(Solved) Running Doomsday with Direct3D without kickstart

edited 2011 Mar 15 in Technical Support
I am currently working on a mod and am trying to test some md2 models. I am using Doomsday 1.8.6. The problem I'm having is that for some reason I am unable to use the OpenGL renderer. Direct3D works just fine when I select it in kickstart 2 but trying to use OpenGL through kickstart crashes while loading the game. I am also unable to run the latest beta version of Doomsday and I noticed that there was no option for Direct3D which leads me to believe that it is trying to render with OpenGL by default (which is probably a problem for a different thread).

I am using Windows XP sp2 with DirectX 9. I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 and I have this driver which supports OpenGL and is the latest driver. I have tried doing a clean install of the driver and it is still not working. I had this same problem with an older driver.

Anyways, I have created a batch file with the command "-allowsoftware" which allows me to use OpenGL in software mode which is just not an acceptable way to test my models.

Is there a command I can add to the batch file to test these models while rendering with Direct3D?

If not, is there another way to test these while rendering with Direct3D?

Comments

• is there perhaps a setting in the options of the driver that might work as i have an nvidia card and it works fine.
  • Not sure. I tried a bunch of random combinations of things with a "program settings" for jdoom but there are so many combinations of things that I mostly just messed with things I didn't understand like "Threaded Optimization".
  • NiuHaka wrote:
    I am currently working on a mod and am trying to test some md2 models. I am using Doomsday 1.8.6. The problem I'm having is that for some reason I am unable to use the OpenGL renderer. Direct3D works just fine when I select it in kickstart 2 but trying to use OpenGL through kickstart crashes while loading the game. I am also unable to run the latest beta version of Doomsday and I noticed that there was no option for Direct3D which leads me to believe that it is trying to render with OpenGL by default (which is probably a problem for a different thread).

Anyways, I have created a batch file with the command "-allowsoftware" which allows me to use OpenGL in software mode which is just not an acceptable way to test my models.

Is there a command I can add to the batch file to test these models while rendering with Direct3D?

If not, is there another way to test these while rendering with Direct3D?

Direct3D renderer was removed at some point in 1.9.x versions.
    I don't understand you: is there any difference in using models with D3D or OpenGL renderers (in 1.8.6)?
    Also, as Doomsday crashes, you probably should provide doomsday.out, as explained in this thread, so as to make things easier to DaniJ and skyjake.
  • Yes a copy of your doomsday.out log would be helpful. Please run Doomsday again adding "-v -v" (without the quotes) to the command line and then attach the resultant log file here in this thread.
  • reg wrote:
    Direct3D renderer was removed at some point in 1.9.x versions.
    I don't understand you: is there any difference in using models with D3D or OpenGL renderers (in 1.8.6)?
    Also, as Doomsday crashes, you probably should provide doomsday.out, as explained in this thread, so as to make things easier to DaniJ and skyjake.

No there is no difference. The problem is that my computer isn't liking OpenGL so it is impossible for me to test the models right now. At least not the way I'm doing it. That wouldn't be a problem if there was some way to render jDoom with Direct3D. I realize that this is something I should fix in the near future but for right now I am unable to test the models. When I use "-allowsoftware" I can see the models and I can see that they are animated but only at a few frames per second and moving too much causes a crash. Also all textures are blurred and muddy so I wouldn't be able to test textures.

My guess is that something is wrong with my video card or the video drivers. I had the same problem with older drivers so maybe not... I wish I was good with this stuff.

Anyways, This is the line i've got in my batch file-
    jDoom.exe -wnd -def c:\DDModels\zombieman_idle.ded -modeldir c:\DDModels\ -warp 1 -skill 3 -v

I also tried different resolutions and fullscreen at different resolutions.

