Subversion Migration

edited 2006 Feb 27 in Developers
<i>This post was originally made by <b>skyjake</b> on the dengDevs blog. It was posted under the category: SourceForge.</i>

Now that SourceForge also supports Subversion as a version control system, we should migrate the existing CVS repository to Subversion. SVN is much more advanced than CVS, so we'll be able to move and rename files and directories freely without causing problems. Also, tag and branch handling is much more straightforward.

I suggest the following plan:
<ol>
<li>Study the SVN Red Book, if you are not familiar with SVN. In practice, using SVN is very similar to CVS.</li>
<li>Get a suitable SVN client, such as TortoiseSVN.</li>
<li>Make sure all changes have been committed to the CVS repository. Danij, let me know when you have committed all your changes.</li>
<li>I will issue the migration using SF.net Project Admin pages.</li>
<li>I will configure commit notification emails to be sent to the deng-devel mailing list.</li>
<li>Development can continue as before in the 1.9.0 branch.</li>
</ol>

Comments

• Excellent.

I have a fair bit of updating to do (not done so in about a week) with a fair amount of changes (some non-trival).

I'll finish tidying up what I've been working on and start commiting to CVS after lunch.

Skyjake, do you have much time to work on Doomsday today?
  • Not really. I am trying to finish up that paper today.
  • I've now finished committing all my changes to the CVS.

Now, I think I'll go get some coffee and sit down with the SVN Red Book for a while.
  • I have now requested the Subversion migration. It should take a few hours for the script to complete. Then we'll see if everything is still intact. :)

BTW, I hope you didn't have any changes to Snowberry that haven't been commited, Snowberry being also in the same repository.
  • <blockquote>I have now requested the Subversion migration. It should take a few hours for the script to complete. Then we'll see if everything is still intact.</blockquote>
    Excellent. I'm busy setting myself up with TortoiseSVN so once that is done - I'll checkout from the 1.9.0-branch with SVN and try to compile everything.
    <blockquote>BTW, I hope you didn't have any changes to Snowberry that haven't been commited, Snowberry being also in the same repository.</blockquote>
    No I didn't.

I don't have any idea how Snowberry works - I've not even looked at the source yet. All I know is that it has been developed in Python and utilizing wxWidgets :)