomsday? I checked out the model in a MD2 viewer, and there it seemed correct (from what I could see).
  • The water have less viscosity and much more details (polycount) which I can't afford to use in dday at the moment. There are wrong timing in a .gif also. All vaporizing liquid effects will be done on a particle side.
    I do not mirror any models in the engine, maybe the problem is in GZDoom md2 format reader.
  • Hey man!

You know what they did in the olden days to simulate water in these instances? They had texture particles that had fairly high gravity... You could always have those in addition to the "physical" liquid of the model to make it look as though it is less viscous! In this case, it would be a higher density of particles with not so strong of a velocity, as opposed to splattering (which could also occur) with lesser amounts of particles. Splattering with a higher amount of particles would look more like an explosion.

Does this help inspire? I certainly hope so! :D
  • Hi all!
    For a long time I did not add new models since I was busy on the main project. Also tried a new approach to creating effects for doomsday, which seems to me, is proved itself. Try a new flechette model, although work for mage class is not finished yet.
    download
  • I like the generators of the Fighters flechette explosion.

I think the Cleric's cloud generators look a little big though (i.e as if the size of the cloud is a bit too big) and I'm not convinced the un-textextured particles the centre spits off are needed at all.

I do see a small gap between the Cleric's flechette disappearing and the cloud appearing though. But that might not be possible to do anything about as HeXen is of course spawning the cloud mobj.

The actual flechette model though, looks a bit plain or at least a little brightly coloured (but I suppose some of that is due to the original mobj states being full bright).