Heretic coop issue?

edited 2014 Sep 7 in Heretic
So, my brother and I tried to play Heretic: Shadow Of The Serpent Riders a few days ago in cooperative mode. No matter what, the weapons and items from deathmatch show up. We tried with two version of Doomsday, with Vavoom, and even busted out DOSBox to fire up the original. What's the deal? Is it possible to play just normal coop, as if it were single player but with two people? Or do those pesky weapons and items always show up? Kinda makes the game pointless to play like that...

Comments

• The original Doom and Heretic don't have seperate Co-op and Deathmatch flags for mobjs, only a flag that specifies a mobj as 'Multiplayer only'.

Some ports probably add options to disable MP flagged weapons in Co-op; Doomsday is not one of them (yet).

HeXen added mobj flags to control wheter a mobj appears in Single Player and/or Co-op and/or DM (and flags for each class).
  • Hrrrmmmm....

*feature request!*

Weird. I've had the game since just after it came out. I guess I never played coop with it before!
  • Vermil wrote:
    Some ports probably add options to disable MP flagged weapons in Co-op; Doomsday is not one of them (yet).
    I'm going to come back to this to correct myself (thanks random poster); I happened to look at the Doom MP GUI in the ancient Dday 1.8.6 and noticed that it had an option in it's to remove MP flagged weapons.

'Server-game-coop-noweapons 0/1'

http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?ti ... -noweapons

Hence I apologize for the above inaccuracy a couple of years ago.

Though note that it is seemingly a Doom only command; the Heretic and HeXen MP GUI's in 1.8.6 did not have this option and the wiki link above indicates it's still Doom only (i.e it's category is 'libDoom', rather than 'libCommon'). So I suppose it still doesn't help the OP, but it at least indicates Dday has the functionality there; it just needs expanding to Heretic.