Some compilation packs

edited 2017 Mar 5 in Addons for DOOM
Hi all,
I'm posting this hoping to be helpful to somebody. I've compiled some rsource packages for jdoom/jheretic 1.9.0. All credits go to the respective authors, mine has only been a job of repackaging to have in few single packages all the best resources one can gather. So here it goes:

"jhrp+psy-20100928.pk3" [ http://www.filefront.com/17328700/jhrppsy-20100928.pk3/ ] is the latest jHeretic Resource Pack 1.01, with the addition of Cain's models and the latest Psychikon improvements: Gargoyle, Wand (ammo and HUD) and menu-skull. All credit to them

"jdep-all-slide-skyboxes-20100401.pk3" [ http://www.filefront.com/17328714/jdep-all-slide-skyboxes-20100401.pk3/ ] is basically a single package that contains all slide-skiboxes by DaniJ, KuriKai, Slide in one single pack. It matches the right ski-boxes with the respective games (Doom1/Doom2/FinalDoom), like it was with the original JDEP.

"jdui-20100928+statusbar+face11.pk3" [ http://www.filefront.com/17328745/jdui-20080614statusbarface11.pk3/ ] is based on JDoom User Interface Pack and includes the hi-res HUD face v1.1 by Mr.Rocket with cleanup work by Searinox. This version also fixes the status bar that didn't display correcly in jDoom 1.9.0.

"jdrp101+11a+fixes.pk3" [ http://www.filefront.com/17328814/jdrp10111afixes.pk3/ ] is a compilation of DaniJ's jDoom Resource Pack 1.01, and contains all new completed models by DaniJ's jDRP 1.1alpha, except these incomple packs: GUI, StatusBar, Font, LostSoul, Spectre, Deamon. In addition, the following changes have been applied: HUD-Chainsaw has skins from Abbs pack with yellow glove; HUD SuperShotgun from 1.1alpha has been fixed to implement shot flashes and gun lowering in the ded file; BFG and Chaingun pickups have skins from Abbs pack; FormerCommando has Chaingun skins from Abbs pack; Imp and Demon monsters have filtered skins in PNG, and Demon's md2 and ded are from 1.1alpha with transparency for the Spectre, so therefore the Spectre is not included; BFG and Plasma explosion effects from Abbs.

I hope not to hurt the sensitivity of the original authors, again all credits to them, I just wished to provide a "rational", easy-to-use compilation of the respective resource packs.

Comments

• Can I take it that you consider this the best of the best as far as what's available at this point in time? I'm really excited with what Psychikon has done and I hope that he will tackle some of the others, especially in Hexen (my favorite of all favorites) the Imp and Gargoyle have a smoothness flowing motion not present in some of the other models. As I said, Hexen is my fav of all and I think the gameplay can have the same feel without the robotic walks and actions of some of the present models. The engine can certainly support some smoother walking/action and I think with the right models Hexen is very close to being a modern type fps. I just wish the multiplayer could get fixed.
  • PostFatal wrote:
    Can I take it that you consider this the best of the best as far as what's available at this point in time? I'm really excited with what Psychikon has done and I hope that he will tackle some of the others, especially in Hexen (my favorite of all favorites) the Imp and Gargoyle have a smoothness flowing motion not present in some of the other models. As I said, Hexen is my fav of all and I think the gameplay can have the same feel without the robotic walks and actions of some of the present models. The engine can certainly support some smoother walking/action and I think with the right models Hexen is very close to being a modern type fps. I just wish the multiplayer could get fixed.

This may come relatively later... What is being worked on currently is items and effects at the moment. You can expect a release fairly soon, but it just depends!
  • Here's another pack: http://www.filefront.com/17353550/Doom64HD+Outcast_1714.7z

I think this is the best package I managed to build for Doom64 Absolution. This pack comes with everything you need. You only have to add DOOM2.WAD in the "data\doom64" folder and run one of the included bat

Main features:
      - the most up to date Doomsday engine (1.7.14 - see below for the explanation); - the most reacent Doom64.dll that comes witn the Outcast Levels; - the additional Outcast and Redemption-Denied levels; - the Doom64 HiRes Weapon Pack v2.0, by Hellbound Hillbilly; - the Doom64 Outcast HD stuff gathered by PimpUigi

Obviously all credits go to the respective authors.
    The original and final Doom64 Absolution.exe engine had terrible chopping sound. Therefore I set out to find a more recent version of the Doomsday engine that worked with the Doom64 TC, but soon realized that the quest for upgrading the Doomsday.exe engine with the Doom64 TC was daunting to say the least.
    Some versions, notably 1.7.8, 1.7.9, pop-up an error when loading: "The ordinal 238 could not be located in the dynamic link library". Other versions, 1.8.0, simply exit with a violation error. Yet, some other versions, 1.8.2, 1.8.6 seem to load fine but then during gameplay input keys fail to respond.

