Fast Monsters

edited 2013 Nov 3 in General
When using “-fast monsters” in the Custom options that it seems to only work in the Doom games, not Hexen or Heretic. If this is true has any thought been given to speeding up Hexen and Heretic or is the game play too different for them to make this reasonable?

Comments

• The original Heretic and HeXen had no support for -fast. This is the same in Doomsday.

Skill 5 in both games dramatically speeds up the bad guys, basically achieving the same thing (Doom sped up the bad guys and also respawned them on Skill 5; Heretic and HeXen dropped the respawning). But it does limit one to that one skill level.
  • Thanks Vermil, I did not know that about skill level 5. I think I read someplace that “-fast monsters” do the following:
    Monsters respond faster to the player, fire at twice the normal rate with twice the accuracy and more damage is done per shot.

I do not know if all of that is true or how it compares to level 5 but it defiantly makes the game more of a challenge to play.
  • Run Doomsday and enabling Fastmonsters in the console:
    game-fastmonsters 1

This allows you to to use this mode on any game difficulty setting. But remember - mode remains active forever! To disable it - you need to type in the console:
    game-fastmonsters 0

I tested in Heretic and DDay v1.10-3.
  • Hmmm. I thought that was a Doom multiplayer server option, rather than a Cvar; guess I was mistaken :p

That said, that Cvar unfortunately appears to be broken at the moment and according to the wiki, it's only suppose to be in Doom: http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?ti ... stmonsters.
  • Maybe this CVar is a very secret for Heretic and Hexen? Thus it is missing in the wiki! In any case - this CVar has been in the engine from the beginning. I see it in DDay 0.99.4 (2000) and jHeretic 0.91, just like in jHexen. And I use it sometimes - why not? In many not original Wads in which are large number of bad guys, and I do not want the skill 5 and maybe more increase their number - I only want give them a slight acceleration on skill 3!
    ;)
  • It also turns out I was somehow misreading 'libcommon' as 'libdoom', on the wiki page. Sorry.

The Cvar is suppose to work in Domm and Heretic; when it is working.
  • When using “-fast monsters” in the Custom options that it seems to only work in the Doom games, not Hexen or Heretic. If this is true has any thought been given to speeding up Hexen and Heretic or is the game play too different for them to make this reasonable?????
  • I works with Heretic, nice. It also seems to work with Hexen, though I'm not sure how much a difference it makes. I'm new to the game.