Public Multiplayer Testing

123457»

Comments

• I updated the servers to today's build 332. It has fixes for psprite animations, but I haven't yet fully tested them in all games...
  • Windows build is missing in 332 due to missing includes (P_Impulse and P_BringUpWeapon).
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Windows build is missing in 332 due to missing includes (P_Impulse and P_BringUpWeapon).
    Yeah... I'll fix it.
  • My question is how far along are you guys with the testing...would like to play some people either doom, heretic, or hexen :)
  • i just finished playing heretic in mp to see if people were on and am i suppose to be seeing the hud plus the dday logo with all the weapons? before you ask i am using the latest build now i will update this thread with other games with the same symptoms.

well from my testing being there is no dm servers for hexen or heretic i have concluded that your view point not where your character is is different and it's never the same for one map to the next i think correct me if i am wrong but i will do more testing.

hereticext049.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us i know you would ask for one so here is one to show my problem and strangely enough there id no color to corvus
  • Running version 1.9.7 build #425
    I'v been trying to connect to the 2 doom2 servers running but for some reason it just hangs after I click connect.
    I have to end-task the game from that point to get back to my desktop.

It's been a little while since I'v tried the multi-player tests out in DE and I haven't kept track of all that has changed.
    Is there something new that I need to do to be able to connect to the servers?
    Shouldn't there be a soft error about it when this sort of thing happens?

Thanks
  • Mr.Rocket wrote:
    Running version 1.9.7 build #425
    I'v been trying to connect to the 2 doom2 servers running but for some reason it just hangs after I click connect.
    The "Deng Team" servers are always running the latest unstable build. Last week the network protocol was changed, preventing old clients from connecting.

Once we've eliminated the remaining multiplayer issues we can switch some/all of the public Deng Team servers to a stable release.
  • Can the names of the servers be updated to indicate that?
  • Vermil wrote:
    Can the names of the servers be updated to indicate that?
    Yeah, I'll add that to the server info...
  • skyjake wrote:
    Mr.Rocket wrote:
    Running version 1.9.7 build #425
    The "Deng Team" servers are always running the latest unstable build. Last week the network protocol was changed, preventing old clients from connecting.

Once we've eliminated the remaining multiplayer issues we can switch some/all of the public Deng Team servers to a stable release.

Ah ok, well that's explains it!
    I'll have to switch to the latest unstable version and try again. ;)

Edit: This does however bring up the issue where a wrong client version causes a hang in the program..
    Unless it just takes a really long time before functionality is restored on said wrong client version?
    ~ what happens (after clicking on a server that doesn't let you connect) is, there is no mouse control and esc does not work, forcing end-user to end-task the program/engine.

Thanks!
  • Sorry for this amateur report, if there is any instructions how to report, I will fallow it, just paste me the links:

- during 1 hour play there was few crushes of clients, returned their desktop with segmental violation (I couldn´t paste entire text data for some reason)
    - all dead players are turned to green color
    - I cannot enter map or other in-game-menus during the game play (by deffault, key H for example)
    - Only few guns are viewed in opposites gigures, like shotgun or minigun. Other weapons are viewed as fists

I also recommend, that administrare won´t circle entire doom 2 levels in DM servers, because only MAP 1, 7 and 30 are well playable as DM. Other maps are too large for good DM.
  • yannara wrote:
    - during 1 hour play there was few crushes of clients, returned their desktop with segmental violation (I couldn´t paste entire text data for some reason)
    The same information should be printed in the clients' doomsday.out files. It helps the developers if you run with the verbose messages option (-v), although unless it's a crash that can be repeated reliably the logs may not help much.
    all dead players are turned to green color
    This is a known issue.
    I cannot enter map or other in-game-menus during the game play (by deffault, key H for example)
    Are you saying those keys/bindings work in singleplayer but not in multiplayer? Did you try resetting your bindings with the defaultbindings command?
    Only few guns are viewed in opposites gigures, like shotgun or minigun. Other weapons are viewed as fists
    I added this to the list. So far we haven't done much MP testing with 3D models.
  • Ok, I could now see the stastics in multigame, I had wrong key mapped.

