Keyboard Delay *(Final?)Update*

edited 2009 Sep 8 in Technical Support
I've been experiencing Keyboard delay.
Lowering the resolution seems to help, but lots of monsters nullify it.

It also seems, the longer I hold forward, the longer it keeps going forward after I let go. I hold W for 1 second and I don't go forward for about half a second and I keep moving for about 1 second, but if I hold it for 5 seconds, it seems I keep moving for 3 seconds.

I discovered this problem when I updated to deng-1.9.0-beta6.5-setup.exe
I was on deng-1.9.0-beta5.1-setup.exe with no problems
deng-1.9.0-beta6-setup.exe is the lowest version that gives me this problem(haven't tested 5.2 - 5.9)

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 12 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1999 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 134.35 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Name Realtek AC'97 Audio
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7012&SUBSYS_18911019&REV_A0\3&61AAA01&0&17

Name ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4150&SUBSYS_47221002&REV_00\4&1C526AC9&0&0008
Adapter Type ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x4150), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
Adapter Description ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES
Adapter RAM 256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)
Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.6764
INF File oem110.inf (ati2mtag_RV350 section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1280 x 1024 x 75 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32

Comments

• I'm actually having the exact same problem, with a very similar system setup, actually. Any word from the masses on this one?
  • There seems to be a lot of users with similar set ups having the exact same problem atm. In general these issues have been traced back to other processes on the system which were intercepting messages between the OS and Doomsday. These troublesome processes are typically there to provide global keyboard shortcuts or other such features and are delaying these messages unnecessarily.
    • Start Doomsday
    • Open Task Manager (Windows key+r then enter "taskmgr" (minus quotes) in the run dialog
    • Switch to Processes and systematically try terminating non-essential processes one by one, switching back to Doomsday after stopping each to see if it had any affect.

Once you know the name(s) of the troublesome processes report back :)
  • Hey all,

I'd like to put back this topic into light, for I have exactly the same problem previously mentionned by xnamkcor and secondsabre: a almost one second delay between input on keyboard and its action in the game. Please note that the mouse is not affected by this delay (haven't tried a joystick as I don't own one).

So, I tried what you advised DaniJ, which was to shut down every non-critical process until I could find the one responsible for this keyboard delay.

Unfortunately, I killed almost all of them (only 10 were remaining: Avast! antivirus and 9 others which were unkillable by Windows itself) and the problem was still active.

I have roughly the same spec as xnamkcor:
    AMD Athlon Barton 2500+
    1 Go Ram DDR
    Ati Radeon 9800 (with the latest catalyst driver: 9.8)
    Creative Audigy 2
    Windows XP SP3

I must admit that I haven't tried a previous release, I installed right away deng-1.9.0-beta6.6-setup.exe.

I can paste my doomsday.out, but there isn't any errors in it, or so it seems.

I hope that you will be able to help us, because I'd really like to try the new jHRP, which seems to be very beautiful according to the screenshots!

Thanks a lot.
  • Interesting that you happen to be using an ATI video card because neigh on every report I've seen (which described a similar problem) involved one. This leads me to think that perhaps the culprit is some ATI system tool. I wouldn't suspect a driver problem but you could try older/newer versions of your video driver too.
  • Yeah, you're probably right about the ATI card, because that is what I have in common with xnamkcor.
    And it really seems that it may involve the Radeon 9xxx series

I won't be able to test with newer drivers, as the ones I've got (Catalyst 9.8) are the most recent for legacy cards (that's how they called the Radeon 9xxx series now, lol).
    It's true that I haven't tried with older ones.

On a side note, I tried to test what xnamkcor mentionned previously: I installed deng-1.9.0-beta5.1-setup.exe to see if it was running smoothly.
    And the answer is...yes, it is! I don't have this keyboard delay problem.

Do you want me to try each beta build, just to see in which one it has appeared? It may be driver related as well, but it could help us to narrow the problem maybe.

