Sapphire Wand

Comments

• I'd wager that is simply intended to convey a perspective change due to "kickback/recoil".
  • DaniJ wrote:
    I'd wager that is simply intended to convey a perspective change due to "kickback/recoil".
    I agree.
  • Where have been my eyes, you're right. New package updated in the topic.
  • Very first ingame shots of HUD Frostshards. Only one mesh, without any settings.

hud_frostshards_alpha_00.png
    hud_frostshards_alpha_01.png

All other stuff already modeled and will be added after I make the hands perfect fit the sprites.
  • woah that looks amazing veirdo :D
  • Ooooh, nicely done hands!
  • edited 2012 Dec 15
    Thanks!
    I released a beta 3 version. You can find it <link truncated>
    To avoid seg. violation error I use this pack. There need to run both packs simultaneously.
    See screenshot in the topic.
  • Hey, I really like your work veirdo.

Though I have to address one thing on your Frost Shards. It's no big issue, only that the animation speed for the "hand raising" when you shoot is a bit slow. In the sprite it is a lot faster.

Beside that it looks great, keep up the good work :)
  • Indeed; the sprite hand raises quickly and then stays up for a long while before firing. While the model hand raises slowly and only stays up for a very short time.

Also, I know the sprite instantly changes from blue back to normal after a shot, but I wonder if maybe that should be replaced with a very quick fade down for the model?

A pity Dday doesn't support smooth animation between model skins (as far as I am aware Dday can't do this, yet), as this weapon would look much better with such a feature.

I wonder what it would look like if one placed some sort of generator in front of the hand, to represent the ice bolts forming as the hand light ups. But I suppose that would look strange because despite the position of the hand on screen, the bolts still come from the centre of the screen.

One would think that the Mages hand lighting up, would also light up the local surroundings; it wasn't possible with the sprite, but maybe with the model, one could try placing a dlight in front of the hand as it lights up, to achieve this?
  • When I did the animation of hands for the first time, I copied the sequence of sprites on a model frame by frame. But then I saw the result in game it makes me very sad. The hand moves like a wooden log or the broken robot. So I threw out all the work and made a new one with the first and the last frames of the sequence as a reference. There was 3 or 4 iterations before I pleased the result. Now it moves like it belongs to Raistlin from DragonLance series. Lazy and powerful! :)
    Anyway in-game timing unchanged.

About the lights. I only can add the lights to "thing" or "mobj" resources, if I don't mistaken. But the HUD weapon not belong to any of them. I only can add lights to ice projectiles.
  • Ah yes, I forgot that dlights or generators can't be added to hud elements, sprite or model, when I wrote that. A shame.

For reference, the dlight on the life chains in Heretic and HeXen are special kludges.
  • A pity Dday doesn't support smooth animation between model skins (as far as I am aware Dday can't do this, yet), as this weapon would look much better with such a feature.
    Isn't that "Model interpolation" something like that?
    There was 3 or 4 iterations before I pleased the result. Now it moves like it belongs to Raistlin from DragonLance series. Lazy and powerful! :)
    You may have a point there, though I think that animation atm doesn't fit, may just be personal preference.
    Just an idea, but could you make the hand stay up longer in the "end" position? Because I think that you see the "finger positioning" very good from the sprite state is "important". It is also what the hand made look so cool IMO, due to the way he holds his fingers.
    Also, I know the sprite instantly changes from blue back to normal after a shot, but I wonder if maybe that should be replaced with a very quick fade down for the model?
    I think how he did it for the model, it looks fine.
  • edited 2012 Dec 17
    I finished a hand model, although work on the addon is not over. There added a new frostshards projectiles. Intermediate result is here