But now I found another bug - some players in multiplay cannot read other players text. But they can type.
  • While mastering the dedi server, I couldn´t set any items or ammos to respawn, this seems have no effect:

server-game-respawn = 1
  • Yesterday we played coop game with 4 players, and the latest joined was like a ghost. Couldn´t pick any items and monsters didn´t notice him at all.

Another question - is there any way to configure the server, that in coop mode items, ammos and weapons would respawn?
  • I haven't confirmed this; I've not tried setting up a dedicated server and the wiki lacks descriptions for all the server options (doesn't mean someone can't add them though);

server-game-respawn = 0/1: forces imediate player respawn?
    server-game-deathmatch 0/1/2; 0 = Co-op, 1 = Deathmatch 1 and 2 = Deathmatch 2?

The differences between the game modes (these are listed on the wiki and are identical to Vanilla):

In Co-op, all items, except key's and preplaced weapons permently disapear when picked up. Preplaced weapons can only be picked up once a life.

In Deathmatch 1, all items except preplaced weapons permently disapear when picked up. Preplaced weapons can only be picked up once a life. Players start with all key's and key pickups are removed from the game world (actually any mobj with a certain flag).

In Deathmatch 2, all items disapear after they are picked up but respawn a few seconds later, where they can be picked up again. Players start with all key's and key pickups are removed from the game world (actually any mobj with a certain flag).

Heretic and HeXen lack Deathmatch 2 due to being based off a version of the Doom engine prior to the mode being added (Heretic and HeXen are based off Doom 1.2 and Deathmatch 2 was added in Doom 1.5).
  • In Doom2, in coop game, at least in firts levels, weapons are placed as they would be in DM. So it means, that I can collect all types of weapons in first level. This is not like it suppose to be in original coop.
  • yannara wrote:
    In Doom2, in coop game, at least in firts levels, weapons are placed as they would be in DM. So it means, that I can collect all types of weapons in first level. This is not like it suppose to be in original coop.

You are mistaken; that is the correct behaviour. In the original Doom and Heretic, mobs can only be flagged as SP and/or MP.

To deal with this, to a degree, some ports offer an option to disable any MP flagged weapons from spawning in Co-op, somewhat like Dday has an option to disable the BFG9000 from appearing in any MP game mode.

EDIT: I've submitted an RFE for such an option; obviously it may take Deng team a long long time to get around to considering it, but at least it's there.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=542102

HeXen added seperate co-op and DM flags, which have been adopted by some ports for Doom and Heretic for port specific maps. Dday isn't one of the ports with such a feature.
  • TNT MAP30, the head shooting monsters cannot be killed, I´ve been shooting there for ages and nothing happends. We don´t miss, because mouse look is used.
  • http://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP30vf_Last_Ca ... _Evilution)#Trivia
    The head is blocked off in Deathmath on the map:

Also, unlike Doom2 and Plutonia;the Romero head is set a considerable distance back and you have to aim just above the 'brain' part of the graphic; using mouselook from the say the switch won't allow you to hit it.

Edit: these forums don't appear to support the above link properly; Hence I'll point you to this link and tell you to scroll down and click on the Map30 link: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/TNTvf_Evilution
  • You need to explicitly linkify it, Vermil:
    http://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP30vf_Last_Call_(TNTvf_Evilution)#Trivia
    [url]http://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP30vf_Last_Call_(TNTvf_Evilution)#Trivia[/url]

• Is there any way to make items respawn in coop mode? In difficult maps, with middle skill we some time have issue that our ammo just ends...
  • Other players figure not showing weapons, just fists, is the most of last bugs you have in the engine. Additionally, I noticed when a player gathers invisibility look (predator look), weapons are showed propertly.
  • All in good time. Skyjake has stated that he plans to spend some time bug fixing MP when 1.9.9 enters the candidate phase.
  • Currently it looks like MP work will have to wait until after stable 1.9.9 because of my temporary network connectivity issues after moving.