Thanks for your answer
  • Pakito wrote:
    Do you want me to try each beta build, just to see in which one it has appeared? It may be driver related as well, but it could help us to narrow the problem maybe.
    Yes, that would certainly help us in narrowing down the likely causes.
  • Hey again,

so xnamkcor was totally right:
    deng-1.9.0-beta5.1-setup.exe runs the game very smoothly, without this keyboard delay, while deng-1.9.0-beta6-setup.exe shows the problem.
    I haven't found any other versions between those 2 (no 5.2 and so on).

So it's due to changes you made between these 2 versions. Unfortunately, I guess that there should be hundreds of them (and some that I can see, because in beta6, there's no option for choosing between Direct3D and OpenGL in display settings for instance)

After beta6, what's the graphics acceleration chosen by default? OpenGL?
    Because on a side note, I have texture corruption on the wand staff with Direct3D...

Anyway, I hope that it will help you a bit. At least, I can try and enjoy the jHRP pack, as long as I keep beta5.1.

Thanks again for your support. Don't hesitate to ask me if I can be of any help.
  • I set up Doomsday 1.9.0 Beta 6.5 and Risen3D 2.2.03 up on a friend's computer with a ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro and he's getting the same problem.
  • with beta 6 ati card no longer work due to what i think is the opengl method used witch is more geard to nvidia cards, but thats what i think.
  • Didn't realize this topic had gotten some attention recently. Sorry about the lurking.

I just wanted to jump in and mention that I have an NVidia card, a GeForce 7300 GT, so I don't think that the issue can be traced back to ATI cards/drivers, specifically. Also, I tried out a few older builds, like the previous posters, and they're right, the same issue does not occur in previous builds.

However, as another side note, I also played for a while without any add-ons (jDRP, jDUI, jDTP), and it didn't seem like the same issue was occurring. Could it be that one of the add-on packs is interacting incorrectly with the newer build?
  • Hey all,

to answer what you were suggesting, secondsabre, I tried to launch Heretic without any add-ons at all (and even then, the only add-on I want to be on is the jHRP), and the keyboard delay was still there unfortunately.
    For now, I'm playing on beta 5.1, but I'm lacking the bug correction / new features of the last updates...

Any news on this subject, Danj?

Thanks again!
  • This was reported on the newdoom forums some time ago and several people found answers to their problem. Check this thread out, specifically post 171 and those just before and after.

http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=36174&page=9
  • This was reported on the newdoom forums some time ago and several people found answers to their problem. Check this thread out, specifically post 171 and those just before and after.

http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=36174&page=9

You're a gentleman and a scholar, Bob. I'm playing on a desktop PC, so at first I didn't really think that the solution would apply to me... but then I remembered that I'm using a Microsoft keyboard... and Microsoft keyboards use a program called Intellitype (shows up as 'itype.exe' in the Task Manager). After I killed that process, the lag was gone.

So, issue resolved... kinda. I'm not sure if it counts as a bug in Doomsday, considering that it's more of a software incompatibility, but if this same kinda thing happens to all users who have a program running their extended keyboards (most laptops have one, too), then it may be an issue the team wants to look into. But that's pretty much what needs to be done!

Thanks a lot!
  • I'm glad it has solved your problem secondsabre.

to Bob:
    Unfortunately, on my system, as I explained on my second post on this topic, I killed every process I could, and this keyboard delay was still there.
    So, 2 options: either there is an unkillable process that is causing this delay, and I'll have a hard time identifying it, either it's something else (drivers? bug? hardware problem: I have a logitech Elite Keyboard?).

And furthermore, why is beta5.1 working fine when beta6 and more are not?
  • @secondsabre: Glad you're sorted - not sure if there's anything that the devs can do about that. DaniJ or skyjake are the best people to comment on that.

@Pakito: Have a look in your list of running services and see if there are any you could temporarily stop. If any of them do turn out to be contributing to the problem, please post back here for the benefit of others.
  • @Noahoscar986

Stop answering to posts/reviving threads that are roughly 10 years or more old. That's quite annoying and unnecessary.

If you have something important to say, raise a new thread and make a references to old posts where necessary.