New to Doomsday Engine - unable to host multiplayer games?

edited 2013 Jun 17 in General
Hi guys -

Just downloaded D.E. this morning after itching to play Hexen with my brother during winter break. Clearly I'm doing something wrong here, because the option to hosting games just doesn't seem available. Am I missing something or do we have to have a third dedicated server? A quick google search only proved to me that I seem to be missing the obvious. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Len
A Total Noob.

Comments

• I too don't understand this whole misery with hosting a multiplayer game. I downloaded Kickstart 5 years ago, and it had a "Host game" in the ingame menu. Now, I updated to Snowberry (with some cool new addons, like music and hi-res textures etc.), but it has only Join game. OK, I started to read and read and read, and (come on, I'm a musician!) I don't understand a word about dedicated server, and command line options etc. So what now? Should we play with the 10-year old Kickstart (we do it now...) and not use the new add-ons, or have to buy a third computer just to have a "dedicated server"? Wasn't the old system good enough for multiplayer gaming?

Please help us!!!
  • I'm not familiar with how multiplayer and dedicated servers are presently implemented else I'd try to assist.

However, from my point of view I can see that our own dedicated servers are running every day and people are playing on them. Consequently I have to draw the conclusion that it works and that the issues mentioned here are simply a matter of misconfiguration.
  • Doomsday's MP code has thus far been my responsibility. I put up a new F.A.Q. about this, hopefully it will be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1320
  • Thank you guys, I think I understand it now. I connected my desktop computer with my laptop, and it worked with dedicated server. My only question is about how to start multiple instances of Doomsday? With simply clicking start again, it didn't want to start an other copy of the game. The help recommends connecting to localhost, and it's clear for me now, but how to start Doomsday twice?

Thanks for your help (and for developing this really cool project!)
  • OK, I installed an other copy of the engine with Snowberry, and it works! Now I can start it twice, because they are two different programmes on the computer. Was this the only solution?
  • Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?
    Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed it)?