Switches won't activate in some Doom2 megawads

edited 2012 Jun 3 in Technical Support
Hi folks, first post here.

For a while I've been noticing a problem with some switches not activating in some megawads I've tried, as far as I can tell all switches work fine in all official releases (D1, D2, Plutonia, TNT) but some "third party" megawads have this issue to the point of the whole game becoming unplayable. These are all kinds of switches you normally encounter in the course of the game and some of them just won't activate for some reason. The doors all work fine though. I usually wouldn't pay much attention and just move on to the next megawad but I've started playing Whispers of Satan now and these unflippable switches are virtually on every map (starting on map 1 actually). I like this WAD and it's really a showstopper so I decided I'd ask. Is this a known limitation with WADs built using some sort of hacks, and is there a way around?

For the record, this is on Mac OS X, running 1.9.0 beta 6.9. I briefly tried it on 1.9.7 (which I don't like because it's too demanding for my ageing machine) but apparenty the problem persists there as well.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Whispers of Satan is a Doom II megawad that requires a Boom-compatible source port .

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ ... patibility
  • worboren wrote:
    Mac OS X, running 1.9.0 beta 6.9. I briefly tried it on 1.9.7 (which I don't like because it's too demanding for my ageing machine).
    Doomsday features extensive customization options you could use to improve performance. One of the big changes on the Mac OS platform for the 1.9.7 release was the introduction of full screen antialiasing, which can be particularly demanding on older hardware (you can disable this from the console in 1.9.8 using cvar vid-fsaa, or from the command line in earlier versions using -nofsaa).
  • Vermil wrote:
    Whispers of Satan is a Doom II megawad that requires a Boom-compatible source port .

That's right, I saw that. Is that the reason? And the next logical question: any plans for Boom support, or possible workarounds? :)
  • DaniJ wrote:
    worboren wrote:
    Mac OS X, running 1.9.0 beta 6.9. I briefly tried it on 1.9.7 (which I don't like because it's too demanding for my ageing machine).
    Doomsday features extensive customization options you could use to improve performance. One of the big changes on the Mac OS platform for the 1.9.7 release was the introduction of full screen antialiasing, which can be particularly demanding on older hardware (you can disable this from the console in 1.9.8 using cvar vid-fsaa, or from the command line in earlier versions using -nofsaa).

Thanks for the advice! I'm totally committed to upgrading to 1.9.7 (and every next version for that matter), all I'm waiting is for Apple to release Ivy Bridge iMacs, and since I'm hoping they should be out any day now I'm kind procrastinating on customizing anything on this machine :))
  • worboren wrote:
    Vermil wrote:
    Whispers of Satan is a Doom II megawad that requires a Boom-compatible source port .

That's right, I saw that. Is that the reason? And the next logical question: any plans for Boom support, or possible workarounds? :)
    Yes, that is indeed the reason why those switches do nothing.

Boom support is planned however it hasn't yet been scheduled for a particular release. I've been working toward supporting the full Boom feature set pretty much since I joined the Deng project. There is a considerable amount of work involved to do the concept justice without losing any of the audio/visual perks or compatibility with existing mods. We'll get there though :)
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Yes, that is indeed the reason why those switches do nothing.

Boom support is planned however it hasn't yet been scheduled for a particular release. I've been working toward supporting the full Boom feature set pretty much since I joined the Deng project. There is a considerable amount of work involved to do the concept justice without losing any of the audio/visual perks or compatibility with existing mods. We'll get there though :)

Cheers DaniJ, I'll be totally looking forward to it. Meanwhile, will try to stick to WADS that don't require Boom :)
    And thanks for all the hard work!
  • I'm having problems with some switches not working. I'm running the latest release (build 500) of JDoom under Windows XP. The engine runs great, it's just that some switches will not work. Anybody know why this is? Is there a fix for this?
  • MODified E wrote:
    I'm having problems with some switches not working. I'm running the latest release (build 500) of JDoom under Windows XP. The engine runs great, it's just that some switches will not work. Anybody know why this is? Is there a fix for this?
    What switches?
  • I wonder if it is related to the problem I had in map 25 of Armadosia a while back where certain walls wouldn't open and certain pillars wouldn't rise and pressing a switch for a wall door to open didn't do anything.
  • gary wrote:
    I wonder if it is related to the problem I had in map 25 of Armadosia a while back where certain walls wouldn't open and certain pillars wouldn't rise and pressing a switch for a wall door to open didn't do anything.

At the time, I said it was behavior ZDoom changed, but if the claims of the wads txt files are true; that the wad worked on Doom Legacy, that might indicate it was a behavioral change Boom made to Vanilla Doom that by extension is also in ZDoom.

Note that as well as adding new editing features, Boom also changed some basic game behavior.

The state of Doom ports cross compatibility is a real mess; You've got Vanilla Doom behavior, Boom behavior, behavior, ZDoom behavior and others etc etc. Long before we even get to port specific modding features.