Milten, just for you I have an alternative animation of hand with a sprite-like motion ;)
    Here it is.
    There are some issues. Because of very large difference between frames the hand cannot correctly blend and distorted. It's not a skeletal animation, it's a good old md2. Also the hand cannot coorectly blend in refire state, and clicks in animation. To fix it there only way to do a realtime animation with a defining every frame every tick. I will not do it till all the models which I plan to do will be finished.
  • You can always add more model frames and adjust the inter marks in the definitions to get it to animate smoothly.
  • Thank you, Danij. Your advice really helps me make pullback animation smoother and non-distorted. But it cannot help to do a smooth refire. The internal logic in hexen/objects.ded makes refire after the hand reached the rest position. To make refire smoother we can cheat, and make the "rest after firing" position differ with "rest from start". The system will blend animation between these frames. But we should not to do these frames of animation very different, otherwise the system will distort it in regular (non refire) pullback.
    So this is modified spite-like animation.

In the topic I updated current pack and gave it a version number 0.52
  • Milten, just for you I have an alternative animation of hand with a sprite-like motion
    You don't have to do extra work for me ;), I just wanted to point it out, because you did such a great job making the mage wand so "original-like", so I just want to help to get the other ones more like the original too - if that is what you are aiming for.

Thanks anyway, IMO that one looks better.

Glad to see anyhow that someone takes his free time to do something for this game, great work.
  • One new new model - Arc Of Death World Weapon. Pack version 0.54. See topic.
    P.S. Happy New Year!
  • really great looking models......i hope you will continue your work :)
  • Hi veirdo

Your wand model is the best! And work even in 1.8.6.

Howewer I have some issues: if set fov to 120 - I will not see bottom part of the model:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8294/hexen003.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3364/hexen004.jpg

Is it a way to move your model "forward"? If yes - could you please help me, explaining, which variables I should change in defs of your model to do this?

Thanks
  • There is a long known issue that hud weapons are set too low in anything other than 4:3 screen resolutions.
  • There is a long known issue that hud weapons are set too low in anything other than 4:3 screen resolutions.
    1) I have 4:3 screen with 1600x1200 resolution (please look to my screenshots carefully)

2) As I understand, this is low priority issue, so it will not be fixed in near releases, so better to adjust it manually - am I right?

3) Could you please give me a link to this issue in tracker?

Thanks
  • theleo_ua, you can check this link, or simply try
    rend-hud-fov-shift

variable with different values.
  • rend-hud-fov-shift
    Big thanks! It helped! Now I can enjoy your models:)
  • try using the rend-hud-fov-shift console command to raise the model. lower values raise all hud models more

EDIT: lol seems i wasnt the only one ready to post about that cvar =))
  • edited 2013 Mar 23
    HUD Arc Of Death is almost done. Still need some minor tweaks in effects parts.
  • Lighting background of hands looks really epic!
  • wow.. just, wow... thats all i could bring out when i saw that pic

that looks totally amazing, unbelievable that you managed to make such amazing-looking models and effects :D
  • Current version of the pack is 0.7. You can try it in the topic.
  • Why not have the bits of ice in the ice death FX shrink to nothing, instead of having them suddenly disappear when they get very small?

Little nitpick; the explosion radius may be a bit too big; given that it can't vary in size for each bad guy, I'd tailor it's size to the medium sized bad guys (i.e Ettin) rather than the larger sized ones (i.e the Chaos Serpent)

Also, is it just me or are there some notable jumps in the animation of the hands for the frost shards and lightning.

That said, all the models look great, though the frost shard projectiles could stand to be a slightly darker blue IMO.
  • Instead of just to do the lightning projectiles, I spent a bunch of time to add some new animations to the existing models. There are equp/unequip and idle states. Arc Of Death model also improved and very close to finished verion.
    Why not have the bits of ice in the ice death FX shrink to nothing, instead of having them suddenly disappear when they get very small?
    fixed
    the explosion radius may be a bit too big
    ice explosion all depends on original Hexen explosion. I just replaced the sprite with the model and added one particle to each bit of ice to more volumetric feel of the effect.
    frost shard projectiles could stand to be a slightly darker blue
    Me too think its too bright. That's because projectiles always fullbright, and I added to it a strong reflection. Now reflection is slightly reduced.