After many trials and error, the best and most recent version that works fine is the 1.7.14. The steps to make it work with the Doom64 TC were:
      1- extract Doomsday 1.7.14; 2- extract in a differen t folder Doom64 Absolution; 3- copy Doom64.dll into the Bin folder of 1.7.14; 4- open Doom64.dll with a Hex editor and search the string "ABSOLUTION.EXE", replace it with the string "DOOMSDAY.EXE 0x00 0x00" (the two zeros are to pad the remaining characters).
  • edited 2010 Oct 8
    Superb idea! However, I get this error when I try to add "jhrp+psy-20100928.pk3" to the addons in Snowberry (Doomsday Beta 9; Snowberry 1.2):

"There was an error in the metadata entry of the addon jhrp+psy-20100928-pk3, in the file C:\DoomsdayBeta9\snowberry\addons\jhrp+psy-20100928.pk3."

Any idea why this is?
  • I am happy to see a pk3 version of jDRP at last. In folder form it stuck like a sore thumb.
  • Its supposed to be in "folder form" because its much more flexible than a single huge PK3 - oh well, can't please everyone :)
  • Does nobody know what that error means that I listed above?
  • Sounds to me like Snowberry is failing to parse the Info file in that mod. Check for syntax errors and make sure the file is named correctly.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Sounds to me like Snowberry is failing to parse the Info file in that mod. Check for syntax errors and make sure the file is named correctly.

Yup, you are right. It was the Info file. I fixed it. :)

Thanks.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Sounds to me like Snowberry is failing to parse the Info file in that mod. Check for syntax errors and make sure the file is named correctly.

Yup, you are right. It was the Info file. I fixed it. :)

Thanks.

I'm sorry for the error in the Info, I've never checked that since I don't use snowberry. Can you post what needs to be modified so I can correct the mistake. Thanx
  • Problem with this pack. Doom 2 map 32 there is a lot of lag, also the start of map 30 in TNT -- I think those torches put a lot more strain on the game than they should.
  • Searinox wrote:
    Problem with this pack. Doom 2 map 32 there is a lot of lag, also the start of map 30 in TNT -- I think those torches put a lot more strain on the game than they should.

can you identify the source of the lag in map 32? Is it related to the torches? If so I could revert them to JDRP 1.01 instead of 1.1 alpha. I think you're referring to model "L-TallTorch" in "Decor" folder, right? or is it L-Candle, L-FireStick, L-MediumLamp, L-Small-Lamp, or all of the above?
  • kingennio wrote:
    Searinox wrote:
    Problem with this pack. Doom 2 map 32 there is a lot of lag, also the start of map 30 in TNT -- I think those torches put a lot more strain on the game than they should.

can you identify the source of the lag in map 32? Is it related to the torches? If so I could revert them to JDRP 1.01 instead of 1.1 alpha. I think you're referring to model "L-TallTorch" in "Decor" folder, right? or is it L-Candle, L-FireStick, L-MediumLamp, L-Small-Lamp, or all of the above?
    I have identified it. It's not the torces actually...

Immediately after going through the first door there is a ceiling with many red lights on it. When you disable all textures you will be able to see those red lightsources clearly. There are simply too many of them, since there's one for every light lamp there can be some 50 in view at once. To fix this, you must disable decorations in Graphics -> Lights.
  • Searinox wrote:
    I have identified it. It's not the torces actually...

Immediately after going through the first door there is a ceiling with many red lights on it. When you disable all textures you will be able to see those red lightsources clearly. There are simply too many of them, since there's one for every light lamp there can be some 50 in view at once. To fix this, you must disable decorations in Graphics -> Lights.

Searinox, do you think it's related to the 1.1 decor models or the same issue can be reproduced with standard JRDP 1.01? Thanx
  • I know for sure that it can't. I've been using the standard jDRP 1.01 for weeks and it never had any sort of lag in M32. The package you posted here adds an actual light effect to all the lights on that particular type of ceiling texture. This is normally okay, for example in M27 monster condo, where some walls have lights on them it adds a nice glow effect, making the light seem real, not just painted onto a texture.

The problem is that this particular ceiling tile simply has A LOT of lights on it. In view there's some 100 ceiling lights showing at once, and if every one of those is given its own glow it produces massive lag. So while adding light effects to decors painted on textures is indeed a good idea, doing that with this particular ceiling is not.
  • Searinox wrote:
    The problem is that this particular ceiling tile simply has A LOT of lights on it. In view there's some 100 ceiling lights showing at once, and if every one of those is given its own glow it produces massive lag. So while adding light effects to decors painted on textures is indeed a good idea, doing that with this particular ceiling is not.

