Beta 4 Release In Progress

edited 2006 May 31 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>skyjake</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the categories: Beta 4, Mac OS X, Releases, SourceForge, Unix/Linux, Version 1.9, Windows.</i>

I have now tagged the Beta 4 release as <tt>/tags/1.9.0-beta4.0</tt>. Out of the tagged files, I have run the Windows build and release scripts to generate the setup executable and the Win32 source package. I have also run my OS X release scripts and generated a disk image containing the engine, the games, and Snowberry. The Windows packages and the OS X package are now available on SourceForge.

What we are missing is the Unix .tar.gz release package. Yagisan, can you handle that? I have given you file release permissions for the deng project on SourceForge. Create a release called "1.9.0-beta4" of the "Source Code" package and upload the .tar.gz there.

Comments

• 1.9.0-beta4 source + md5sums have been released. As a convience to *NIX users, I rolled a tar.gz of snowberry from <code>/tags/1.9.0-beta4.0</code> and placed it + md5ums as part of the beta4 release. I did a test download, made sure md5sums match, and did a test build (snowberry minimally tested). Now to update Ubuntu packages :)
  • Great, thanks!
  • I guess we are ready to make an offical announcement on the release of Beta4 at the forums? Do you want to do that skyjake?

I'll continue on with updating the detailed documentation for DEW over the course of this evening.
  • Just some quick notes about the release on Win32 using the binaries from SourceForge:
    <ul>
    <li>The destination folder automatically chosen by the installer is "\Doomsday190-beta3" instead of "\Doomsday190-beta4".</li>
    <li>Doomsday.PK3 is reported as not found because it doesn't get installed, the seperate physical directories are created with all the required files so this isn't a problem.</li>
    </ul>
    Not worth fixing and re-releasing I dont think... just FYI.
  • <blockquote>The destination folder automatically chosen by the installer is "\Doomsday190-beta3" instead of "\Doomsday190-beta4".</blockquote> I don't see a default installation folder in setup.iss... Maybe that's the folder you previously installed to?

<blockquote>Doomsday.PK3 is reported as not found because it doesn't get installed, the seperate physical directories are created with all the required files so this isn't a problem.</blockquote> Oh yeah. Completely forgot about that. Is there a script for creating Doomsday.pk3? It could be added to vcbuild.bat as an extra build target. It could use WinRAR, WinZIP's command line tools, or some other command line zip tool.

I wonder if there's any way to write a platform-independent script for creating pk3s? I recall Python has Zip support. We could try using that...
  • <blockquote>I don't see a default installation folder in setup.iss... Maybe that's the folder you previously installed to?</blockquote>Ah I see. I didn't realize it worked like that.
    <blockquote>Oh yeah. Completely forgot about that. Is there a script for creating Doomsday.pk3?</blockquote>Not currently.
    <blockquote>I wonder if there's any way to write a platform-independent script for creating pk3s? I recall Python has Zip support. We could try using that...</blockquote>That sounds like the best solution if possible.
  • <blockquote>I guess we are ready to make an offical announcement on the release of Beta4 at the forums? </blockquote> Yes, everything seems to be in order.
  • <blockquote>I wonder if there's any way to write a platform-independent script for creating pk3s? I recall Python has Zip support. We could try using that... </blockquote> I'll take care of that with the new autotools system. I stuck a very very preliminary version in configure.ac (uses Info-zip, which IIRC is based on zlib)
  • <i>This comment was posted by dengDevs user <b>Layne</b>.</i>

I just wanted to add that the latest source release compiles cleanly on fedora core 5. I have not tested snowberry at this time. If you all are interested I could probably make an RPM release.
  • Layne, If you are willing to take on the role as fedora maintainer that is great. I would like you to co-ordinate that with myself, as there are *nix distro specifcs that are not in svn that we need to take care of.
  • <i>This comment was posted by dengDevs user <b>Layne</b>.</i>

That would be great. I'm working on assembling a dedicated testing box at the moment that will allow me to test doomsday in fedora(rpm's), ubuntu(to help testing), pc-bsd (should allow me to get doomsday in to ports if it is requested as well make an easy *.pbi installer for pc-bsd) and what ever else is requested.
  • Excellent. I'll blog soon with some guidelines for packagers, and begin documenting it. Thank you for helping with deng Layne, and I look forward to assisting you with packaging deng for fedora.
  • I pinged the Gentoo guys via their security bug so a fixed version should end up there soon. Ubuntu packages were built for amd64 and i386, and have synced to all my mirrors by now.