I get a crash when I add "-v -v" so I just tried "-v" (not sure if that was a typo or not) and this is what I got.
    Con_Init: Initializing the console.
    SW_Init: Startup message window opened.
    Executable: Version 1.8.6 Jan  8 2005 (DGL).
    Memory zone: 32.0 Mb.
    Command line (19 strings):
      0: Doomsday.exe
      1: -game
      2: jDoom.dll
      3: -gl
      4: drOpenGL.dll
      5: -userdir
      6: ..\Run\jDoom
      7: -basedir
      8: ..\..\
      9: -wnd
      10: -def
      11: c:\DDModels\zombieman_idle.ded
      12: -modeldir
      13: c:\DDModels\
      14: -warp
      15: 1
      16: -skill
      17: 4
      18: -v
    R_SetDataPath: Data\
    Zip_Init: Initializing package system...
    R_SetDataPath: Data\jDoom\
    Parsing configuration files.
    Con_ParseCommands: jDoom.cfg (def:1)
    W_Init: Init WADfiles.
    W_AddFile: Data\jDoom\Doom2.wad
      IWAD identification: 00f8ccf8
    W_AddFile: Data\Doomsday.wad
    W_AddFile: Data\jDoom\jDoom.wad
      IWAD identification: 00056533
      MAP01-MAP32: C:/Doomsday/Data/jDoom/Doom2.wad
    Con_ParseCommands: Startup.cfg (def:0)
    Parsing user.cfg.
    Reading definition file: Defs\Doomsday.ded
    DED done: Defs\Flags.ded
    DED done: Defs\XG.ded
    DED done: Defs\Doomsday.ded
    Reading definition file: Defs\jDoom\jDoom.ded
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\Objects.ded
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\Sprites.ded
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\Anim.ded
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\Audio.ded
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\Particles.ded
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\Special.ded
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\Details.ded
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\Doom1Lights.ded
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\Lights.ded
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\Maps.ded
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\Finales.ded
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\Text.ded
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\Values.ded
    CheckFile: C:\Doomsday\Defs\jDoom\Models.ded not found.
    CheckFile: C:\Doomsday\Defs\jDoom\User.ded not found.
    DED done: Defs\jDoom\jDoom.ded
    Reading definition file: c:\DDModels\zombieman_idle.ded
    DED done: c:\DDModels\zombieman_idle.ded
    ReadLumpDefs: 0 definition lumps read.
      138 sprite names
     1022 states
      140 things
       48 models
        8 lights
      112 sound effects
       68 songs
      335 text strings
       27 particle generators
        0 detail textures
       22 animation groups
       49 surface decorations
        0 surface reflections
       69 map infos
       12 finales
        0 line types
        0 sector types
    Sys_Init: Setting up machine state.
    Sys_Init: Initializing keyboard, mouse and joystick.
    Sys_InitTimer.
    Sys_InitMixer: Number of mixer devices: 2
    Sys_InitMixer: Logitech USB Headset
      Audio line destinations: 2
    Init CD audio line:
      Destination line idx: 0
      Line ID: 0x20000
      Channels: 2
      Controls: 2
      Name: CD Player (CD Player)
      Volume control ID: 0x9
      Name: Volume (Volume)
      Min/Max: 0/65535
    Init synthesizer line:
      Destination line idx: 0
      Line ID: 0x10000
      Channels: 2
      Controls: 2
      Name: SW Synth (SW Synth)
      Volume control ID: 0x7
      Name: Volume (Volume)
      Min/Max: 0/65535
    Sfx_Init: Initializing DirectSound...
    DS_EAXHasSupport: Property 11 => No
    DS_EAXInit: Required EAX support missing.
    DM_WinMusInit: 2 MIDI-Out devices present.
    DM_WinMusInit: MIDI initialized.
    Mus_Init: Interfaces: Win/Mus FMod/Ext FMod/CD
    S_Init: OK.
    N_SystemInit: OK
    R_Init: Init the refresh daemon.
    R_InitModels: Initializing MD2 models.
      File hash built in 0.00 seconds.
    SkinTex: c:\ddmodels\skin.png => 0
    R_InitModels: Done in 0.02 seconds.
    Net_InitGame: Initializing game data.
    GL_Init: Initializing Doomsday Graphics Library.
    DG_Init: OpenGL.
    drOpenGL.Init: OpenGL driver not accelerated!
    Use the -allowsoftware option to bypass this.

• I'm not sure what your problem is. If you can use D3D renderer and you can load models, then I don't see how you can't do both at the same time. You can't find out how to select renderer from command line? Well, I don't have 1.8.6 to test with, but I found this at the wiki. In short: try adding
    -gl drD3D.dll

to your command line.
  • reg wrote:
    I'm not sure what your problem is. If you can use D3D renderer and you can load models, then I don't see how you can't do both at the same time. You can't find out how to select renderer from command line? Well, I don't have 1.8.6 to test with, but I found this at the wiki. In short: try adding
    -gl drD3D.dll

to your command line.