Then I reckon the problem might be fixed by changing something in the file "jDRP-DecorLights.ded" ? I'm not an expert, maybe DaniJ, who's the author of the 1.1 alpha models, has some insights onto this?
  • I'm no expert on it either, but yes it could be fixed by disabling decor spotlights on the M32 ceiling, or at least turning them into a single light instead of a hundred individual lights.
  • These packs should be uploaded to the addons page to make sure they are not lost. They could be replacements to the original packs. I was able to get the fixed version of JDRP to work with Tea Monster's cacodemon and the fireballs that come from the fixed JDRP will work by copying them into the caco folder. But in order to get the Tea Monster caco to work without conflicting with the fixed JDRP caco, I had to extract the entire defs folder from the pk3 to the defs folder under Doomsday and do the same with the data folder instead of having the pk3 in the addons folder, then go in and remove the original cacodemon folder and def and paste what I needed. Creating a JDRP.box didn't work and made no models appear. I didn't have much luck when I put Tea Monster's caco in a remade pk3 archive that I created, but maybe because I named the folders wrong and changed the def name to say M-Cacodemon instead of keeping it as caco.

There are still some models that need done, but this is much better than it was. I hope the arch vile was improved. I looked at its maps in the folder but I can't tell if it was improved upon.

Edit: Ok, I redid it and created a new pack for myself that is just like the fixed jdrp pack except it is using Tea Monster's cacodemon instead of the fixed jdrp version of the caco.
  • I have removed light effects for TLITE6_5 aka the M32 ceiling lights. Here is the modified package.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jgu2nspae7d52an

Decoration glow effects can now be fully enjoyed without having to lag on M32. If you do not manage to archive this file before it expires, I will be making periodic visits here and re-uploading it.
  • great job Searinox! perhaps you could even post the updated "decor-light-ded" file, so people can patch the previous version without re-downloading the whole pack.
  • Think you can make a pack with only the models for the weapons and items? I'd like to keep the enemies as sprites, high res enemy sprites if possible.
  • kingennio wrote:
    "jdrp101+11a+fixes.pk3" [ http://www.filefront.com/17328814/jdrp10111afixes.pk3/ ] is a compilation of DaniJ's jDoom Resource Pack 1.01, and contains all new completed models by DaniJ's jDRP 1.1alpha, except these incomple packs: GUI, StatusBar, Font, LostSoul, Spectre, Deamon. In addition, the following changes have been applied: HUD-Chainsaw has skins from Abbs pack with yellow glove; HUD SuperShotgun from 1.1alpha has been fixed to implement shot flashes and gun lowering in the ded file; BFG and Chaingun pickups have skins from Abbs pack; FormerCommando has Chaingun skins from Abbs pack; Imp and Demon monsters have filtered skins in PNG, and Demon's md2 and ded are from 1.1alpha with transparency for the Spectre, so therefore the Spectre is not included; BFG and Plasma explosion effects from Abbs.

I've just been recommended to try this and I have to say it rocks; thanks! It'd be great if we could be offered this as an alternative on the add-ons page. Thanks for your work in compiling it and, of course, the hard work of all of those model authors.
  • Awesome work. When engine supports new models format? This game need awesome models with bump, specular and shading :)
  • Doomsday doesn't currently support normal maps. They will include support sometime after 1.9.7.
  • tried the doom64 compilation in 4th post of this thread, and i must it totally kicks ass :D

never had doom64 myself so i had no idea how cool it was. i had looked it up often before and read up about how different monsters were and such, but its a totally different game.

expected the levels would be the same but just with new monsters, so i was surprised to find new levels, which all look totally kick-ass, and its cool that the levels are more advanced build then the original doom levels for doom for pc, with all the props and seperate switched instead of being a wall texture and shooting wall-plates and such.

but the most kick-ass i find the true3d structures of the levels with the bridges and such :D
    didnt know something like that was actually possible in a doom engine :-O

must say it the doom64 TC totally rocks, and big thanx for whoever compiled it, never had the original and this is as close as its gonna get to playing the actual doom64 for me :)

had looked doom64TCs up before but never found any which were so complete, or better, ones which i even managed to get working =))

so huge thanx to the uploader for uploading his compiled doomsday with doom64 TC :D
  • that would be me, thanks for your kind comments
  • So this Outcast addon is only HD resolution of weps and other stuff?
  • I thought it was just 7 extra levels to the Doom 64 for Doosmday but no graphical enhancements but with a few new monsters added. I played it back in 2006. Also the skies don't move in Doom 64 for Doomsday.
  • Oh thx gary cuz i didnt know totally what the hell is that Outcast ^^ thx for explanation :P
  • The link was down - 403 forbidden. Does anyone have this pack? If yes, can you give a new link?