Can't play Action DooM (1, 2, or 2's 'Bonus')

edited 2012 Jun 16 in DOOM
I'm not sure if it's already known or not that Action DooM won't run in Dengine, but a search didn't turn up anything. I'm getting more or less the same error when I try to play Doom 2 with either Action DooM, Action DooM 2, or AD2's 'Bonus' content (which requires that I load AD2 simultaneously).
R_InitSpriteDefs: Invalid value, sprTemp[frame].rotate = 255.
Thread did not stop in time, forcibly killing it.

If I could find where the error logs are being saved to (someone keeps changing the location, or I've forgotten it), I'd post it.

I know AD was designed with zDoom in mind, but zDoom isn't acknowledging the AD WADS. Rather, it sees AD2's WAD, but not AD or AD2's Bonus, so naturally I turned to Doomsday.

While I'm here, I'll also mention that Strain doesn't run properly either. I loads fine, but crashes the first time I pick up an item. Example:
Loading Map "MAP01"...
Map 1: Entryway
Author: Unknown
Picked up a clip.

Application terminated due to exception:
bad allocation

Comments

• predcon wrote:
    I know AD was designed with zDoom in mind, but zDoom isn't acknowledging the AD WADS. Rather, it sees AD2's WAD, but not AD or AD2's Bonus, so naturally I turned to Doomsday.
    According to http://zdoom.org/wiki/Action_Doom , AD is a Doom 2 PWAD, so it's normal that it doesn't show up in IWAD selection window.
    Also, Doomsday can't run almost all mods made for ZDoom and probably never will.
  • I'll wait for a dev to tell me that, thanks.
  • predcon wrote:
    I'll wait for a dev to tell me that, thanks.
    That's fine, but I think they will tell u basically the same thing, because implementing ZDoom compatibility will take *huge* amount of time and result in Doomsday being a bad copy of ZDoom (because one needs to implement every quirk, as maps very often rely on outrught broken behavior). Look at Chocolate Doom and PrBoom+: it took YEARS to make them almost-compatible with vanilla (or Boom, for the later) by undoing some careless work of others. Also ZDoom mods are sometimes broken in new versions of ZDoom (and IIRC one of the Action Dooms is.)
    PROTIP: to play PWADs with ZDoom you can drag-and-drop the PWAD(s) on the ZDoom executable.
    (Make sure to select the correct IWAD in the IWAD picker window. According to the link I gave earlier, it's Doom 2 for AD1.)
  • PROTIP: Omitting two letters from "you" doesn't really save you any time, nor does it inspire faith in your expertise.

Dragging the Action DooM PWAD over the zDoom exec just launches Doom 2. It doesn't recognize the Action DooM PWAD. Action DooM 2 is a standalone, so there's no issue with that. Whomever is in charge of releasing new zDoom builds is not keeping older versions handy, so I can't really get ahold of v2.0, which is what is mentioned in the Action DooM readme.
  • predcon wrote:
    Dragging the Action DooM PWAD over the zDoom exec just launches Doom 2. It doesn't recognize the Action DooM PWAD.
    Works for me. You should probably ask on ZDoom forums.
  • Where are you keeping the WADs in relation to the zDoom exec? Which WADs are you keeping in the same folder? Which version of zDoom are you using? Which version of Action DooM and Doom 2 are you using?
  • predcon wrote:
    Where are you keeping the WADs in relation to the zDoom exec?
    In a directory pointed to by DOOMWADDIR environment variable. This allows me to omit path to the wad.
    predcon wrote:
    Which WADs are you keeping in the same folder?
    All of them are in the same folder.
    predcon wrote:
    Which version of zDoom are you using?
    GZDoom r1260. Old I know... UPD: works w/r1402 too.
    predcon wrote:
    Which version of Action DooM and Doom 2 are you using?
    Action Doom: Whatever is available on idgames. Doom2.wad: v1.9.