Cannot use keyboard in-game (as intended)

edited 2012 Apr 28 in Technical Support
Hi!

Got this problem that when I launch a game (Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom: Plutonia or Final Doom: TNT) the game starts as usual but at the in-game menu it doesn't respond to return or arrows, only shurtcuts, like 'o' selects 'Options', although I cannot press enter so I'm stuck there.

Any thought?

I've got Windows 7 64-bit and this problem has never occurred before. :-S

Comments

• What version of Doomsday do you use? Have you installed it over an old version?
  • 1.9.8. I know, it's not a final release.
    No, I have not installed it over an older version.
  • Have you tried resetting your control bindings? Open the console and enter the following:
    clearbindings; defaultbindings

• DaniJ wrote:
    Have you tried resetting your control bindings? Open the console and enter the following:
    clearbindings; defaultbindings

That didn't make any difference, I'm afraid. :-(
  • I had the same issue a few weeks ago. I believe I resolved the problem by deleting my configuration files. Not exactly an elegant solution, but it did the trick.

Your config files should be located here; [username] > My Documents > Doomsday Frontend > Conf

Delete the contents of that folder (be sure to back up your configuration files first!) and then try restarting Doomsday. New configuration files will be created automatically, and in theory, the issue should be resolved.

:)
  • Urizen wrote:
    I had the same issue a few weeks ago. I believe I resolved the problem by deleting my configuration files. Not exactly an elegant solution, but it did the trick.

Your config files should be located here; [username] > My Documents > Doomsday Frontend > Conf

Delete the contents of that folder (be sure to back up your configuration files first!) and then try restarting Doomsday. New configuration files will be created automatically, and in theory, the issue should be resolved.

:)
    Hi! Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately, not only didn't it resolve the issue, it didn't recreate the configuration files either. :-(
  • prplxr wrote:
    not only didn't it resolve the issue, it didn't recreate the configuration files either. :-(
    Doh. Oh well, at least my awful advice didn't end up destroying your computer too.

duncecap.jpg

:|
  • Sorry if I came across as ungrateful. My English isn't as good as I would like it to be. Your advice was absolutely not awful!

Any other advice?
  • It seems that Dani and some others forgot what was brought up about pressing Alt+tab twice, once to unfocus the game window and a second time to refocus the window, and it will make the keys work, and it does work if one does this. Also, the latest builds shouldn't have this problem anyways since it has been fixed. Not sure if the command console button is still broken though... Just trested the lastest build and the console button is still broken. Fixing that should be priority #1 since that is very serious if I cannot bring up the console.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1031#p6790
    DaniJ wrote:
    I'm currently looking into the cause of this issue but in the mean time, Windows users may simply alt+tab out and then back to Doomsday and the keyboard will work as expected.

I wonder why Dani didn't bring that up in this thread.

Also, I said a few posts down in that thread:
    gary wrote:
    Seems the latest build fixed the keyboard problem, as anticipated by a dev when looking at the to-do list (#472). Confirmation has been achieved.

However, the console button is still broken.

Why not try a build that is #472 or newer? That also should have been brought up in this thread.
  • gary wrote:
    It seems that Dani and some others forgot what was brought up about pressing Alt+tab twice, once to unfocus the game window and a second time to refocus the window, and it will make the keys work, and it does work if one does this. Also, the latest builds shouldn't have this problem anyways since it has been fixed. Not sure if the command console button is still broken though... Just trested the lastest build and the console button is still broken. Fixing that should be priority #1 since that is very serious if I cannot bring up the console.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1031#p6790
    DaniJ wrote:
    I'm currently looking into the cause of this issue but in the mean time, Windows users may simply alt+tab out and then back to Doomsday and the keyboard will work as expected.

Unfortunately, that didn't do the trick either.
    gary wrote:
    Also, I said a few posts down in that thread:
    gary wrote:
    Seems the latest build fixed the keyboard problem, as anticipated by a dev when looking at the to-do list (#472). Confirmation has been achieved.

However, the console button is still broken.