I should have mentioned that I tried that command already and it still crashed. I also used "-r c:\doomsday\bin\drD3D.dll" which is the command kickstart is using but that didn't work either. So far I haven't been able to render with Direct3D through my batch file.
  • NiuHaka wrote:
    I should have mentioned that I tried that command already and it still crashed. I also used "-r c:\doomsday\bin\drD3D.dll" which is the command kickstart is using but that didn't work either. So far I haven't been able to render with Direct3D through my batch file.
    Well, provide your doomsday.out please. I doubt that "it crashes" is sufficient information to investigate the problem.
  • he did post his doomsday.out, it is saying that "drOpenGL.Init: OpenGL driver not accelerated!" his opengl driver is not accelerated. Unfortunately, I can't help with this because I don't use windows, All I could suggest is trying a different driver
  • KuriKai wrote:
    he did post his doomsday.out, it is saying that "drOpenGL.Init: OpenGL driver not accelerated!" his opengl driver is not accelerated. Unfortunately, I can't help with this because I don't use windows, All I could suggest is trying a different driver
    But then he said that Doomsday crashed with D3D renderer. This may or may not be related.
  • There isn't much else any of us can do because it is his system (i.e., driver) that is reporting a lack of support.

Interestingly that is the same driver revision that I am presently running without issue on my Windows 7 dev machine (though not the exact same binaries as this is a 64bit system).

This would seem to suggest a hardware/driver issue.
  • So there is no way to render with Direct3D. I feared as much. I tried all i could think of to get those drivers working. I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to change my video card back to the old 7800. Bummer.

EDIT:
    reg wrote:
    But then he said that Doomsday crashed with D3D renderer. This may or may not be related.
    I did say that and it is confusing me because D3D works perfectly when I start from Kickstart. So I know that I can run it with D3D but I am unable to do it through my own batch file.
  • One difference is that you appear to be executing jdoom.exe - there is no reason to use these shims nowadays (and in fact I think they fell out of use a long time ago since they weren't updated in line with command line changes in the engine. They've been removed from the distro in subsequent releases).

Please retry using doomsday.exe as the target. Something like this:
    Doomsday.exe -game jDoom.dll -dr drd3d.dll -userdir "..\Run\jDoom" -basedir "..\..\" -wnd -v

• DaniJ wrote:
    One difference is that you appear to be executing jdoom.exe - there is no reason to use these shims nowadays (and in fact I think they fell out of use a long time ago since they weren't updated in line with command line changes in the engine. They've been removed from the distro in subsequent releases).

Please retry using doomsday.exe as the target. Something like this:
    Doomsday.exe -game jDoom.dll -dr drd3d.dll -userdir "..\Run\jDoom" -basedir "..\..\" -wnd -v

Ok I feel like you have helped me get somewhere but I've got a new problem and I'm not sure if it needs a new thread or not. It looks like it starts to work but now it is not reading any of the .ded files. It did find them when I used my previous batch file while using the "-allowsoftware" so i'm pretty sure they work. Here is my newest batch command line and the resulting doomsday.out.

batch file:
    Doomsday.exe -game jDoom.dll -dr drd3d.dll -iwad c:\ddmodels\doom2.wad -userdir c:\doomsday\Run\jDoom -basedir "C:\Program Files\Doomsday" -def c:\DDModels\zombieman_idle.ded -modeldir c:\ddmodels\ -wnd -v

doomsday.out:
    Con_Init: Initializing the console.
    SW_Init: Startup message window opened.
    Executable: Version 1.8.6 Jan  8 2005 (DGL).
    Memory zone: 32.0 Mb.
    Command line (17 strings):
      0: Doomsday.exe
      1: -game
      2: jDoom.dll
      3: -dr
      4: drd3d.dll
      5: -iwad
      6: c:\ddmodels\doom2.wad
      7: -userdir
      8: c:\doomsday\Run\jDoom
      9: -basedir
      10: C:\Program Files\Doomsday
      11: -def
      12: c:\DDModels\zombieman_idle.ded
      13: -modeldir
      14: c:\ddmodels\
      15: -wnd
      16: -v
    R_SetDataPath: Data\
    Zip_Init: Initializing package system...
    DH_ReadStrings: C:\Program Files\Doomsday\Data\cphelp.txt not found.
    R_SetDataPath: Data\jDoom\
    Parsing configuration files.
    Con_ParseCommands: jDoom.cfg (def:1)
    W_Init: Init WADfiles.
    W_AddFile: c:\ddmodels\doom2.wad
      IWAD identification: 00f8ccf8
    W_AddFile: ERROR: C:\Program Files\Doomsday\Data\Doomsday.wad not found!
    W_AddFile: ERROR: C:\Program Files\Doomsday\Data\jDoom\jDoom.wad not found!
      MAP01-MAP32: c:/ddmodels/doom2.wad
    Con_ParseCommands: Startup.cfg (def:0)
    Parsing user.cfg.
    Reading definition file: Defs\Doomsday.ded
    CheckFile: C:\Program Files\Doomsday\Defs\Doomsday.ded not found.
    Reading definition file: Defs\jDoom\jDoom.ded
    CheckFile: C:\Program Files\Doomsday\Defs\jDoom\jDoom.ded not found.
    Reading definition file: c:\DDModels\zombieman_idle.ded
    Def_GetFlagValue: Undefined flag 'mg_monster'.
    DED done: c:\DDModels\zombieman_idle.ded
    ReadLumpDefs: 0 definition lumps read.
    DD_ReadDefs: No state or mobj definitions found!

• Your DEDs and models are being found correctly, it's the engine's own data (e.g., jdoom.wad) that it can't locate from the paths you've supplied.

I'm not understanding what you're trying to do. Is Doomsday installed to c:\Program Files\Doomsday\ or c:\Doomsday\? I ask because your last log output mentions both locations.

Unless necessary leave the -basedir and -userdir options alone, the engine knows how to determine the correct default locations.
  • Heheh! Allow me to clarify. I have no idea what I'm doing here. Most of what i've done is used other peoples work and once I figured out that my computer hates OpenGL I used my very weak powers of deduction to bumble my way through this.

I seriously thank you guys for the quick help but one of the Ascension Team members was able to give me a batch that works.

I seriously doubt that anyone would need this because my OpenGL problem is pretty rare but here is what I had to do to get it to work. I now have a batch file in my "C:\Doomsday\bin" folder with the following command line:
    doomsday -game jdoom.dll -iwad c:\ddmodels\doom2.wad -basedir c:\doomsday -def c:\ddmodels\zombieman_idle.ded -modeldir c:\ddmodels\ -userdir c:\doomsday\run\jdoom -r drd3d.dll

C:\ddmodels\ is the folder that contains my Doom2 wad and my models.
  • Good to hear you are up and running again. Now we just need to get OpenGL working for you, as Doomsday 1.8.6 won't be the latest stable release forever... :-w
  • Yes, that's strange. That driver is supposed to support OpenGL 4.1 - how can it be not accelerated? And previous driver wasn't accelerated either?
    BTW, Service Pack 3 for XP is available.
  • DaniJ wrote:
    Good to hear you are up and running again. Now we just need to get OpenGL working for you, as Doomsday 1.8.6 won't be the latest stable release forever... :-w
    Yes I agree. I might have to test the old laptop to see if it will work some OpenGL magic for me.
    reg wrote:
    Yes, that's strange. That driver is supposed to support OpenGL 4.1 - how can it be not accelerated? And previous driver wasn't accelerated either?
    BTW, Service Pack 3 for XP is available.
    I have no idea but i've seen other threads throughout the net of people with the same problem. All of them are newer video cards and some of them are the exact same video card. Most of those problems were solved by updating their drivers. I can't even fathom what my problem might be.

Oh, and what will SP3 do for me?

Edit: One final question. Does the renderer you use effect the games performance?
  • Just thought I would add this. I found a wikipedia page on the GeForce 400 series of cards which is what i'm using and it had this to say about OpenGL problems that the cards have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_400_Series
    "It has been reported by users as well as developers [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] that nVidia 400-series cards have severe performance problems with 3D content-creation applications such as Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max, Blender, Rhinoceros 3D—as well as some OpenGL games—to the extent that video cards two generations older routinely outperform 400-series in such applications and games. The problem, which affects any OpenGL application using textures, involves accessing framebuffer contents or storing data on the GPU. So far, one customer using an OpenGL based application got a response from nVidia support indicating that the behavior is expected in the GeForce 400 line of cards, and no software update will help improving the performance of the hardware.[21]. The problem can be worked around with a hack by using a CUDA memory copy to access the buffer object."

I did notice a huge drop in performance in Maya when I installed this video card. My 7800 gtx (the old card) outperformed my 460 gtx with regard to Maya and other similar software. The newest video games at their highest settings are amazing with this card but other things suffer greatly.

Long story short, I don't think I'm going to be able to fix my OpenGL issues until I upgrade (not going to happen anytime soon) or downgrade (dammit!) my card.