Why not try a build that is #472 or newer? That also should have been brought up in this thread.
    I will look into that! Thank you very much for your reply! :D
  • gary wrote:
    DaniJ wrote:

That issue has been dealt with, the keyboard is once again fully working in the latest build. I didn't bring it up because I assumed that it was the latest version being discussed (there has still been no indication of the build number prplxr is using).
    Not sure if the command console button is still broken though... Just trested the lastest build and the console button is still broken. Fixing that should be priority #1 since that is very serious if I cannot bring up the console.
    The console opens fine for me. Perhaps you need to set the console activation key again? (you can do that via the control panel).
  • DaniJ wrote:
    gary wrote:
    Not sure if the command console button is still broken though... Just trested the lastest build and the console button is still broken. Fixing that should be priority #1 since that is very serious if I cannot bring up the console.
    The console opens fine for me...
    I haven't noticed anything broken with the console button either. Remember that it is configured using the con-key-activate cvar (or in the control panel); there is no binding for it. This is because the console has to be always available even though all bindings have been deleted.
  • prplxr wrote:
    Got this problem that when I launch a game (Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom: Plutonia or Final Doom: TNT) the game starts as usual but at the in-game menu it doesn't respond to return or arrows, only shurtcuts, like 'o' selects 'Options', although I cannot press enter so I'm stuck there.

Any thought?

I've got Windows 7 64-bit and this problem has never occurred before. :-S
    So if you open the console, you can type stuff normally? What about moving the cursor in the console, for instance with the Left and Right arrow keys?

What language settings are you using in Windows? (UI language, keyboard layout?)
  • I installed build #476, but the problem still remains. :-/
  • skyjake wrote:
    So if you open the console, you can type stuff normally? What about moving the cursor in the console, for instance with the Left and Right arrow keys?

What language settings are you using in Windows? (UI language, keyboard layout?)
    I couldn't open the console either. I'm using Windows in English and have a Swedish QWERTY keyboard.
  • I changed the activation key by pressing the ` button next to 1, which was the one that always was used before, and now it works. It said 'tilde' whatever that is and I thought it always said 'tilde'. I wondered if it had something to do with the activation key. Now it says 'apostrophe' which I don't recall it ever saying before, but the original button for the console, which is an apostrophe, works now.

Thanks, Dani. It is working now.
  • ya it had changed as i found out by rebinding it to what it already was. lol
  • Ah yes, skyjake fixed some issues with the input keycode conversion on Windows for the 1.9.8 release. Perhaps there was a mismatch with the keycode used for the tilde. We'll mention this in the upgrade section of the release notes.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Ah yes, skyjake fixed some issues with the input keycode conversion on Windows for the 1.9.8 release. Perhaps there was a mismatch with the keycode used for the tilde. We'll mention this in the upgrade section of the release notes.
    DaniJ, you should double-check the key mapping table in keycode.cpp. It is entirely possible that the Tilde key's mapping was changed inadvertently as I've been developing this on a virtual Windows machine on the Mac -- my keyboard is probably mapped differently than on a native system.
  • I personally am having no issues with the keyboard controls functioning, since the keyboard input issues where claimed fixed; for me it's bound correctly to tilde by default.

I use Windows XP set to English language with an English QWERTY keyboard, so I have to create a new config with every build (or copy across one from an old build).

I say the later because IIRC, Dday on newer versions of Windows, stores the config files in a Windows folder and all builds on ones computer use that config file.
  • I wonder how long it will be before most or all people have dropped win XP in favor of 7. I wonder why people are still using XP. That is 10 years old. I used it until 2009 when I got win7. Lucky I never got Vista.
  • gary wrote:
    I wonder how long it will be before most or all people have dropped win XP in favor of 7. I wonder why people are still using XP. That is 10 years old.
    It still works - drivers for it are released, programs work. Besides, every version of an OS is more bloated than the previous one.
  • @Noahoscar986

Stop answering to posts/reviving threads that are roughly 10 years or more old. That's quite annoying and unnecessary.

If you have something important to say, raise a new thread and make a references to old posts where necessary.